Burning Issue with Multiple DVD+/-RW Drives

Hello all,

I’m having a real issue and would like to request some assistance.

Dell Precision 530 (SCSI)
Windows XP Professional SP2 & Latest Updates
Rosewill RC-215 PCI SATA/ATA RAID Controller
Nero 6 Ultra
IMAPI = Disabled (but not tested since disabling)
(1) Sony IDE DVD+/-RW DW-Q28A (Primary IDE on mainboard)
(2) Sony/NEC/Optiarc SATA DVD+/-RW DL AD-7190S (SATA controller)

Ok!

While attempting to use multiple recorders (2), my system will only write to one drive at a time. It does not matter if I use the IDE and SATA drive either. Nero still burns to a single drive. While watching the Nero progress window, it shows the system writing to one drive for a moment, and then to the other, and back and forth until completion. It also takes 5x as long to complete the burning process when compared to a single disc burn.

Another strange or odd occurrence, in the Device Manager, and while the Write options are available, I can only Write Enable ONE burner. If I navigate to the second burner and enable it, the first drive automatically disables writing.

This is driving me nuts! :confused:

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!!! :bow:

Update:

After reconfiguring to make the Sony IDE drive the primary master, XP no longer recognized the drive as a burner, but Nero can burn with it.

Also, after attempting a 4Gb ISO burn to both Optiarc drives, it continues writing to a single drive at a time. It’s baffling that burning a 600Mb ISO allowed me to write to both drives simultaneously after the 50% point, but the larger ISO file would not.

This truly is one of the most bizzare hardware issues I’ve run across.

Update:

After reviewing several threads, I downloaded an update for Nero 6 Ultra. I’m now running version 6.6.1.15. I’m still not capable of burning large files simultaneously. I’ve also tried my old version of Alcohol, and the latest version of ImgBurn. All burn with a single drive at a time, and I was looking for better software that doesn’t cost a leg.

Needless to state, my duplication efforts have nothing to do with protected video/DVD reproduction.

I just gave up! I’m done with this frustration!

[QUOTE=Vince C.;2013225]Update:

After reviewing several threads, I downloaded an update for Nero 6 Ultra. I’m now running version 6.6.1.15. [B]I’m still not capable of burning large files simultaneously.[/B] I’ve also tried my old version of Alcohol, and the latest version of ImgBurn. All burn with a single drive at a time, and I was looking for better software that doesn’t cost a leg.

Needless to state, my duplication efforts have nothing to do with protected video/DVD reproduction.

I just gave up! I’m done with this frustration![/QUOTE]

Dont tr.

Imgburn is your best choice.

Please excuse me, but I get half pissed and intolerant of dealing with computer hardware/software. I’ve worked on hardware for over ten years now, and frustration is THE major factor. And I thought being a machinist required patience! HA!

Anyway, I found someone that let me borrow a copy of DiscJuggler w/4 drive support. I read between 85-90% of the guide, and with my hardware it burns between 5x - 7x (IDE & SATA). When I use both SATA drives, DiscJuggler barely breaks writing at 3x. I’ve created 2 duplicates in 10 minutes, but I believe my system is more capable than that.

Also, I’ve tried using ImgBurn again, and I must be doing something wrong. I followed the online instructions on How-To share an image between drives, yet it only burns to one drive, and when the first session is complete, it asks me to Insert another disc to complete the 2nd copy. I’m only trying 2 copies at a time, because this is eating the H**L out of discs. I’ve been through 20+ by this point.

And my frustration continues!

Vince

Wait a minute. Now that I think about this. I have a cheap Rosewill controller. I have two SATA DVD drives and an IDE HDD connected to it. The entire time I’ve been working on this, I’ve been using both SATA drives and the IDE drive as the working drive. Maybe if I make some space on my main SCSI drive to work on while using the SATA drives to burn on, it may offer a bit more performance. I shall see!

I understand now. And no one bothered to point it out.

It must read a single image twice across the same path which dramatically lowers burning speeds.

Well at least I can create 2 copies in ten minutes, so I guess that will work… I also tried burning two different images, with two instances Imgburn open, to separate drives, but my system doesn’t operate correctly.

Anyway, after doing my own research, my questions are resolved.