Burning real slow

A friend of mine is having trouble copying a dvd from one drive to the next. Don’t worry, it’s not a copy protected movie or anything of that sorts. Anyways, he put the dvd into his dvd-rom and a blank Verbatim dvd-r into his burner. He tried to use Nero Express to copy directly from one drive to the next. When the burn started, it indicated it was going to take 1 hour and 2 min to burn. I had just done the exact same thing on my computer with the exact same dvd and it took about 12 min. What could be causing the burn time to take so long?

His drives are a Sony DRU-830A and a Memorex dvd-rom reader using ide connections. He built this computer about 4 years ago using an ASUS motherboard P4VT-MX and has 1G of memory. His processor is a P4 2.8 GHz. His was using Nero 7 Premium.

Something else, he mentioned that when he tries to play a dvd in either drive, he gets no sound during playback, but, has video. It doesn’t matter if it’s a movie he bought or one made of his kids birthday party.

I’m sure he’d appreciate any thoughts that could point him the right direction to solving his problem. Thanks!

Hi,[QUOTE=Hercules1;2231062]A friend of mine is having trouble copying a dvd from one drive to the next. (…) Anyways, he put the dvd into his dvd-rom and a blank Verbatim dvd-r into his burner. He tried to use Nero Express to copy directly from one drive to the next. [/quote]This is not a good idea at all. Many drives read slower than a DVD writer is able to burn, so a “on-the-fly” copy is like calling for trouble.

When the burn started, it indicated it was going to take 1 hour and 2 min to burn. (…) What could be causing the burn time to take so long?
It should be verified, DMA is enabled. The setting “DMA if available” does not say much, it’s the [B]current transfer mode[/B], that matters: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Something else, he mentioned that when he tries to play a dvd in either drive, he gets no sound during playback, but, has video.
There is a problem with the decoders. I suggest reinstalling the DVD player software. Or try VLC.

Michael

Thanks for the help. I’ll forward your recommendations to him.

I have question about buning from one drive directly to the next. I do it all the time with burn speeds from 8x to 16x without any problems. I’ve only done it with Verbatim dvd-r or, recently, Memorex (CMC) dvd+r. Eventhough I’m having successful burns done this way, would it be better to select a burn speed a step slower than the speed the source drive reads for a given media type?

Hi,[QUOTE=Hercules1;2231807]
I have question about buning from one drive directly to the next. I do it all the time with burn speeds from 8x to 16x without any problems. [/quote]I guess, the realy burn speed is lower, at least with more than 8x selected.

Eventhough I’m having successful burns done this way, would it be better to select a burn speed a step slower than the speed the source drive reads for a given media type?
I think so. But I doubt, you have any advantage over reading to HDD and then burn to disc.
Every time, the DVD-ROM is slower than your burner, your drive’s buffer underrun protection will kick in. At least in these periods, your burn quality will be affected in a negative manner.

You may do this:
Get Nero CD/DVD Speed. Do a benchmark with your DVD-ROM (and save the screenshot, since you need it)
Then do a test burn with “Create Disc”.
Now compare the screenshots of reading and burning.

Michael

I already have, and use, CD-DVD Speed. Strangely, I’ve never benchmarked my dvd-rom. I’ll have to compare the two. Especially, since this weekend, I’ll be replacing my dvd-rom with a second burner…I have a Pioneer DVR-116DBK coming in. I was planning on pairing it with my Lite-On iHAP422.

I’m still going to benchmark the dvd-rom to see the comparison. I know the last dvd I made, using the drive to drive burn, I scanned with CD-DVD Speed. I know I was happy with the burn. I can’t remember the technical scores other than it got a 95% quality score. I burned that dvd at 12x, but, I remember thinking the dvd-rom probably doesn’t read at that speed. Also, I know the source disk was dvd-r and the disk being burned was dvd+r. Anyways, I’ll have to compare the two before I remove the dvd-rom.

Thanks again!