Burning mpgs and avis

Hi,

I have recently started recording video to cds. My dvd player will recognize mpgs burned as data, and I have been doing this using standard 700MB CD-Rs. The only trouble is if I put more than one file, it seems to only recognize/play the first.

if I wanted to put multiple files onto a cd, would I have to author a DVD. Can IMGBURN make an MSDS image out of multiple mpg and avi files, or do I need to use another program first?

Also, what would be a simple program for more advanced DVD creation like adding scene breaks/marks?

thanks. great site.

Do you just want to use CD’s or is a DVD also an option?

Normally a player that can handle avi files will give you a list of files on the disk to choose from when you have more than one on the disk. You’d just have to try it on a dvd and see if it would do so.

You can burn to a disk as data using ImgBurn…just import them in Build mode and have it output straight to the burner.

A basic program for converting avi and mpeg files to dvd format would be something like DVDFlick, AVStoDVD or FAVC. All easily found via Google. The menus are rudimentary in these, and not easily adjustable.

A more advanced dvd authoring program would be something like TMPGenc Authoring Works (which would convert as well as give you options in the creation of the dvd).

If you convert to dvd compliant mpeg2 first, you can use a pure authoring program…there are some free ones like GUIforDVDAuthor which have very good flexibility, and there are some rather expensive ones like DVDLab Pro which are more polished and easier to use.

thanks

i have no problem using DVD discs as well

so I take it that imgburn cant create a DVD MDS file from random video clip formats like it can create a Music CD CUE file from random Audio file formats and files??

[QUOTE=video_newb;2225246]thanks

so I take it that imgburn cant create a DVD MDS file from random video clip formats like it can create a Music CD CUE file from random Audio file formats and files??[/QUOTE]

Not as far as I know.

What you might want to try is DVDStyler, http://www.dvdstyler.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57, you can use avi and mpeg files (among others) as input to create a finished DVD. It also includes authoring tools for menu’s, etc. It’s freeware

I use SUPER to convert the files to the container I want(mpag, avi, divx, and so now). Then I burn them onto the disc type of my choosing with any number of files loaded into IMGBURN (set on udf 2.5). I have had no troubles with this system. I burn blurays, and dvd+r/rw with great results.

I use SUPER to convert the files to the container I want(mpag, avi, divx, and so now). Then I burn them onto the disc type of my choosing with any number of files loaded into IMGBURN (set on udf 2.5). I have had no troubles with this system. I burn blurays, and dvd+r/rw with great results.

do you have a link for SUPER??

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

thanks guys.

my burner supports :

(CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R/RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM functions)

can I use both -R and +R or does it depend on my dvd player as well??
I bought DVD/-R today, i may need to return them

Its usually much more important to use high quality media rather than choosing between -R and +R. Verbatim 16x is a safe bet when buying locally. If you are in the US, you can find them at Best Buy.

i actually bought TDK 16x DVD/-R, are these suitable?

There have been a lot of complaints about TDK quality over the last year or so…maybe more. They have stopped making their own dvds and simply repackage disks from Taiwanese suppliers like Ritek or CMC. Look on the cakebox…if it says made in Taiwan they may be ok but not great. If they say made in China, take them back.

Take a look at this thread on TDK media: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/tdk-dvd-r-question-257962/

What make and model burner do you have? Some fare better with mediocre media than others.

An LG GSA-H55L.55N burner and \

a DAENYX P80L dvd player

If it was me, I’d definitely take them back. LG drives tend to be picky about media. They will burn Verbatim 16x very well, or you could try some Sony 16x as a reasonably good substitute.

is 8x safer than for more finicky burners??

Do you mean 8x media or slowing down the burning speed?

I never burn at max speed anyway. 8x or 12x usually produces better results than burning faster, and doesn’t take that much longer.

Its getting harder to find 8x media, though you can still order it online at shops like rima.com or supermediastore. Some of the best disks available are Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks.

so would all verbatim discs be ok then, including those made in china?

would chinese verbatims be better than tdks made in taiwan

thanks

yeesh what a choice. I think I’d take my chances on the Taiwanese made TDK’s.

You don’t have Sony or Taiwanese made Verbatim available?