Burning on 'fake' TYG02

Some time back I purchased a 50 pack of Fry’s Brand GQ DVD-R 8x media. The MID is TYG02. I use DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO image using the default burning engine. 3 out of 4 of these media would end up as coasters (not readable or heavily pixilated) even at 4x. I tried about 30 of the dics total so far. The concensus at various forums was that this stuff was fake. Branded media (Verbatim 16x -R and TY 8x +R) burn fine even at rated speeds. (burner is Plex 716A, F.W. 1.06)

Recently I burned several images using the latest Nero Recode, first at 4x, then at 8x. No problems at all!!

Yesterday I burned 5 new ISO images on the fake media using Nero, but by accident the burn speed was MAX (16x) at the burn time was ~5 mins. To my amazment, the all the discs played fine on all my players.

Could anyone explain this? I don’t know what burning engine Nero uses. Could the difference be the burning engines?

Best Regards

Are you sure that the images were ok?

Even bad media will burn correctly once in a while. As I understand it, the burn is controlled by the firmware and the drive. The software just sends the data.

I can confirm, I have a DVD-R media certified for 8x writing speed, if I write at 4x and 6x with 716a I get coaster, if I write at 8x I get a good one (ok, not really good but at least well readable) !
I don’t think the burning engine is involved but the “write strategy” in the firmware, the strategy is specific for a single writing speed, so in my case the 8x strategy works better than the 4x and 6x strategy for that specific media.

@Lord Voldemort: yes, images were fine because when I burned them on branded media using DVDD they played no issues.

@chas0039: Yes even bad media will burn ‘correctly’ once in awhile. Out of the first 30 I burned with DVDD, only about 8 turned out good. On the other hand, 8 out of 8 burned fine using Nero.

I forgot to look at DVDD last nite, but as I recall, there are 4 or 5 burning engine options to choose from.
There is another forum wherein certain burners are having issue with one of the later versions of the VSO engine, so I am not sure that it is just up to the firmware.

Anyway, I just thought this was interesting, I am going to continue experimenting over the weekend.

Kindest Regards