Burning DVDs

How do I burn VOB files to DVD

Welcome to the forums camdengirl.

Vob files are a special type of mpeg2 file found within dvd video. They are not the only files you need when burning to dvd video format however. You also need the navigation files…with an .ifo designation and the .bup files which are backups of the .ifo files.

So, we have to know if you have all of these files, or just the .vob files. If you have all of them, make a folder called Video_TS and put all of the .vob, .ifo and .bup files within it. Then use ImgBurn to burn the Video_TS folder onto a dvd. If you don’t have the settings correct within ImgBurn for dvd video, it will ask you if you want to correct them. Let ImgBurn do this correction for you.

Now, if all you have are the .vob files, you will have to reauthor them into dvd video format. This can be done with no loss of quality. Download a program called DVDFlick. Use all of the vob files as your input and let Flick build a new dvd for you. Then burn with ImgBurn. Both DVDFlick and ImgBurn are free to download and use.

I normally combine the vob files before importing them into a program like Flick, but don’t remember offhand if this is absolutely necessary. If you have any issues with importing the vob files, combine them into one mpeg2 file using Vob2Mpg (in Vobset mode, not IFOMode), then import this one big mpeg2 file into Flick. You can find Vob2Mpeg here. The free version works just fine.

Edit: Vob2Mpg expects to find vob files within a Video_TS folder, so if yours are not within such a folder you should put them in one. Its easy to make a folder and give it this exact name.

Its much easier by using windows movie maker. :wink:

Windows Movie Maker (found on versions of Windows prior to Win7) does not output in dvd-video format. It has to hand the output to Windows DVD Maker. This process degrades the video considerably, since Movie Maker will convert the mpeg2 found in the original vobs to .wmv format, then Windows DVD Maker has to re-convert it to mpeg2 to put into dvd video output. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.

Windows Live Movie Maker, found in Win 7, is a completely reworked program. I’m not very familiar with it, but it [B]seems[/B] capable of output to dvd video without the mess of the earlier programs. I wouldn’t trust it not to re-encode the video however.

Am I correct in assuming you want to burn a movie to a DVD? Welcome to MyCE.com

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2642624]Windows Movie Maker (found on versions of Windows prior to Win7) does not output in dvd-video format. It has to hand the output to Windows DVD Maker. This process degrades the video considerably, since Movie Maker will convert the mpeg2 found in the original vobs to .wmv format, then Windows DVD Maker has to re-convert it to mpeg2 to put into dvd video output. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.

Windows Live Movie Maker, found in Win 7, is a completely reworked program. I’m not very familiar with it, but it [B]seems[/B] capable of output to dvd video without the mess of the earlier programs. I wouldn’t trust it not to re-encode the video however.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: All the way and on the DVD Flick suggestion too, which I use quite often especially for videos with low volume/sound which flick allows you to increase.

Old school. :flower: Try avidemux. Edit the movie in mpeg streamclip.
Google is your friend. :smiley:

BTW. Don’t think WMM ever supported VOB file convertion.

I’Ve had some success with DVDFlick on some video & not so much on others.
It is kind of tempermental .For example on what I’ve been working on the last couple of days I got two different errors .
I managed to find a fix for the first one & then the second one appeared.
The both errors are completely wrong .
The first one says the file is -1 second in time when it is 17 minutes approx .
That makes it not work correctly .
That one I fixed with a ffmpeg.exe from another software instead of the one that was installed with DVD Flick.
The second one says this;
"This file cannot be added to the title. You can only combine video
sources that are equal in width, height, framerate and compression
method."
It is a .VOB file from the same VIDEO_TS folder as the rest & ripped at the same time.
An inspection with the latest version of MediaInfo show all the above to be the same as the other .vobs .
Lately I’ve had AVStoDVD work much better .

Hiya, I’ve made 2 films on DVD Flick but the on both the sound is slightly behind the picture, is there anything i can do to fix it? Rachel x

Hiya, I’ve made 2 films on DVD Flick but the on both the sound is slightly behind the picture, is there anything i can do to fix it? Rachel x

hiya, i’ve burnt 2 films to dvd on dvd flicks but the sound is a few seconds behind the picture, is there any way that I can fix it? Rachel x

hiya, i’ve burnt 2 films to dvd on dvd flicks but the sound is a few seconds behind the picture, is there any way that I can fix it? Rachel x