Burning speeds?

Well ive upgraded from my old laptop. Now im burning with no troubles at all. Except if I try to burn over 4x my discs dont come out correct?
Ive tried using different media, and have had the best results with TDK4x-r.
Im using Dvd Shrink and Roxio. Ive heard mixed thoughts on Roxio. My burner is a liteon 8x + -r/rw, external usb2.0. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Zdvd

you can burn @ 4X to TDK4X -R with great results ? So,um, where is the problem ?

With the tdk 4x media. At 2x I have like 95% good burns, at 4x its more like 50/50 chance.
Before I was useing Memorex 8x -r and very rarely did my burns work. I also seem to have troubles with Roxio smart burn.
To sum it all up if I try and burn above a 2x setting, chances are good its not going to work. :frowning:
Im not sure if its something im doing wrong or if its my Roxio, Liteon , media or a comdination of things??
Something I was reading about is a firmware update but I dont think that applies to me . Anyways for now im just continuing to drag on at 2x…
Zdvd

Yo-

Could also be how your laptop is getting its power - on battery or through the converter-

The other factor may be in multitasking - if you are while the burn in process - could have an affect on your burn quality - best to leave any ‘puter alone while burnin’ as it is CPU usage intensive-

Mike

I hear ya there about leaving the pute alone when burning. I very rarely interrupt it when its busy. Im doing all my burns on a desktop. Celeron D@2.93/512ddr/533fsb/winxp. Lite-on 8x dvd r/rw. Just odd that any burns above 2x dont work?
Zdvd

Yo-

I know that this is very basic - but have you checked your DMA setting in device manager??

If the drive is in PIO mode - then it is going to be approximately 50% slower than if DMA is enabled…

Mike

what is the mid code on your media…i have read some people are having trouble with tdk 001 here one for example http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113841 another thing you can look at is firmware or even try Dvd decryptor which is freeware at http://doom9.org so you can eliminate weather it is roxio or not