Burning problems

vbimport

#1

Greetings to all:

I have been lurking on this forum for a little while, gathering info, and have finally joined.

I have been having a problem burning of late, and would welcome any input that you folks might have.

First off, I am burning in the following environment:
Athlon XP 3000
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe MB w/NForce 2 chipset
512 MB PC3200 Corvair RAM, DDR 400 MHz
Plextor 708A IDE burner
Windows 2000 Pro, all SPs & fixes
Nero v6, all SPs & fixes

Primary IDE channel: master - HD containing OS, slave - HD containing app data
Secondary IDE channel: master - Sony CD-ROM, secondary - Plextor 708A

Here’s a brief description of the problem that I have been having:

  • This problem is much more prevalent when burning DVDs than CD-Rs
  • When burning DVDs (data and MP3s using +R, -R, +RW) Nero will freeze at various points during a burn. This will happen with 25 - 50% of the discs that I attempt to burn. When this happens, I have to force a warmboot as the system becomes unresponsive.
  • Nero never reports any errors, and Task Manager reports Nero as ‘runnning’, not ‘not responding’.
  • After a system recycle, if I attempt a burn of the same data with a new disc, the burn may complete successfully or fail again at some point. If it fails, it may do so at a different spot in the burn than on the previous attempt.
  • I have tried to slow the burner down to the slowest speed (2X), and will still see the same behavior.
  • This has happened with all types of blanks (MCC as well as mid and low end brands)

This is driving me crazy. At first, I thought that it may have been a hardware/firmware problem. The drive’s firmware has been upgraded twice (currently at 1.10), and this problem has persisted with all versions. I have also tried using EZCD creator (which I despise, BTW), and had the same problems. I have read here that it may be some incompatibility with the NForce chipset, but am not sure if this is the culprit or not.

HELP!

Mark


#2

First, make sure that your hard drive has been defragged. Then, reboot into safe mode and try again. If it works fine, your problem is likely background tasks that are causing your problems. Only other likely suspect is media. What brand and media id are you using.


#3

Weird! My first guess would be that the Plextor is having a power struggle with your Sony CD-ROM, DVD burners just love being Master. Try switching up the chain of command in your system and see if that helps.


#4

Quote:

Originally posted by tehgrue
Weird! My first guess would be that the Plextor is having a power struggle with your Sony CD-ROM, DVD burners just love being Master. Try switching up the chain of command in your system and see if that helps.

Not so in my experience. I’ve a Benq 1620 as master & an LG4163B as slave , neither is in anyway affected. There are very mixed views on this but I’ve never seen any evidence to support this line of thought.

Presumably you’ve checked that DMA is on for all devices?


#5

Thanks for the reply. I defrag weekly using Diskeeper, and the drives are clean and in excellent condition.

I haven’t tried burning in Safe Mode, which is an interesting suggestion. Although my system is fast, the Plextor only has a 2MB onboard cache, and it is possible that this could be a buffer problem caused by other running processes. I’ll give that a try.


#6

I have thought about doing this, although this has not been a problem in other systems in the past. Perhaps I’ll give this a try as well.


#7

I have not. Do tell…


#8

Go into device manager (Control Manager->SYSTem->Hardware) & expand the IDE/ATA controller. Look at advanced settings for both the Primary & Secondary IDE Channels.
Hard drives should be Ultra DMA mode 5 or better (eg 6) & optical devices (CD/DVD) Ultra DMA 2 or better. Typically a CD/DVD Writer is dma 2 & a DVD-ROM is 5. That’s on my system anyway.