Burning errors

vbimport

Recently my computer became unstable. First a SATA port failed. When I connect a HDD to that port the case speaker beeps like crazy, and I have no idea why. These “beeps” are made after windows is loaded, not during POST, so I don’t know what happens.

For a long time, I burned DVD using a SATA to USB adapter because there are not enough SATA ports in my mainboard. Everything worked good, until recently when I started to get a lot of errors

Failed to Write Sectors xxxxxx - xxxxxx - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)

The strangest thing is that I can burn 4-5 DVD with no errors, then suddenly these errors appear. When verifying the burned disc (ImgBurn Verify mode --> Verify Against Image File) there are no errors, so I assume that the disc was written correctly.

To exclude a overheating problem, I put a 12 cm fan over the adapter, to keep it cool, but it didn’t solve.

These errors appear only when using that specific SATA to USB adapter. I tried different drives and different media, but errors are still there.

If the adapter is damaged, errors should be always present. I tried to connect the adapter to different USB ports, but errors are still there, so I’m assuming that the mainboard is not faulty.

Any idea what can be the problem?

i would try to defrag the swap file first with a boot time defrag and see what happens.

I would say you need a new PC and build it properly without use of adapters. Build it with top quality Hardware, and get a good Case that allows proper cooling. When you hear many Beeps that is not good, something is very wrong and probably your Hardware configuration. :cool:

[QUOTE=geno888;2636306]These errors appear only when using that specific SATA to USB adapter.[/QUOTE]
The problem has to be in the adapter . Something triggers a glitch , short , or something in it.
I’m sure you have already done this but try cleaning the contacts of this adapter . All of them .

For the “swap” file suggestion: I doubt that is the problem .
Better than defragging it is to choose " No paging file " reboot & then change it back to what it was before . Reboot again. This will delete it then rebuild it.

First of all thanks for answers :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=macnavarra;2636310]i would try to defrag the swap file first with a boot time defrag and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

The ISO files I burn are on a separate disk, so I don’t think that the swap file can cause this problem. However I’ll try to defrag C: just to exclude totally this factor :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2636332]I would say you need a new PC and build it properly without use of adapters. Build it with top quality Hardware, and get a good Case that allows proper cooling. When you hear many Beeps that is not good, something is very wrong and probably your Hardware configuration. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I’m already trying to select the right components. The main problem is however that I’m in money shortage, so I’m afraid that this solution will require some more time :o

[QUOTE=cholla;2636333]The problem has to be in the adapter . Something triggers a glitch , short , or something in it.
I’m sure you have already done this but try cleaning the contacts of this adapter . All of them .

For the “swap” file suggestion: I doubt that is the problem .
Better than defragging it is to choose " No paging file " reboot & then change it back to what it was before . Reboot again. This will delete it then rebuild it.[/QUOTE]

At the moment the adapter is the only way for me to connect a burner because all slots in mainboard are occupied :doh:

Maybe I should get a new adapter until I’ll be able to afford a new mainboard :frowning:

[QUOTE=geno888;2636387] At the moment the adapter is the only way for me to connect a burner because all slots in mainboard are occupied [/QUOTE]

I understand & it seems to be the solution.

[QUOTE=geno888;2636387]
Maybe I should get a new adapter until I’ll be able to afford a new mainboard :frowning: [/QUOTE]
I would clean the contacts first & see if that helps. If you have some aerosol contact cleaner use it.
Then if you are still getting errors I would replace the adapter.
It is possible the driver for the adapter & your OS don’t work well together.

[QUOTE=cholla;2636428]
It is possible the driver for the adapter & your OS don’t work well together.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think to this possibility. The box is actually brand new (this one). I bought it about a month ago :doh: