Burning multiple CDs?

vbimport

I have a machine with 3 burners (all LG new model GH22NP20, IDE UDMA 4) and 1 HD (IDE UDMA 5) + Windows XP + Nero 9. I’ve seen 2 problems that i would like to solve:

1. It cannot handle well (burn time takes too long) more than one device per IDE channel. So i can only use two burners effectively. How to use all three devices effectively? My machine is relatively recent (maybe 2005, something like athlon 1.8GHz with 512MB RAM) so it seems a configuration or software issue, not primarily hardware. I could increase the RAM, but my test merely consisted of 20mins of wav files so it shouldn’t have needed gigabytes of RAM either…

2. In several circumstances, it seems to access only one CD drive at a time (ie for checking CD, or ejecting). It even seemed like for the two drives sharing a IDE channel, the light would never turn on on both at the same time durning burn time (showing that maybe it was even burning one at a time and switching from one to the other). I’d like the machine to access all drives at the same time, both for burning and other actions.

If it’s OS limitations, i’d be willing to entertain other OS suggestions that would get the job done.

With these two problems, i’ve found multiple burners to be an incredible disappointment and NOT worth it.

What kinda motherboard and PS do you have? Can you give a more complete break down of your motherboard and hardware specs. What your giving is only part of the hardware and doesn’t tell much but 512MB is way to small of RAM at least 3G would be a better for XP but since we have no motherboard specs and hardware specs beyond your cd drives it makes it hard to know what the setup is like…so more specs…???

Agreed that i don’t have much RAM, and with Nero9 loaded only 110MB free. However, as i mentioned, my burn test is small and shouldn’t need much memory. [U]I sincerely believe that simply increasing hardware speed is irrelevent in this case[/U]. If hardware problem there is, then it would be with the IDE architecture. No matter the case, i do believe the problem is a common one to basically all machines. For example, Windows freezing while accessing a drive, indicating that it seems incapable of really accessing multiple drives at the same time. I do believe there should be work-arounds somewhere to fix these probs… one way or the other (ie, changing OS, changing to SATA, registry fixes).

Windows XP Pro SP2
Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M, 1800 MHz, 64K L1 cache, 128K L2 cache
ECS 761GX-M754 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Chipset SiS 761GX, AMD Hammer
DIMM1: Kingston K 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM 333MHz
BIOS AMI (02/14/06)
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, USB
Video onboard SiS Mirage Graphics (64 MB), audio onboard AD1888
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 (74 GB, IDE) 2MB cache PIO4 ATA/ATAPI-6 UDMA5
Optical drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20 UDMA4

Hi,[QUOTE=jearan;2546332]Agreed that i don’t have much RAM,[/quote]Indeed. 512 MB is borderline for XP with SP3.

and with Nero9 loaded only 110MB free.
And this is not enough. Modern CD/DVD writing software is using RAM as “extended buffer”. ImgBurn, which many members are using, assigns 40MB by default. For a multiple burn, there is one instance of the software running, each using 40 MB.
I doubt, Nero9 is very different from that. Watch the buffers.

Plus, there is concurrent access to the same file (perhaps not applicable to Nerö's “multiple burn” option).

If hardware problem there is, then it would be with the IDE architecture.
Possibly. Your system has a SiS chipset which isn’t known for performance. :bigsmile:

Windows XP Pro SP2
:eek: XP SP2 is out of support. You should really consider installing SP3.

Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M, 1800 MHz, 64K L1 cache, 128K L2 cache
ECS 761GX-M754
You can’t expect much from that hardware, seriously. And no offense.

Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-00JHC0
An 80GB HDD isn’t supposed to be fast, unfortunately.

At least these seem to work (I have one of these also and at least my personal drive is very interface picky)

My system is as ancient as yours:
Athlon64 3000+ (1800 MHz max), Chipset Via KT800Pro, 2 x 1GB RAM, 320 GB WD Sata, a couple of ODD, XP Pro SP3.

These are the results of writing an ISO CD image to two drives at the same time, using two instances of Imgburn. Write speed selected was 32x for each drive.
Both drives are attached to the same IDE channel.

You may especially look at the buffers in these graphs:

Interesting, the buffers almost - but apparently never - get to 0%. From what i’ve read on the net so far, i conclude this: the new faster machines might technically be able to burn on 2 burners on the same IDE channel, but doing so is always BAD PRACTICE and has always been so since earlier pentiums with 128MB RAM.

The solution i’ve found is simple. Getting a PCI IDE controller card for cheap and plug my 3rd drive as master.

Also note that IDE cards also suffer from the same problems and shouldn’t connect two burners on one card. Going with multiple IDE cards, add one device per card per PCI slot.

:iagree:

Having the drives on different IDE channels or controllers is the better option, indeed :slight_smile:

Michael