Burning Music to DVD - why only MP3?

vbimport

Hi…
I have a new Pioneer DVD dual-layer recorder and would like to archive my CD collection onto DVD or possibly dual-layer DVD. I use Roxio Easy CD Creator as my software of choice.
I assumed I’d be able to burn tracks from my commercial CD’s to DVD…but at the ‘burn’ part of the process, Roxio won’t allow since it says the tracks don’t conform to the proper format (Orange Book?)
I’ve found that only by converting tracks to MP3 is it then possible to burn to DVD’s but I’d really prefer CD as opposed to MP3 archiving.
I suspect then this is a characteristic of DVD’s that only MP3 music is burnable or do I need a different piece of software to achieve my preferred aim?
I’d welcome your suggestions
Many thanks

Audio CD specifications were stated when DVD wasn’t available, and are made for CD media. DVD media are very different from CD, so you can’t burn an audio CD on a DVD media.

If you want to create an audio DVD, you need a specific software to create “Audio DVD”, that are different from usual audio CD.

If your goal is archiving, you could use a lossless compression format which retains exactly the same quality of the original, reducing it at about one half of the size. Then you can safely burn the compressed files on a data DVD.

Some good, widely used and [B]free[/B] lossless compressors are:

[ul]
[li]FLAC
[/li][li]Monkey’s Audio
[/li][li]WavPack
[/li][/ul]

Of course in this way you won’t be able to play the files from a standalone DVD player (unless some very special cases), but it could be tricky with [I]mp3s on DVD[/I] too. :wink:

Hope this helps, :slight_smile:

ET

Hi…thanks to all for taking time to respond
I’ll check out those free programs, ET…
Regards

I can burn mp3 on dvd but it will not play on my dvd player

I can burn mp3 on dvd but it will not play on my dvd player

most DVD players can’t. They like CDs of MP3. Google your DVD player and read the manual.

My DVD player will play DVD (either + or -) loaded with mp3’s

As for “archiving” you can burn wav files to a dvd, you just can’t play them back directly with most computer software.

AD

Help me please, because I’m confused! To save space, I want to put (lossless) my commercially produced audio Cd’s on to DVDs and play the DVDs in my 400 DVD player. Is this possible? If it is possible, could someone explain in simple English so a newbie can understand. Also, what software (free) do I need? Thanks, SDI

PS, I don’t understand what type of files commercial Cd’s are and if the audio part of DVDs has the capacity for CD quality sound. My player will not play true “DVD Audio” DVDs. Is there a way to “trick” the player into thinking it is playing a DVD without the video part?

[QUOTE=sdihome;2259095]Help me please, because I’m confused! To save space, I want to put (lossless) my commercially produced audio Cd’s on to DVDs and play the DVDs in my 400 DVD player. Is this possible? If it is possible, could someone explain in simple English so a newbie can understand. Also, what software (free) do I need? Thanks, SDI

PS, I don’t understand what type of files commercial Cd’s are and if the audio part of DVDs has the capacity for CD quality sound. My player will not play true “DVD Audio” DVDs. Is there a way to “trick” the player into thinking it is playing a DVD without the video part?[/QUOTE]

What formats does your DVD player support (DVD, jpeg, avi, mp3, etc)? When you say “commercial CD’s”, do you mean music CD’s? How much “space” can your CD’s be using? Are we talking about hundreds of CD’s?

My Sony 400 DVD player supports DVD (video), VCD, CD (music), Data CD (MP3). Commercial Cd’s, Cd’s produced by the music companies. Yes. I have over 300 Cd’s and 200 DVD movies.

And what about mp3 on DVD?

To quote myself “- To save space, I want to put (lossless) my commercially produced audio Cd’s on to DVDs and play the DVDs in my 400 DVD player”.

I looked at the Owners Manual for my player and it only listed playing CD Data (MP3) discs

Well, you can experiment a little. If you have rewritable (RW) DVD you can burn some songs in mp3 format to it and test it in your DVD player just to see what happens. If you don’t have an RW disk you can always burn it to a regular DVD if you have one to spare. Even if it works, mp3 is not a lossless format.

I doubt your player can deal with mp3, see: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=sony+400&Submit=Search&Search=Search&orderby=Name&hits=50