Burning Speed

Just a quick question about DVD burning.

When given the choice of multiple burning speeds, does burning faster or slower provide the better quality?

When I was using cheap disks and only had like 3 speeds to choose from, I chose the slowest all the time, and always got a great recording. Then I got a spindle of good quality DVD’s where I’ve got 5 or 6 speeds to choose from. Choosing the slowest ruined several disks! So I went to the middle setting, better, but I still get several “glitches” here and there. I haven’t tried the fastest burning speed yet, could it be that faster is better? (not according to my wife it isn’t! :stuck_out_tongue: LOL)

//Captain.Jerry/

There’s no simple answer, every possible combination of media/burner/firmware is going to give different results. Having said that, ‘slower is better’ is a myth and will very often yield lower burn quality. With a reasonably new burner, you will typically find your best burn quality at, or sometimes one speed slower, its rated burn speed. One common exception is 16x media, which will usually burn best at 12x or 8x. If you are using very poor media or your burn has poor support for the media, you might get better results at less than rated speeds, but your best bet is usually to burn at rated speeds (except 16x) and go from there.

CaptainJerry

I have found four different factors come into play when burning DVD’s.

The Software you use to burn with (I use CloneDVD 2).

The Software that you use to decrypt with (I use AnyDVD)

Your DVD burner. The better quality burners are more forgiving toward poor quality media.

And of course the speed. I bet you thought that the make of DVD media would be one of my four factors, it’s not a concern to me at all. My burning software gives me the option of burning at 4x 8x 12x 16x however; when burning using 16x blanks, I only burn at 6x or 8x and when burning to Dual Layer 2.4x, I always burn at 2.4.

I found that DVD Burner quality determines how many speeds that I have access to.

Although you might get a few arguments about which burners are the best, I firmly believe that Plextors are the very best.

I have: 1 Plextor PX-760A (PATA)
1 Plextor PX-755SA Serial ATA (SATA)
1 Plextor PX-716SA Serial ATA (SATA)

For what ever reason, I have found that I almost always get great results when I burn with one of my Serial ATA connected burners.

What DVD-R blanks do I use. I always purchase from allmediaoutlet.com and currently use a no name brand 16X “BurnMaster DVD-R (DVDR) 16X High-Speed White Inkjet Hub Printable Blank DVD Media”. BTW: I almost never make coasters and I firmly believe that the reason I don’t make coaster is because of the burners that I use.

Eric

From the “Inland Empire”

Have to agree with Scoobie.

Start with the rated speed of the media, except as he says 16x where 12x is generally the best start point.

Poor quality media might need to be burned at a slower speed to get satisfactory results but with quality media it’s always got to be rated speed as the first option.

Some media like Taiyo Yuden T02 , 8x +R, will burn almost as well at 16x as at 8x. Obviously this depends alot on the burner.

Also make sure to keep your hard drive defragmented. The more fragmented it is, the harder it has to work to keep up with the burn speed, therefore it could cause problems such as the burner having to wait on the info to write to disc, and this could possibly lead to coasters.

Good point.

Wow! Excellent advice. Thanks everyone.

I do keep my system in tune. Actually, I use my test-system for burning (so I don’t tie up our main system, that my wife is usually on!) and I keep it defragged often, even if I don’t keep very much real data on it… (but using DVD Shrink ~ Write it, delete it, write it, delete it, LOL)

I’m using NTI CD&DVD-Maker as my burning software, and have been very pleased with it’s performance. Also using a relatively cheap Sony for my burner (I don’t know the model offhand) but It’s been cranking out burns quite nicely… when I choose the right speeds for the media… I’ll stick with it, till it dies, then I’ll come back here and check out the recommendations.

Eric… Is the “Inland Empire” that you reference, the one in my back yard of The O.C. ? I don’t know of another Inland Empire 'cept for where Riverside/Ontario/Etc. are ~ I use to live there in the late 80’s

Thanks for the recommendation on disks, curious about why you choose - instead of + (I know, that question has probably been beaten to death here!) I did some research once, and was under the impression that + had a more stable “feel” amongst the community. I don’t know ~ My research led me both ways with every other article/post…

Scoobie… I think I’ll adopt your advice as my standard starting point of choosing one step less then the highest speed, and go from there. My opposite approach doesn’t seem to pan out well, so thanks!

Thanks everyone, glad I joined.

Welcome to CDFreaks, nice picture :stuck_out_tongue: . Download a program called Nero CD-DVD Speed, you’ll want it as it allows you to do a number of things such as checking your burner model, testing burned discs, and identifying the true manufacturer of the discs you use. If you can get the program and tell us which burner model you have, we can provide alot more specific advice, same with the media you use. Older Sony drives were mostly Liteon drives, some of the newer ones are Benq. In either case, you will be better off flashing the firmware in the drive to Liteon or Benq firmware for better performance in terms of burn quality, read speeds, compatibility with newer media, etc. For example, simply updating the firmware to a better one may allow media that burned poorly at any speed to be burned well at its rated speed, etc.

Just want to second [B]Scoobiedoobie[/B]'s input :iagree: - listen to the man, he knows what he’s talking about. :wink:

I see I’ve finally fooled you. :smiley:

“Finally”?? :confused: :confused: - then I’m even more naïve than you think I am, man, as you’ve been “fooling” me for quite some time… :doh:

:wink: - and enough OT for now… :bigsmile:

It sure sounds like he knows the score! LOL

I’ve got that program downloaded (to my flash drive) ~ I’ll run it when I get home, and let ya’ know what it says.

I didn’t know you could flash firmware on a drive to something designed for a different type of drive. Ya’ learn something new every day (but I’m usually so uninformed, that I learn at least 2 new things a day!) LOL

I’m glad I joined this place :slight_smile: Hope I’ll eventually be able to help other people.

//Captain.Jerry/

It’s generally known as ‘cross-flashing’, often there are brands that use an OEM of another brand, some common examples include Sony using Liteon and Benq, Plextor using Benq, Maddog using NEC, etc. Sometimes the brand will use their own firmware, but the hardware is actually the same. You can use a specially modified firmware that allows you to flash the firmware to its ‘true’ drive, and often you can also do just the opposite - for example, flashing a NEC with Maddog firmware. The firmware development and overall quality of the actual drive make is usually better, although not always.

How interesting ~ Sounds a lot like my Programming Career! (“Oh yeah, this modification will make the system a lot better… maybe… if it’s Tuesday… and raining… in Africa!”) ROFL…

//Captain.Jerry/

Wow, what a program. I’m going to have to read up on what tests do what, but for now, the drive box said…
SONY DVD RW 710A BYX2

Does that tel ya’ what type of drive it is? Or do i need to look elsewhere?

Thanks again,

//Captain.Jerry/

That makes it a Liteon 1633/1653. I would either crossflash it to a 1653 or at least update to the latest Sony firmware. You can find them here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#DRU-710A If you keep it as a Sony, use the BYX5 - stock firmware (not the patched). For the Liteon FW, use either of the patched CSOT firmwares. The Liteon will likely be an improvement over the Sony firmware, although both would be fine.

dvd media should be always burned at their rated speeds, eg. 8x at 8x if possible.
You would get the best results this way using good and reliable media, with cheap media you can get any results from a coaster to “seems to work nicely but will fail 2 weeks after burning completely”.

In the end, buying cheap media will make you pay twice…

Not [I]always[/I]. :disagree:
For example, in many burners most 16X rated media burn better @12X.
Also odd batches of good media can sometimes benefit from a slower writing speed.
Last but not least, truly “multispeed” 16X media can be burnt at slow speeds with good results, like genuine MCC 03RG20 and TDK TTH02.

Okay, I crossflashed it to a BYX5 (whatever that makes it now!) but I haven’t noticed any difference, yet. I guess I was expecting it to do a dance for me, wash the dishes, and maybe brush the cat! LOL

Actually I’ve been having a problem ripping a DVD so haven’t had a chance to actually burn a DVD yet! I posted my problem on the DVD & Copy Protection Board but haven’t gotten any responses yet… http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178917

//Captain.Jerry/

BYX5 is Sony’s latest FW, you didn’t crossflash it, you just updated the firmware. Regarding your other problem, you may want to run either the pre-compressed rip or post-compressed data through VOBblanker, there may be some unreferenced titles that are throwing things off. Also, you could try ripping with DVD Decrypter - unless it is one of the newer titles with copyright protection that DVD Decrypter can’t handle, I find DVD Decrypter to be the best ripper to use.