Burning stability hypothesis?

Ever since I make the mobo BIOS setting to “Plug and Play OS installed”=NO on my system with a 24102B, the stability of burning is much improved, even on straight burning of half dozen of discs. Before that I have some encounters of smart failure when ever the ‘speed-jump’ of the burning algorithm occurs, failure comes in at the same 16X to 20X leap on discs, and failures would gone if discs were set to burn at 16X, which obviously avoided the rotational speed jumps.

Is there some kind of correlation on such setting in mobo BIOS, AFAIK this setting is to tell the mobo allocate IRQ resources on its own and initialize the PCI devices itself, which in my experience contibutes to system stability as a whole, especially on older OSes. Cheers.

If I turn on ‘Plug & Play OS’ on my 400MHz Pentium II PC, Windows XP takes twice as long to boot up and the process ‘System’ in Windows Task Manager gobbles 99% CPU continuously. The Plug & Play OS option works well with ME, but kills any of the NT range of OS’s (NT, 2000, XP).

:wink:

It’s been widely accepted for a long time that you should never have plug and play OS set to yes on any motherboard, under any circumstance.

[b]

Is there some kind of correlation on such setting in mobo BIOS, AFAIK this setting is to tell the mobo allocate IRQ resources on its own and initialize the PCI devices itself, which in my experience contibutes to system stability as a whole, especially on older OSes. Cheers.[/b]

It used to be a solid rule of thumb that you should have the motherboard allocate resources to devices, especially in the Windows 9x environment. This isn’t really true any more with the advanced ACPI functionality in Windows 2000 and XP, provided you have plug and play OS disabled in your BIOS. Letting Windows 2000/XP handle IRQ assignments has proven to actually be better for overall system stability in most cases. Naturally, your own results may vary. :slight_smile:

Well, forgot to mention that my system is XPpro SP1 with IMAPI CD-burning COM Service disabled. Before the burning stability problem happens I have the “PNP OS installed” set to YES, and when it is back to No again the problem apparently gone. :slight_smile: