Burning Large File to DVD from Command Line

vbimport

Hiya,

First off, hope everyone is doing good. I was assigned to write a batch file for my job that pulls files from a server, compresses it, then burns to a DVD. I have everything working great except the burning. I have been trying and trying to get nerocmd to work right.

In total, it’s 15gb’s of files. Once compressed it is around a 9gb file. I use 7zip’s command line to zip it and I am able to have it zip into one huge file (preferred) or I can zip it into file sizes by volume (4480mb I believe). I have been doing the later and everytime it burns a dvd it complete successfully but when I check the DVD it is only 384mb burned. I checked my archive folder and there is no file that is that small. The zip files are the 4gb sized files like there supposed to be.

I know you can burn a large file with the GUI of nero and have it split the file into more than 1 DVD. I can not figure out why it burns only 384mb and no idea how to have it just fill up a DVD disk then ask for another DVD to finish burning the 9gb file.

So in short:
Is there a better solution to burn 15gb worth of data? (Compressed 9gb and we want to compress) Should I have 7zip keep it a 9gb file or have it split it up while compressing? If i keep it a 9gb file how do burn that to multiple dvd’s? We have nero so if there is a different software out there that would accomplish this let me know please. Free would be best as always.

On a side note:
When 7zip splits as it is compressing it the file ends in xx.zip.001, xx.zip.002, etc. Not sure if this is causing my problem with nerocmd.

Batch Script:
[LEFT]@ECHO OFF[/LEFT]
[LEFT]::Batch script to get the e-mail inboxes, compress them and eventually back to dvd[/LEFT]

[LEFT]REM Get mailboxes

Works
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]REM Change to the mail directory[/LEFT]
[LEFT]*Works*[/LEFT]

[LEFT]REM Rename the mail folder to mail-year-day-month[/LEFT]
[LEFT]ren mail mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%[/LEFT]

[LEFT]REM Using 7-Zip to compress the directory and sub directories[/LEFT]
[LEFT]start /wait 7za a -tzip mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%.zip mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2% -v4480M[/LEFT]

[LEFT]REM Check the Exit code: 0 = No errors[/LEFT]
[LEFT]IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 ( GOTO TEST ) ELSE ( GOTO ERROR )[/LEFT]

[LEFT]:TEST[/LEFT]
[LEFT]REM Test the archive and check for error's[/LEFT]
[LEFT]7za t mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%.* *.* -r[/LEFT]
[LEFT]IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 ( GOTO DELETE ) ELSE ( GOTO ERROR )[/LEFT]

[LEFT]:DELETE[/LEFT]
[LEFT]REM Delete the mail-year-day-month directory[/LEFT]
[LEFT]::rmdir /s /q mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%[/LEFT]
[LEFT]GOTO BURN[/LEFT]

[LEFT]:ERROR[/LEFT]
[LEFT]echo Error: %ERRORLEVEL%[/LEFT]

[LEFT]:BURN[/LEFT]
[LEFT]REM Burn the first archive image[/LEFT]
[LEFT]"C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero

erocmd.exe" --write --drivename E --dvd --underrun_prot --close_session --real --iso “Mail Backup %date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%” “C:\Mail\mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%.zip.001”[/LEFT]
[LEFT]“C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero
erocmd.exe” --write --drivename E --dvd --underrun_prot --close_session --real --iso “Mail Backup %date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%” “C:\Mail\mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%.zip.002”[/LEFT]
[LEFT]“C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero
erocmd.exe” --write --drivename E --dvd --underrun_prot --close_session --real --iso “Mail Backup %date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%” “C:\Mail\mail-%date:~10%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%.zip.003”[/LEFT]
[LEFT]GOTO END[/LEFT]

[LEFT]:END[/LEFT]

[LEFT]PAUSE[/LEFT]

Looks like there is no easy solution. I will still watch this thread for an answer but for now I will just write a simple autoIt script to do burn the 9gb file using the nero gui and have it auto split into multiple dvd’s. thanks and hope to hear from someone soon about this. :slight_smile: