Burning Problems with NEC 3500 AG

I have been struggling for over a year with a problem burning disks with my NEC 3500 AG. Finally resolved one issue. My Tyan motherboard built in IDE controller was not compatible with the drive. Changing software drivers did not help, but adding a new IDE controller board did.
Now I can burn to cheap generic CD’s all day long without errors.

My problem is in burning DVD’s. I have tried at least 5 different -R disks, and also Sony DVD -RW disks. This weekend I decided to try DVD+R disks and bought Phillips disks right off of NEC’s recommended list. I get about 1 good burn for every 10 attempts. The failures are either immediate in most cases, which at least doesn’t ruin the disk. In other cases, the disk seems to burn all of the way through, and then freezes at 100%, but never closes out the disk. In these cases, you can visually see the burn on the disk, but no computer can recognize any files.

I am using Nero 7, or Burn4Free, or even Windows XP internal burning program, all to the same end. I have also tried Magix Movie Editor Pro.

The drive has been updated to the latest Firmware.

Windows XP SP2 is up to date.

The drive actually ran fine on the same machine under Windows 98. I upgraded with the intention of being able to handle larger video files. I have been miserable ever since!

Any suggestions?

Can you tell us some basic PC specs?
Also the IDE controller type it’s connected to, as optical drives are very fussy about PCI IDE controllers.

Attached is an Everest report that should provide everything you need. Also attached are two recent error logs from failed Nero burns.

burn failure.txt (53.3 KB)

burn failure 2.txt (27.4 KB)

Report 7-4-07.zip (15.9 KB)

[07:04:58] NeroVision 7:04:02 AM #9 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2737
[07:04:58] NeroVision Recorder: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG, Media type: DVD+R
[07:04:58] NeroVision
[07:04:58] NeroVision 7:04:02 AM #10 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 474
[07:04:58] NeroVision >>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<
[07:04:58] NeroVision =========================================
[07:04:58] NeroVision Insert empty disc to write to.
[07:04:58] NeroVision ([B]Medium in drive: unknown.[/B] Medium required by compilation: DVD R/RW, DVD+R DL.)

Media recognition problem, clean the drive.

How do I clean the drive?

Maybe with a cd/dvd lens cleaner.

I used a Maxell lens cleaner. Same problem with the same supposedly Philips compatible disks. The new error log is attached.

burn failure 3.txt (52.5 KB)

You need to get DMA turned on.

[13:39:54] NeroVision DiskPeripheral : WDC WD600BB-75CAA0 atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
[13:39:54] NeroVision CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG2.1A ultra Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off
[13:39:54] NeroVision DiskPeripheral : WDC WD1600JB-00REA0 20.0 ultra Port 2 ID 2 DMA: Off

Keep in mind, this is an old VIA Apollo KT133A mobo… :Z

[I]Note.[/I] Nero is not able to repport propper DMA mode when drives connected to an add on PCI to IDE controller card…

[I]@gvolgas[/I], make sure your add on card drivers are installed and compatible with DVD burners

I have been struggling for over a year with a problem burning disks with my NEC 3500 AG. Finally resolved one issue. My Tyan motherboard built in IDE controller was not compatible with the drive. Changing software drivers did not help, but adding a new IDE controller board did.

I’ll check, but even before the added IDE channels, the DVD burner worked well with Windows 98. And today it seems to wrok fine with burning CD’s even a very high speed.

The new IDE controller is a Promise Technology Ultra 66 card. The Promise web site offers drivers for Win 98, NT and 2000. In trying to insure that the DMA was turned on, I found that there was no place to do so. I don’t know hardware (or software for that matter) well enough to understand why, but the normal Control/System/Device Manager settings did not report a DMA channel in use for the drive, nor a place to turn it on.

Here is a little more information.

[B]I seem to have no problems burning DVD’s with DVDFab, a DVD duplicator program. [/B]

With Nero, the burn (on the same DVD) never starts.

With Burn4Free, the burn goes all the way through but fails with the program reporting 100% complete. The resulting DVD noticeably has something burned on it, but cannot be read.

The program DVD Identifier v4.10 does not recognize the Philips DVD+R disks.

I’d be content if all I wanted to do was burn copied DVD’s, but I want to make data dvd’s as well.

You wanna tell us you have connected the dvd burner to the promise controller?

Their controllers are made for HDDs only!!

That is what I am telling you! And it works as I mentioned under the conditions described above.
Does anyone know the differences in the software packages?

You shouldn’t use opticals with Promise controllers anyway.
I’ve tried various dvd drives on various Promise controllers and none worked properly…

[B]chef[/B] is correct. Promise PCI IDE controllers won’t work correctly with Optical drives.
They may work to some degree at slower burning speeds on some systems, but generally they are for hard drives only.

The only PCI IDE card i have had any success with is cards based on the SI-680a chipset.

OK. (Again…a hardware newbie here) what do I need to get to properly run this drive?

Can someone suggest a controller that might work with my system?

Silicon Image SI680a based card.
You’ll need to search around. Many PCI IDE cards use this chipset. You’ll also need to try and find one that is either IDE only (not RAID) or find one with a flashable BIOS so you can flash a non RAID BIOS to the card.

Thanks. I will search.
Still confused as to why DVD Fab runs so well. I have tried working with the publisher, but there is a bit of a language issue I think. Still, he speaks more English than I do German.
Thanks for the help.

OK. I have purchased a SI680A controller card.
Same problems exist. Was I supposed to disable RAID? Here is the Silcfg setup configuration is attached.

Please don’t give up on me. I have invested a year and a bunch of money trying to make this work.

WR200CFG.txt (14.6 KB)