Burning problem using Nero 6.6 with NEC-3540A

I’m having problems with the NEC-3540A (firmware version 1.01, NOT modded) and Nero 6.6.0.6. I’m using Win XP Pro SP2 and Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo with nVidia nForce 4 IDE drivers. The burner is hooked up as PATA secondary slave (a harddrive is connected on secondary master) using DMA transfer mode. I’ve been using burners for many years, but this problem has eluded me so far.

The problem scenarios are as follows:

When burning DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-R discs:

Nero tends to halt during the burning process. It just stops, while the burning light on the DVD-burner still blinks. There are no error or status messages. The halt can occur at the beginning or at the end of the burn. The disc can’t be ejected because the burner is still in burn-mode. This doesn’t happen every time, but roughly 3 out of 5 times.

After a successful burn, the disc verification says that certain segments of the DVD is unreadable. This has happened a few times in the past (it may depend on the quality of the media), but not as often as now.

I’ve tried using 4-5 different kinds of media, including high quality Verbatim discs (both DVD+R and DVD+RW). The error almost seem to occur at random: Sometimes no-name media is burned successfully and brand media fails, and vice versa.

My suspicion that the problem is related to the SP2 and Nero combo, has been reinforced by the fact that I’ve got the same problem with the computer at work, which also uses Nero 6.6.0.6 and SP2. But I don’t know for sure. Nero 6.6 is supposed to be compatible with SP2. The burning process is in general much less predictable and unreliable than it used to be.

Measures taken:
I’ve tried doing a clean re-install of XP with SP1 installed. I’ve tried to burn a couple of discs, and so far so good, but I need to do more burns before I’m sure the problem has been fixed. However, I still need to figure out if the problem is related to SP2 and Nero 6.6, because a) The problem might still exist, and b) I might want to install SP2 later sometime.

I’ve tried to find a new firmware version, but on www.nec.com, there are no firmware updates for the 3540A.

I might resort to another burning program (need to find another suitable replacement first) if I can’t straighten things out with Nero. I also want to stress that I’ve never had these kind of problems with Nero before. There have been failed burns now and then, but not at such a high rate.

If someone with a similar setup could share some of their experiences and perhaps post suggestions on how to solve this problem, I would be very grateful.

Welcome to the forum, Grok72! :slight_smile:

To begin, a couple of standard suggestions:

[ul]
[li] Get rid of nVidia IDE drivers, use standard IDE drivers instead. Many people have problems with nVidia’s (check [cdfsearch=nvidia ide drivers]here[/cdfsearch]).
[/li][li] Upgrade your nero to latest 6.6.0.15a.
[/li][/ul]

Hope this helps, :slight_smile:

ET

I’ve used nVidia drivers on this setup for months without any problems, but I’ll check it out anyway. It could be that there’s some incompatibility issues in the latest driver releases. I just don’t like the idea of getting rid of the nVidia drivers because I need them for my RAID setup. And it doesn’t explain why Nero doesn’t work properly on my office computer, which doesn’t use the nVidia-chipset at all. The common denominators here are SP2 and Nero 6.6.0.6.

[li] Upgrade your nero to latest 6.6.0.15a.[/li]

I’ll try, even though the release log doesn’t mention any fixes related to NEC drives or SP2. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Just FYI - I burned a full DVD-R last night on my NEC ND-3540A using Nero 6.6.0.15a without any problems. Burn completed in 7 minutes. I’m also running WinXP Pro SP2.

This is a classic Nvidia driver issue. Has nothing to do with Nero. I bet a beer that the MS IDE driver will fix it.

“The burner is hooked up as PATA secondary slave”

Mmmmh… shouldn’t it be hooked up as secondary MASTER? I think it’s the official setup for DVD high-speed burners…

Heh :wink: . That recommendation will be hard to apply if you take a look at post above yours and that members I[/I] all “high speed” burners… :stuck_out_tongue:

Another, faster DVD-ROM player is hooked up as secondary master. Besides, the bandwidth is more than enough for the DVD-writer. That’s not the issue here :slight_smile: (if lack of bandwidth had indeed been the issue, the problem would have materialized a long time ago, for reasons already mentioned)

I’ve rolled back the nVidia drivers and will make new attempts with only the MS IDE drivers.

I’d like to note that I’m also having seemingly the same problem as the original poster.

I’m running XP SP2, the latest Nero 6.6.0.16 and an Asus board, exept this one is the A8V Deluxe (Via chipset, with MS default drivers).

Same problem, whether it be Verbatim DVD discs or my usually trusty Ricoh Japan’s, I get read errors and cannot get the drive to recognize the disc after burning. Happens about 3 to 4 times out of 5.

Any tips, or do us Nero users need to wait either for a NEC firmware update or a Nero software fix?

Thanks,
Hitman4life

After several successful burns I think it’s safe to conclude that the nVidia drivers were indeed the source of the problem. It’s the first time that the nVidia IDE drivers have caused me problems (I’ve used nVidia drivers for years without any problem). It seems to me that there’s some incompatibility issue with these particular IDE drivers and NEC’s firmware, which might (hopefully) be resolved in later releases. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Thanks for reporting back, I’m glad that you’ve found the cause and a workaround for your problem. :iagree:

Regards,

ET

I have the same problem (same frequency, same symptoms) with Nero & WinXP but with an older motherboard with SiS chipset. Mayby it’s not only from drivers…