Burning images on dvd+r DL with imgburn n nero (Samsung SH-S203P / TS-H653P)

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203P / TS-H653P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,
i’ve tried to burn various iso images with nero and imgburn on dvd+r DL media. The writer burns the images fine on both programs with the option set for booktype to dvd-rom. once the burn process is done, I re-insert the dvd into my dvd writer but it fails to read it, i also try it in my other dvd-rom on same PC and also it doesnt read it there. But it reads it fine on my laptop which has a dvd-rw. my PC dvd writer is a Samsung SH-S203P (TSST Corp), and the media i’m using atm is Infiniti360 printable dvd+r DL. My laptop is a dell inspiron 1525.

just tried burning and setting the book-type to what the physical disc is (i.e. leave it as dvd +r DL) and after the burn process my samsung writer reads it…but strange it doesnt when its set to dvd-rom?

anyone else experience issues like this?? and any ideas whats wrong?

just fyi. the disc info is:
Manufacturer: : Ricoh
MID : RICOHJPN D01 067 (43h)

thanks

Hi and Welcomequote=chandru;2167757 and any ideas whats wrong?

just fyi. the disc info is:
Manufacturer: : Ricoh
MID : RICOHJPN D01 067 (43h)
[/quote]I’d blame the media. Verbatim “Made in Singapore” are still considered the most reliable DL discs.
You might try your Ricoh stuff at lower burn speeds and see if you get some improvement.

Michael

but if it successfully burns then surely its not the media?

i know ive read somewhere there were/are problems with bitsetting on sata drives…but i believe that was on VIA based sata controllers…mine is intel based chipset using Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataRaid controller…

Media quality is extremely variable in these days, so even with media that is supported by the drive’s firmware, the results might be bad (unreadable disc) or excellent or something in between.
It is often helpful to try different burn speeds (but this is pricey with DL discs).

You might do some reading here in this thread, although you don’t have exactly the same drive, it is applicable: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s203b-dual-layer-only-scans-discussions-230284/

[quote=chandru;2167802]i know ive read somewhere there were/are problems with bitsetting on sata drives…but i believe that was on VIA based sata controllers…[/quote]That’s correct.

mine is intel based chipset using Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataRaid controller…
Your drive is connected to that Silicon Image controller? Is this an add-on card or soldered onboard?

Michael

its an oboard controller…the disc isnt unreadable tho…it reads perfectly fine on my laptop when booktype is set to dvd-rom just not on my pc’s dvdwriter…

[quote=chandru;2167826]its an oboard controller…[/quote]And you have your drive connected to this? This might be part of the problem, especially if the controller is configured as RAID. If you can’t switch the controller’s operation mode to non-Raid operation, you should consider buying a Silicon Image 3512 based PCI controller card flashed to Silicon Image Base Bios.
Here is a list of controller cards that can be flashed: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/?highlight=3512

the disc isnt unreadable tho…it reads perfectly fine on my laptop when booktype is set to dvd-rom just not on my pc’s dvdwriter…
Well, your mileage may vary, but I consider a disc as unreadable if it fails to be read on one drive.

Michael

dont think its configured as raid…my primary sata port has my primary hard drive connected to it, and my secondary sata port has this s203p connected…

Please double check.
There should be a message showing up during system boot:
SataRaid for Raid configured cards or
SataLink for the non-Raid version.

Device manager on Windows should show either SataLink or SataRaid in the “SCSI and Raid Controllers” section.

Michael

device manager hasnt got the section? under storage controllers it has:
Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataRaid controller
Windows promise ultra133 tx2 ide controller. (have 2 drives connected to this pci card)

Hi,[quote=chandru;2167897]device manager hasnt got the section?[/quote]I am running W2k, so some entries might have changed with newer flavours of Windows

under storage controllers it has:
Silicon Image SiI 3112 [B]SataRaid [/B]controller

Just as I expected. This controller is a Raid controller. These do not work well with optical drives. For advice, see my posts above.

Michael

just rebooted the pc, and also went into the silicon bios setup on bootup, and clicked “delete raid” and it said there was no raid setup.?

A Raid controller supports several drive configurations, please check the manual of your motherboard for details.
Please also check your manual if the motherboard Bios allows to change the operation mode of the SiI controller (I doubt that).

Device manager shows clearly, this is a Raid controller. Any problems you experience with your drive might be due to this way you attached your drive.

Michael

lol this is weird. changed the drivers to siI 3112 satalink ones, my computer wouldnt boot to windows, then had to change it back to sataraid, and now my drive reads those discs which i set to booktype dvdrom! YAY!

with nero infotool, it says under configuration for storage controllers:

driver info:
file: oem29.inf
description: Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataLink controller
Version: 1.3.68.2
Provider: Silicon Image
Date: 4-13-2007

how do i check if it definately using that driver? that is what i changed the driver to and then windows didnt boot up, so had to bootup with windows vista cd, and when it asked me to load drivers for my vista harddrive i used the sataraid ones from siliconimage.com with version 1.0.60.0. and then windows loads now?

Hi,[quote=chandru;2168229]with nero infotool, it says under configuration for storage controllers:

driver info:
file: oem29.inf
description: Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataLink controller
Version: 1.3.68.2
Provider: Silicon Image
Date: 4-13-2007[/quote]That’s odd.
This is the report for my configuration (SiI 3512 SataLink with Base Bios; W2kSP4):

Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller
    -----------------------------
    Driver
    Description               : Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller
    Company                   : Silicon Image
    Version                   : 1.3.68.2
    Date                      : 4-13-2007
    File Name                 : oem28.inf

Nearly the same. :eek:

how do i check if it definately using that driver?
I would expect Nero Info Tool (and also msinfo32 or device manager) should report the driver that is installed (and used) for a certain hardware.

that is what i changed the driver to and then windows didnt boot up, so had to bootup with windows vista cd, and when it asked me to load drivers for my vista harddrive i used the sataraid ones from siliconimage.com with version 1.0.60.0. and then windows loads now?
Maybe Vista has rewritten some information that was essential for booting. No idea, since I don’t have Vista here.

You might also check control panel, there might be an applet from Silicon Image present. This should show you what is present and active on your system.

Michael

theres something wrong here…weird!!

device manager says something else:
again same name "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataRaid controller"
driver provider: Silicon Image
driver date: 17/08/2007
driver version: 1.0.62.0

when i click on driver details…this is what it says

c:\windows\system32\drivers\SI3112r.sys (file version 1.0.62.0)
c:\windows\system32\drivers\SiWinAcc.sys (file version 1.1.12.0)
c:\windows\system32\SilSupp.dll (file version 3.0.28.0)

and all driver providers are Silicon Image…

any ideas?what program did u use for that info u displayed?

that is my motherboard and the 2nd picture from top is the picture of my sata controller on the motherboard…which says satalink?

can u only update the bios if it was a pci card?? and not the onboard bios for my controller? just want to see if I can flash it to the non-raid bios?

or is there a way to implement the new bios into my motherboard bios??

Hi,[quote=chandru;2168635]theres something wrong here…weird!!

device manager says something else:
again same name "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SataRaid controller"
driver provider: Silicon Image
driver date: 17/08/2007
driver version: 1.0.62.0

when i click on driver details…this is what it says

c:\windows\system32\drivers\SI3112r.sys (file version 1.0.62.0)
c:\windows\system32\drivers\SiWinAcc.sys (file version 1.1.12.0)
c:\windows\system32\SilSupp.dll (file version 3.0.28.0)

and all driver providers are Silicon Image…[/quote]This is, what I’d expect.

any ideas?what program did u use for that info u displayed?
I posted the output of Nero Info Tool. I have a PCI card that I applied the non-Raid Base Bios to. So this information is correct, device manager does not report anything else.

[quote=chandru;2168676]can u only update the bios if it was a pci card?? and not the onboard bios for my controller? just want to see if I can flash it to the non-raid bios?[/quote]The Bios of onboard controllers is part of the motherboard Bios. So you can’t flash SiI’s Base Bios.
But you might check the options of your motherboard Bios if there are any configuration options for your controller. Just as an example: My motherboard came with an onboard Promise Sata/IDE controller. The mainboard Bios offers the options “Disabled/Sata/Raid” for that controller.

or is there a way to implement the new bios into my motherboard bios??
This is something, the mainboard manufacturer could do. Please check mainboard manufacturer’s support website.

[quote=chandru;2168647]that is my motherboard and the 2nd picture from top is the picture of my sata controller on the motherboard…which says satalink?[/quote]Since SataRaid and SataLink are the same chip, it does not matter what is written on it :wink: The operating mode is determined by the Bios that controls the chip.

Michael