Burning Requirement

Hello There everyone,

I just wanted to send post this thread as you all seem so knowledgeable and I had a question and wasn’t quite sure where to post it (or even if I am on the right forum)!

I am interested, you see, in creating copies of my very large classical music collection, in the best possible quality. I currently have a Pioneer CDR (Called PDR-609), which is a hi-fi seperate, which records using an optical lead into my CD player. Will this always be higher quality than if I used a PC burner?

Is there anything else I need to consider here? I am frustrated by the media limitation of the pioneer, and the fact that I cannot just get a load of Taioya Yuden discs and get going. Is there actually any difference between a normal CDR and an “Audio” one, in quality?

Any help much appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Paul

Hi,

If there is any difference at all (if you are using a not-so-good CD writer), you won’t see/hear it.

Is there anything else I need to consider here?
You need a good quality CD writer and of course good media.

I am frustrated by the media limitation of the pioneer, and the fact that I cannot just get a load of Taioya Yuden discs and get going. Is there actually any difference between a normal CDR and an “Audio” one, in quality?
The media limitation (only “audio CD-R” are permitted) is common with all standalone CD recorders. As I have read in another post of yours, you live in the UK. I think, you can get TY CD-R at svp.co.uk.
The only difference between “audio CD-R” and “Data CD-R” is the special marking on the Audio type that indicates, the additional levys are paid.

Michael

P.S.: I suggest moving this into the newbie or in the audio forum :wink:

Thank you so much for your reply.

But surely, there will be audio loss, going into a computer, then back out onto a disc? As opposed to on a hifi, it going down the digital cable (red light)? Or not?

Bits is Bits, so no. You can use CDex or EAC to extract from the CD and either will perform any error correction needed.