Burning Problem

I have been burning avi files to DVD with no problem and speed was good. The DVD burner is listed as HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L and I’m using Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 with Windows Vista.

Now the burning speed has dropped to about 10 hours to burn one DVD. The only thing I have done is install Microsoft .net framework 3.5 SP1. I have since unistalled it and also did a system restore but no luck fixing the speed problem. I have also uninstalled the Roxio program and reinstalled it.

Any suggestions???

Always the first place to look: Check your DMA settings for the drive.

I think I should check the DMA settings through Device Manager and then IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers however using VISTA I don’t see that listing in Device Manager. Any suggestions?

Yes enter control panel and select system maintenance. then system and then device manager to the left. In device manager expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Then right click one of the IDE Channel and choose properties. Then go to advanced settings and that should tell you if you in DMA or PIO and do that for all the IDE channel listed. Make sure you have enable DMA checked to

Thanks but my problem is that when I’m in device manager I do not have anything in the list that says : IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

OK try uninstalling your DVD drive and reboot then let VISTA install it again. That is all I can think of as I have no idea why you not have that listed.

Thanks…will give that a try when I get home from work.

Well tried unistalling and letting Vista reinstall which all went well.

But no improvement in the speed and no listing for ata/atapi controllers in Device Manager.

Any other ideas???

i think you change your drive with a dvd r/rw/ r dl drive.dvd ram drives acts like a removable hard drive beneficial for backing up data.for your software use nero , roxio is naturally slow i have both of them.

OK…will give that a try…txs

I don’t know if this will help but these are the DMA locations for my Vista OS:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-i-should-have-known-better-262477/index2.html#post2199043
I have never had a burn take over 20 minutes.
Sometime a difficult rip has taken over an hour but usuly 45 minutes or under & thats when compresing.