Burning on 2 Drives Simultaneously

Hi!

I’ve read several other forums on this but wanted to check before I buy any more drives.

I want to burn a Nero Disc Image (.nrg) to 2 CDs at the same time, supposedly to make duplicating them quicker.

At the moment I am using 2 IDE drives - both on the same IDE channel as my computer has only one - and 4 Sata connections.

The write speed is so slow 2x at most and from what I read this is because the drives are on the same channel - one is Master, one is Slave.

If I get a SATA drive and try and burn at the same time to the Master IDE and the newly installed SATA drive will my speeds come anywhere near to the speed of burning one disc (48x).

Or will they still stay around the 2-3x mark even on a Sata / IDE split?

Thanks
Ernie

It depends on your systems and configurations. Is DMA enabled etc.?
Welcome to the forum.

I have successfully burned 2 DVDs at a time with Nero but CDs should be even easier. Your only problems should be the fact that the 2 burners are on the same IDE channel (and possibly DMA issues). When I burn 2 at a time, I have one internal drive and another external burner hooked up via USB.

DO NOT open 2 versions of Nero and make 2 compilations. Open the program once, make you compliation, then click burn. On the page that allows you to select the write speed, choose “multiple burners.” Also, burn at a low speed, no higher than 16x just to be safe.

Usually if you want to burn to multiple burners its best to have the same drive, model number. That way the writing strategy will be the same and the same data will be accessed simultaneously. Otherwise it will tax the system.

[QUOTE=eric93se;1946075]Usually if you want to burn to multiple burners its best to have the same drive, model number. That way the writing strategy will be the same and the same data will be accessed simultaneously. Otherwise it will tax the system.[/QUOTE]

Either way on what hardware or software setup you have it will still tax your system running multiple burners as with anything multiple or multitasking taxes your system alot…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1946101]Either way on what hardware or software setup you have it will still tax your system running multiple burners as with anything multiple or multitasking taxes your system alot…[/QUOTE]

When I burn 2 dvds from the same source, my hard disk and memory usage is only slightly higher than if I were to burn only 1 disk at a time. However, this maybe because the computer isn’t sending the data to 2 drives on the same channel.

If I try to burn 2 different compilations at the same time, my hard disk cannot keep up and I have a lot of empty-buffer slow downs.

Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

I checked DMA and it is enabled for all the channels where that option is there.

My system is a Core 2 Duo E6600 - 2 Gb RAM.

I am using Alcohol 120 to burn at the moment and using multiple recorders. When it comes up with Write Method, it defaults to DAO/SAO or should I change it to RAW SAO / RAW SAO + SUB/ RAW DAO / TAO - it’s an image I’m writing ie test.nrg

Or maybe the fact that that they are both on the same channel the problem.

Thanks
Ernie

[QUOTE=thejungle;1946192]Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

I checked DMA and it is enabled for all the channels where that option is there.

My system is a Core 2 Duo E6600 - 2 Gb RAM.

I am using Alcohol 120 to burn at the moment and using multiple recorders. When it comes up with Write Method, [B]it defaults to DAO/SAO or should I change it to RAW SAO / RAW SAO + SUB/ RAW DAO / TAO - it’s an image I’m writing ie test.nrg[/B]

Or maybe the fact that that they are both on the same channel the problem.

Thanks
Ernie[/QUOTE]

Shouldnt you know that already because youhave made that image??