Burning over speed

vbimport

i got some Verbatim DVD-R X8 MCC003

burnt on at ASUS drw 1814BL

this is the first time ive burnt these discs so i tested the first few discs i burnt

and i noticed something funny (not sure if this is common )

the faster i burnt a disc the better the quality test were

the first 2 images are at 12X (faster than the discs are rated)
the next 2 images are at 8X (rates speed)
the last image is at 4X

The Asus drive you are using is not a reliable scanning drive, so I would not take these scans too seriously… For this you need a Lite-On, BenQ or a Plextor.

The best way for you to check the quality would be through the use of a transfer rate test (TRT). Use the benchmark tab in CD Speed and run the TRT test. It shoud give you a smooth curve all the way to the end of the disc.

i also have a pioneer DVR-112b would that be much better than my asus

The Asus is actually a rebadged Pioneer drive, and the 112 also not suitable for any meaningful scanning.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2028886][B]The Asus is actually a rebadged Pioneer drive[/B], and the 112 also not suitable for any meaningful scanning.[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

Asus 18X/20X burners are Asus’s own hardware and not Pioneer rebadges

But as you said , neither Asus nor Pioneer 112 are good for scanning

Asus 18X/20X burners are Asus’s own hardware and not Pioneer rebadges

But as you said , neither Asus nor Pioneer 112 are good for scanning[/QUOTE]

Whoops, sorry! :o

ok

so the main reason for posting was to ask if it was a good idea to burn discs over their rated speed

I would say that genuine Verbatim MCC003’s were fine for overspeeding to 12x, but will probably burn slightly better at 8x.

Hmmm they will probably be ok @ 12x because as I remember - the Asus uses a SLOW 12x style write and it basically reaches 12x only right at the end of the disc. I’d say it’s quite safe to burn @ 12x.

Btw, it will probably let you burn @ 10x too I think.

yeah it lets me burn at 4,8,10,12X

thanx for all your help . i will just stick to 8X for now as it seems to only take about 40 seconds more and if my disc will last longer ect it seems worth it