Burning (simultaneously) 4 DVDs at once (on mainly SH-203B burners)

Hi
Just to let you guys know… I have tried to burn 4 DVDs at once on my new computer with 3 Samsung SH-203B’s and 1 Pioneer DVR-212, all on SATAs of course. As I have read that setting burners to SATA slave, should not mean a thing, I have some proofs to the contrary.
3.0GHz Core2Duo, on Asus P5K3 mobo, on IDE-mode, Nero 8.1.1.0
SATA1 (master): WDC Raptor 150GB
SATA2 (master): Samsung SH-203B FW: S203B.SB01-2.patched-fr
SATA3 (slave): Samsung SH-203B FW: S203B.SB01-2.patched-fr
SATA4 (master): Samsung SH-203B FW: S203B.SB01-2.patched-fr
SATA5 (master): Pinoeer DVR-212 FW: 1.24

I found out that test mode in Nero doesn’t mean a thing, so this is actual burns, not simulation-mode tests:
TEST 1: Burned 4.4GB video data on all 4 burners. Took 1 hour.
TEST 2: Burned 4.4GB video data on SATA2 & SATA3 sammys: 15% burned over 6 mins. I aborted the burning.
TEST 3: Burned 4.4GB video data on SATA2 & SATA4 sammys: Burning finished in 5:45.
So apparently as I see it, SATA master & slave positions matter, and are not only about if the drives can boot up from BIOS or not… As I have read all places so far in this forum…

First off Welcome to the forums, I have 3 S203B’s in my main system right now and I
have a 4th one hooked up on a eSATA enclosure and I can burn 4.4 @12x on all 4 of
them in about 6.01 to 6.03 with 3 hooked to the mobo SATA ports. If it is taking you
an hour to burn 4.4 with all 4 of them at the same time then you definitely have a minor
problem somewhere maybe driver/hdd related. :confused:

I have the 2x203B + 165P6SX + Pioneer 112 (IDE) in same PC and there’s no problems burning on all 4 at 12x (Same time as one disc burn with the 203B which is the slower 12x burner). Haven’t tried 16x but i don’t think it’s a problem… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies. Could you please tell me if your SATAs you have hooked the burners up to are only SATA masters, or also some SATA slaves?

Thanks…

[QUOTE=supervizor;1930577]Thanks for the replies. Could you please tell me if your SATAs you have hooked the burners up to are only SATA masters, or also some SATA slaves?

Thanks…[/QUOTE]

I don’t believe the Master/Slave settings has anything to do with SATA ports anymore because if I’m thinking
correctly each channel is a separate channel like SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, SATA3, etc.,etc.,etc.,etc., not like the
old IDE primary and secondary ports with Master/Slave settings. :wink:

Agree [I]getit29.[/I] :iagree:

Welcome to cdfreaks [I]supervizor.[/I] :slight_smile:
This is all old ATAPI technology simplifying things that has nothing to do with SATA.
BTW, don’t think burning a disc for one hour is helthy for your 20x burners…

I burned 2 Verb +R DL’s @4X MKM-001’s at the same time once. My Dare thread is here somewhere :stuck_out_tongue: and i used my Plextor 760A(PATA) and my Samsung SH-S203B (SATA).

Thanks.
Well, I don’t think its healthy either to burn that long time and to back forthing the buffers on the drives (as they did), rest assured… :slight_smile:

Well, this is the one thing I can tell you for sure. Yesterday, when I burned on all 3 sammys (with one on slave SATA) did take over 6 mins. to complete 15% (and after that I aborted the burn), and today, I put all 3 sammys on master SATAs, and they completed in 5:45.
• Same 3 sammys
• Same data (4.4 Gig. DVD video)
only change is, that they are all on master (red) SATA connectors.
No windows update, no firmware update, no Nero update, no installation of any sort…

Taking that you all are telling the truth (and why would you not :flower: when you only is trying to help me, and thanks for that) would for me the only conclusion be, that it is something to do with how my motherboard (Asus P5K3 Deluxe) and how it handles SATA connections… Don’t you think?

Thanks, in advance…

Okay [I]supervizor,[/I] rest asured there is no Primary/Secondary/Or whatever, when it comes to SATA. :smiley:

Normally colour indication is just used to separate connectors to the chip governs them.
On my motherboard red connectors are govern by mobos southbridge and the black ones by an add-on onboard chip (SiI).
Whats the make and model of your motherboard.

[quote=pinto2;1930787]Okay [I]supervizor,[/I] rest asured there is no Primary/Secondary/Or whatever, when it comes to SATA. :smiley:

[/quote] While this is technically true, some BIOSes do list SATA drives as Master/Slave, Master/Slave, etc. Very confusing. :Z May also be related to which onboard SATA controller is being used (Intel, Nvidia, Jmicron, Silicon Image) and whether they are running in RAID/AHCI or Legacy IDE mode…

This was a somewhat troubled burn. Took 12-13 min but finished well :slight_smile:
(I too had the feeling there was no master/slave settings for SATA drives. Anyway i just plug them in and if they work it’s cool. If not i try harder :slight_smile: )

Yeah, well, the master SATA connections works best for me, so I stay with that for now… I don’t know what to experiment with anymore…
It seems to be an ICH9R SATA controller on the mobo. (Maybe I should try to update that somehow…)
Everything is running in IDe mode as stated before (as I have read on the forums that AHCI still is too unmature to use, at least on Win XP.)

Also, interesting screenshots CJ2. In addition to that I would like to add, that when burning with at least one SATA slave drive, that my buffer level seems to do a (very) bumpy ride as yours seems to do (well a 1 hour burn sure is can be bumpy), but when all on master SATA, it goes only down to 98%, and so the buffer stays apparently rock solid in contrary.

(Running on Asus P5K3 Deluxe, newest FW: 0704. 3.0GHz Core2Duo, 2GB XMS DDR3 1333MHz RAM, WDC Raptor 150GB HD, burning from external USB2.0 WDC MyBook 750GB HD.)

Off topic.[QUOTE=RWP;1930804]While this is technically true, some BIOSes do list SATA drives as Master/Slave, Master/Slave, etc. Very confusing. :Z …[/QUOTE]Happy to see programmers of my BIOS on a more then two years old Intel 865PE mobo got it “right” anyway…:bigsmile:
Adding pic below.
End off topic.

Hope that we can concentrate on topic again.
Burning on several drives simultaneously is not about what OP been telling us, it’s all about your system/mobo configuration, SATA channel settings and processor used.
And ICH9R can support up to 6 SATA ports/devices and none of them is secondary…
:wink:

[QUOTE=supervizor;1930871]…(Running on Asus P5K3 Deluxe, newest FW: 0704. 3.0GHz Core2Duo, 2GB XMS DDR3 1333MHz RAM, WDC Raptor 150GB HD, [B]burning from external USB2.0[/B] WDC MyBook 750GB HD.)[/QUOTE]HDD on USB2 bus will never be able to feed more then 1 burner at 16x speed, less 3 or 4 burners been used in test.

Make same test with files burned from your Raptor and you’ll almost be able to feed 4 burners at 16x.
Wanna speed up thingz even more then get a Quad core chip. :wink:

pinto2; I can tell you that all tests that I have run so far and I describe here, are all run from USB2.0 MyBook 750GB. Both the 3 simultaneous succesfull 5:45 min. burns, and the errorus ones. So I don’t think it’s an issue. It seems to me that I even burn faster with 3 sammys from my USB2.0 disk (when all are in SATA master) than some of you in this thread.

Before I went to bed to night I installed the newest chipset drivers (not only the update I did before, when I only opdated something I remember to be Unkwown sm bus driver, choosing Re-install device in Device Manager) but now, run the setup.exe from the Intel chipset driver dir. It seems, quite many things have changed in my Device Manager, as well the SATA drivers names, so my hopes are quite high when I try to burn with all 4 burners tonight (Pioneer now on slave SATA).

I use Nero Exress 6 and ImgBurn. I don’t think either supports multi drive burns. Which SW do you guys use for multi burns?

I think you have to use the full Nero prog., not the Express version of it, otherwise, it can’t be done… In Nero Express 7 & 8 (maybe 6 as well) there is an option called Switch to Nero Burning ROM.

@falberni
supervizor is correct you will need the full version of Nero to use more than
one burner at a time Nero Express 6 just won’t do it. I use the full version of
Nero 6 and it will burn on multiple burners at the same time with no problem. :wink:

Ok, so now I have tried to burn 4 DVDs at once again (@16x), after updating to the latest Intel chipset drivers. It is still not optimal, but much better than before. Before updating the chipset drivers it took me 1 hour to burn 4.4 GB, now it took me 15½ mins.

The other differences was also that this was an iso-file (not stand-alone VOBs & IFOs) abd that my Pinoeer was this time on the SATA slave, and not one of the Samsungs. The first 15% of the burning the buffer level jumped up and down on all drives, but after that, only the Pioneer (only one on SATA slave) did this, and so caused all other drives to slow down as well…

But well, I would (so would you I guess) recommend everyone to install chipset drivers, because it seems it makes quite much difference when burning on several burners at once, and to try to keep it updated as well…

I wonder what the sense behind that is.

I never would have the need of more than 2 backups of a disc…