Greetings to all:
I have been lurking on this forum for a little while, gathering info, and have finally joined.
I have been having a problem burning of late, and would welcome any input that you folks might have.
First off, I am burning in the following environment:
Athlon XP 3000
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe MB w/NForce 2 chipset
512 MB PC3200 Corvair RAM, DDR 400 MHz
Plextor 708A IDE burner
Windows 2000 Pro, all SPs & fixes
Nero v6, all SPs & fixes
Primary IDE channel: master - HD containing OS, slave - HD containing app data
Secondary IDE channel: master - Sony CD-ROM, secondary - Plextor 708A
Here’s a brief description of the problem that I have been having:
- This problem is much more prevalent when burning DVDs than CD-Rs
- When burning DVDs (data and MP3s using +R, -R, +RW) Nero will freeze at various points during a burn. This will happen with 25 - 50% of the discs that I attempt to burn. When this happens, I have to force a warmboot as the system becomes unresponsive.
- Nero never reports any errors, and Task Manager reports Nero as ‘runnning’, not ‘not responding’.
- After a system recycle, if I attempt a burn of the same data with a new disc, the burn may complete successfully or fail again at some point. If it fails, it may do so at a different spot in the burn than on the previous attempt.
- I have tried to slow the burner down to the slowest speed (2X), and will still see the same behavior.
- This has happened with all types of blanks (MCC as well as mid and low end brands)
This is driving me crazy. At first, I thought that it may have been a hardware/firmware problem. The drive’s firmware has been upgraded twice (currently at 1.10), and this problem has persisted with all versions. I have also tried using EZCD creator (which I despise, BTW), and had the same problems. I have read here that it may be some incompatibility with the NForce chipset, but am not sure if this is the culprit or not.