Burning only at 0x/1x/2x

I have a win2k OS and I have a Phillips burner 8x4x32

I can not remember it burning at 8x even when I had ME (what a crap OS that is). Now it just burns at 2x tops…

the burner was manufactured in Nov 2000, so it isnt really old…well i had it replaced by Gateway and today I fitted it in and the same problem persists…

I have uninstalled the burning software (which are Nero/Fireburner/CDRWin) I also re-installed it to no avail…

Something is really messed up (Buffer underrun?) and I would like to hear from peeps who have had similar problems or just know about this…

I really need this sorted as I burn a lot of cd’s…

Thanks for any help and great board ya have…

What are your other devices?
Harddisk 1, DVD on Primary controlelr
CD-RW on secondary?

What is the CPU speed, memory available?
Have you reinstalled Windows? (fresh install)

These are all factors that can influence the maximum writing speed… Other than that, it is a strange problem indeed, maybe someone else has some ideas on this one?

Yes cdr/rw is secondary…

space is 40GB, but 35GB is filled now because of the situation…normally half of the HD is filled…sometimes even less…right now I need to lose 20GB

I have 640MB of ram, I put win2k on in June

are you unable to select a higher speed within your burning software or are you able to select 8x as writing speed and it still takes 40 mins to burn?

if 2nd, i would try different cdr’s, try some high-quality brand name cdr’s and not the cheapest ones. mayby your burner has a build-in cdr-table with information about writing-speed and more…
if your cdr is not listed in that table some burners do not allow faster writing. therefore i would also try doing a firmware update/flash.

Nah it doesn’t make any difference…
It seems that my bios are corrupted coz I have looked everywhere and there are no faults detected at all, I ran two virus proggies and I have done a scan/defrag as well…

I had to repair win2k and it seems my machine is more and more corrupted…

thanks for all the help people…