Burning MKV to Single Layer Discs - Looks Great!

vbimport

Just for the heck of it I burned an 8 GB mkv of The Fellowship of the Ring to one single layer disc using ConvertXtoDVD and played it on my Oppo 980. The darn thing looked fantastic on my 56" Samsung! No, it wasn’t hi-def, but it sure did look great to moi. I liked it so much I went ahead and burned the whole triolgy and plan to burn some more movies this way.

Anybody else done this? I’m very pleased with the PQ and it’s certainly much cheaper than BD discs or double-layer.

Harold

Ah! Just found a free program called “mkvmerge” which easily splits an mkv file so you could put the movie on 2 discs and the quality would be even better. Interesting.

H

Ripbot will reconvert them also -> works great if you want to reduce any MKV to a single layer 4.5GB DVD, or make a 8GB DVD … or resize them/etc :slight_smile:

Can also convert anything that can be played on your PC to mini bluray :slight_smile:
So you can play obscure formats on PS3’s too :smiley:

[QUOTE=debro;2155050]Ripbot will reconvert them also -> works great if you want to reduce any MKV to a single layer 4.5GB DVD, or make a 8GB DVD … or resize them/etc :slight_smile:

Can also convert anything that can be played on your PC to mini bluray :slight_smile:
So you can play obscure formats on PS3’s too :D[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool as blank blue ray media is so expensive at the moment. Is there a guid for using ripbot and converting a blue ray disk (for backup) to an 8 gig disk? Thank you.

I’d expect so, but I’m not aware of any.

But it’s dead simple to use.
Open the media file.
Wait until it finishes importing the file/setting info.
Right click on the file & go to settings -> set the video type to two pass & select 8.5GB DVD (or 4.5GB DVD).
In the video settings, set it to a 4.0 profile for Bluray compatibility & set the video resolution to 1080p (or 720p) … and away you go :wink:

If you are shrinking to 4.5GB (SL disc) you are best dropping the resolution to 720p for most movies.

Much obliged. thanks

debro,
OK, I must be missing something…Using RipBot, I import the mt2s file, wait for it to load, right click on the file name and get…nothing. well nothing to do with size or any settings.
I can import and convert an mt2s file to MKV with the 4.0 profile & in selecting “Properties”, I can resize to SL-720 X 480, then encode.
Where do I find 1080P… DL size? Is that 1980 X 1280? Or will that simply build a similar size MKV file to that of the original mt2s file size?
Apologize for being a bit dense here, 1st time using the RipBot program. Would you mind a step by step? or where to get a step by step?
Thanks

[QUOTE=debro;2156059]I’d expect so, but I’m not aware of any.

But it’s dead simple to use.
Open the media file.
Wait until it finishes importing the file/setting info.
Right click on the file & go to settings -> set the video type to two pass & select 8.5GB DVD (or 4.5GB DVD).
In the video settings, set it to a 4.0 profile for Bluray compatibility & set the video resolution to 1080p (or 720p) … and away you go :wink:

If you are shrinking to 4.5GB (SL disc) you are best dropping the resolution to 720p for most movies.[/QUOTE]

Apologies … there is no right click … you need to select & click “EDIT” at the bottom right.

Click Add ->Select File
Wait until it finishes doing it’s thing … generally splitting the audio & video tracks
Select the “Save As” MKV … or BLU-RAY disc (The blue ray is AVC-HD and will play in many standalone BLURAY players or a PS3).

Change the profile to 4.0 (if it isn’t already), or if you are doing uber high quality in 1080p, change to 4.2. 4.1 is the maximum needed for the 720p to play on bluray players.

Mode: Select 2pass mode
Lock Size(MB): Ticked on ->8150 for Dual Layer DVD, 4480 for Single Layer DVD
(Next to Mode: 2-Pass) Properties
Size ->
Select:
[I]HD-Ready 1280x720 [/I]… for 720p compliant video (good to keep excellent quality on SL discs).
[I]HD-Full 1920x108[/I]0 … you need to use a DL DVDR for any 2hr movie … and you’d be better encoding a 720P video to Dual layer from Bluray due to the heavy compression IMHO.
OK.

Choose your audio.
For MKV, you can stream copy, or use practically any common audio type that you want.
For Bluray, you can use direct stream copy (DTS or AC3), or re-encode to AC3 5.1/Stereo.

If re-encoding the audio, you should use “CUT” for the same A/V length.

Set your output location + Done.

Click “LOW PRIORITY” and click start … now you just have to wait.

On Vista/Quad Core6600 … 1080p will probably take about 8-12hrs, 720p approximately 4-6hrs - YMMV.

debro,
Thank you for the detailed walk through…Will give it a go, and check my results tomorrow!

debro,
OK. Thought I would report my findings. I used my “I AM Legend BD” to work with. All work done on Quadcore 6600, 4GB ram, Vista 32, Intel motherboard/Chipset, Nvidia 8600 512GT. Latest drivers/bios. Ripped to HD using latest AnyDVD-HD.

I converted a 16.2GB mt2s file to a 7.9GB Dual Layer using your recommended settings.
I selected: Profile 4.0 (by the way I could not find a Profile 4.1 or 4.2–is that an add on?), 2 pass, 1280 x 720 HD-Ready, Stream Copy, Locked Size, Checked. 8150 selected in radial box.
Selected output file to another HD. Low Priority ticked.
While encoding, I did notice that RipBot used all 4 cores at 90+%!

Waited 6 hours or so and played the MTV from the HD on same system to Toshiba 32" 720P LCD.
I used TMT (126 update-hardware accelerated checked) and then Media Center players when playing from HD.

1st thing I noticed was jerkiness in movement or panning scenes, not so good…!
Intro of movie where he walks through grass and around building to shoot the deer was disconcerting.
However PQ was suprisingly good, especially noticed in screen shots of face, which showed high eye detail, lashes, veins in the whites of eyes, detail in Iris, etc…
Cudo’s here!

The jekiness I assume to be due to high compression resulting in dropped frames. No wonder the original mt2s was 16.2GB.
I don’t think that burning the 8GB MKV to a DL and playing on my Oppo 980 will improve things.

Are there any settings/changes in what I am doing, that you or someone, can recommend that would smooth out the jerkiness in action/panned shots?
Thanks

What program are you using to play the video?
It’s possible that the decoder & program aren’t co-operating with eachother and is giving reduced performance - if you have a PS3 or a memory stick, you may be able to copy it to the memory stick & try playing it (rather than a DVD).

Thehigher levels 4.1/4.2 will allow higher maximum bitrates (50Mb/s) in scenes with much action in comparison to the 25Mb/s for profile 4.0, this could help the problem - but will retain the average bitrate.

The other possibility is that the frame rate isn’t set quite right, ie set to 24Fps when the video is 23.97fps, and you only notice the occasional dropped/inserted frame during high speed action scenes.

debro,
I used TotalMedia Theater & Media Player Classic to play from HD. I tried on two differnently configuered computers for playback with same results. I am hoping your suggestions will solve the issue. Frame rates were correct to my recollection.
I do have some questions regarding options under the 4.1 profile, but will wait until my most recent effort is finished & tested.
Wow, you are a wealth of information.
Thanks for the link, Very interesting reading.
I downloaded latest RipBot, found the 4.1/4.2 profile and am re-encoding to see what happens.
Thanks Again

OK, short report…after several more attempts at encoding and not getting smooth playback…I suspected I had done something initially wrong in originally installing RipBot264.
I downloaded the “all in one” RipBot installer (via AJAX-UNDONE, Doom 9 forum), which corrected my problems. Apparently I had downloaded a beta or corrupted version of one of the other necessary programs.
All in One repaired this by overwriting the other programs. Now I am getting smooth playback and can burn a BD fomat playable DL disk that is recognized on my stand alone BD player.
Now to finish my own HD video project and use what I have learned here.
Thanks again.