Burning music - quality vs. speed?

vbimport

Hi!

I’m (still) :eek: new to this and I hope you guys can help me with this question: is the quality of music reproduction (after burning - i.e. the copy) influenced by the burning speed? Or, what speed is recommended / ideal for burning music?
A guy in a computer shop told me the slower the speed, the better the quality of the reproduction… Is this strue? Seem a bit strange. Thanks.

It depends on a wide variety of factors primarilty the burner used and the quality/speed of media used. Getting good meida is more important then people would think, not only for lower errors but for the longevity of your CD’s.

Newer high speed burners and media usually produce more errors when burned slow.

There is no universal answer as each case is different.
BUT, if I were you I would head over to the media forum and learn how to scan for C1/C2 errors. Once you can check the errors on your discs you can try a different speed and compare.

For example on my LiteOn burner I’ve determied that 32x is my optimal burn speed with the media I am using at the moment.

Originally posted by Silly Lily

A guy in a computer shop told me the slower the speed, the better the quality of the reproduction…
Is this true? Seems a bit strange.
Why is it a bad idea to burn audio at high speeds?

Yamaha’s Advanced Audio Master Quality Recording

The original AMQ Recording method

Using this audio mode I’d record my audio @7x CLV.

See the comparison

Generally if the disc performs well at high speed, it is a pretty good bet that it will work at lower speeds, although this is not always the case. Since CD-ROM drives are optimized for higher speeds, drive performance may be compromised at lower speed. Also, results can be affected by vibration, which varies with speed.

Thanks guys for your help. I’ll try to follow your advice. The errors I did get (Philips media) with music cd-s are most probably due to an older Cd player. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Silly Lily

The errors I did get (Philips media) with music cd-s are most probably due to an older Cd player.
Of course, you’re right.
And also due to the Philips media that most likely is made by CMC or maybe due to the burn SW u use etc…