Burning issues

Okay,

Here’s my problem. This is my first time posting and I’m doing so because I’m having a huge burning problem.

It seems after two years of burning hoards of dvd’s that suddenly I’m having some issues. I burn using a number of programs … usually decrypter/shrink/slysoft comb. When I have problem backing up a particular movie I sometimes use dvd fab-express, Alcohol 120%, Roxio … you name it. Well, recently the discs I’m using seems to be a problem but I’m not positive. The trouble is if they are the issue they certainly weren’t at one time because I’ve done a lot of burning on them in the past and I still have a few hundred of them lying around the house. The brand is Memorex DVD-R. A buddy dropped a couple of discs over the otehr day to back-up a couple of movies for him and they burned fine. But I have a stack of at least 75 dead discs sitting in front of me from bad burns. What I don’t get is why all of a sudden??? In two years I’ve never had problems … sure an occasional disc but this is ridiculous and a waste of money.

Help???

I burn on a Lite-On DVDRW. It’s two years old and usually rock solid.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
RedHope65

[QUOTE=RedHope65;1935515]The brand is Memorex DVD-R.[/QUOTE]
That’s your problem. Memorex is an inferior brand and using them you will have inconsistent results. Get yourself some better quality media (e.g. Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden) and your problems almost certainly will disappear.

Memorex is known to be inconsistent in there media quality, this is because they farm out the manufacture process and it’s not necessarily the same outfit. So the quality tends to be hit and miss.

Have seen issues, not necessarily what is happening in your case but cheaper brands of media that have been sitting around for awhile ( 1 Year Plus ) have been duds. Maybe because of the type of dye being used and degradation has cause the media to fail.

Have you tried a different brand of media?

IE: Verbatim or TY

:cool::cool:

Thanks,

Appreciate the help. I thought it was probably the discs [B][U]but [/U][/B]I’ve been using them off and on for 2 years with no real issues. So … I figured it could be something else.

I do believe you’re bang on in your summation. I found a few discs last night I had set aside some time ago (not Memorex) and tried them out and they appeared to be fine … no problems.

It’s seems as though [I]Philamber [/I]and [I]Platiumsword [/I]are correct as to the inconsistantcies of the product. I guess up to this point I had been fortunate.

This there any discs you suggest I stay away from. I’ve had pretty good luck with Fuji and Sony in the past?

Once again thanks for the help …

RedHope65

But do also remember it depends on your hardware and speed of burning as well and not multitask when burning. Those three factors have to be taken into consideration as well not just media type.

[QUOTE=RedHope65;1935845]Thanks,

Appreciate the help. I thought it was probably the discs [B][U]but [/U][/B]I’ve been using them off and on for 2 years with no real issues. So … I figured it could be something else. [/QUOTE]

The fact that you’ve been using them for 2 years doesn’t mean much with Memorex as they switch manufacturers a lot.

So, you may have good results with say, CMC-manufactured Memorex but bad results with Ritek-manufactured Memorex. :wink:

You don’t give much detail what your problem actually is: failure to start a burn, failing halfway, playback problems?

You don’t say what model LiteOn burner you have, but Sony discs should be good, and my preference would be Verbatim +Rs.

Coolcolors also has a point about burn speed: with 16x media, I tend to burn at 8x most of the time, occasionally 12x if they’re exceptional discs.

Ativa from Office Depot (CMC Mag) have been real good for me not one bad disk in over 200. Get them when they be on sale. You can’t go wrong!

Generally the problems I’ve been having with Memorex discs are stopping anywhere from 50 to 75% of the way through a burn. My burner is a Lite-On SOHW-1673S … I don’t really know where it stands in the hierarchy of DVD burner but I owe it nothing as its been rock solid for two years and probably somewhere around 2000 burns.

I’ll give the Verbatim discs a shot. I’ve pretty much always burned on -R discs although my dvd player has no problem with +R … I guess that’s what I was first introduced to and pretty much always stuck with.

I always burn at 16x speed but may switch that. I’ve heard a slower speed may help.

Maybe its time for a new burner as well … any suggestions on a budget???

RedHope65

[QUOTE=RedHope65;1935961]Generally the problems I’ve been having with Memorex discs are stopping anywhere from 50 to 75% of the way through a burn. My burner is a Lite-On SOHW-1673S … I don’t really know where it stands in the hierarchy of DVD burner but I owe it nothing as its been rock solid for two years and probably somewhere around 2000 burns.

I’ll give the Verbatim discs a shot. I’ve pretty much always burned on -R discs although my dvd player has no problem with +R … I guess that’s what I was first introduced to and pretty much always stuck with.

I always burn at 16x speed but may switch that. I’ve heard a slower speed may help.

Maybe its time for a new burner as well … any suggestions on a budget???

RedHope65[/QUOTE]

Have you opened your burner drive and used a lens cloth and solution to clean the laser len? It could be dirty from two years of use and no cleaning as well… I should know I had a 832S model for 4 years I think…and not til I finally opened and cleaned the laser lens did the drive read and burn better. Also make sure you have enough RAM and not be doing multitasking when you burn as this takes up alot of resources from the system…Also defrag your HDD as well this will improve the reading to and from the burner if you use the HDD to burn to and back to the burner…

To reiterated burn speed your best bet would be 8x.

Media to use for single Layer would be

1] Verbatim
2] TY

These would be dependent on MID

3] Sony
4] Maxell
5] TDK

:cool::cool: