Burning dvd's with a cd writer?

ive been told there is a new program, which has just come out it tricks the cd writer into burning on to blank dvd’s.
i was told about this program by many people from stores maplins’ -pc world etc…plus other people,
where can i find this program and whats it called?

can anyone help?

Because DVD’s write in smaller pits than CD’s,and the laser is therefore different
,I doubt it very strongly…

to many dif people have spoke about it pc world is one of the bigest selling stores there is and they were talking about it and i did’nt even metion the suject.
maplins - another big computer store in the uk told me they new of the program and how it worked in detail but would not tell me the name only to check the net as its on there.
other people i have spoken to on copying subject have all so metioned it.
so i think its out there…

Utter nonsense, and a physical impossibility. It’s one of the many current rip-offs. What it does is burn a VCD in much lower quality. It “may” play on your DVD player, but that does not make it a DVD.
Suggest you read through the DVD software forum.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=64495

Sounds very much like a scheme discussed here many times and often reminds me of how my cousin came back with a blank CD-R because he heard you could write CDs…even though he only had a CD-ROM player.

But let’s say it was a good thing you came here and heard it before you spent a lot of money…

Isn’t it real deal?
Even though it reduces some quality… I can possess a movie for 1 dollar…(plus renting money)
Is there any body used that kind of program?
Is there any way to burn a DVD into a CDR?

you will probably need to flash your CDR writer firmware with the closest dvd writer firmware you can find. Good Luck

Poon

you will probably need to flash your CDR writer firmware with the closest dvd writer firmware you can find. Good Luck

I use the new utility: CDtoDVDFlash to do this in DOS, works great. :eek:

rdgrimes,
your a mess. some pretty funny stuff

Poon

rdgrimes,
is that version 3.0 or 2.5. I heard 2.5 works, but not sure about the new one

version 3.0

the new version has a couple new bugs, but if you take the CD drive out and put it in upside down it works better. If you reverse the IDE connector you can use it to flash DVD-ROM drives to a CDRW firmware.:rolleyes:

Yeah,RD,I saw a example of such a machine at www.DVDhurt.com

But… but…
Look at this site. Looks so cheap though
http://www.dvdcopyprogrm.com/
Will it be worth of my money? Or it’s just a scam.
I’m looking for how to backup DVD movie with my cd-writer…
I searced, but most result are about DVD to DVD thread.
Would you help me to find the right thread?
Or just reply this thread?

Do a search on google or this forum for DVD to VCD, SVCD, or DivX. They’ll show you how to cram a DVD movie on a CD-R or 2 with some quality loss of course.

any program that claims to backup a dvd onto a cd (or multiple cds) just takes the film part and reencodes it to lower the bitrate and make it fit onto a cd (or multiple cds).

if that’s what u’re looking to do, there are many free options available. my vote goes to DVD2SVCD (http://www.dvd2svcd.org) which encodes the dvd to multiple SVCDs (usually 2, depending on ur settings and the length of the film). it automates the entire conversion process and is very easy to use. besides the DVD2SVCD bundle, u’ll have to get either TMPGEnc (free) or Cinema Craft Encoder (basic = $58, SP = $1950) for encoding the video. the advantages of CCE over TMPGEnc are that it is faster and produces better quality video.

Originally posted by heat6275
But… but…
Look at this site. Looks so cheap though
http://www.dvdcopyprogrm.com/
Will it be worth of my money? Or it’s just a scam.
I’m looking for how to backup DVD movie with my cd-writer…
I searced, but most result are about DVD to DVD thread.
Would you help me to find the right thread?
Or just reply this thread?

Did you read this bit:
From near the bottom of the page.

*Disclaimer - Please read before placing your order

• All software is located on one (1) 650 Mega CD ROM. **This site and the software sold on this site are “freeware” information. The CD ROM contains various links to web sites and other services that are totally legal. Some sites or services may require a fee to perform some of the investigative services or media backup software as mentioned on this web site. Some game copy information requires the use of mod chips, we continuously try to update our information, but some dead or broken links may be present. This information is to make backup copies of media you already own. We take NO RESPONSIBILITY for the various links or services on this “freeware” CD. Nor are we associated with any of them. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee (less S&H) is you are not totally satisfied with this CD ROM. Just return the disc to us and we will promptly refund your money the same way you paid. THIS CD ROM is for educational and entertainment purposes ONLY. All Free gifts are given away as links to web sites offering the described product for free. (Some conditions may apply and can expire at anytime) All software is located on one 650meg plus CD ROM, to include the bonus files. We DO NOT give away T Shirt’s, Credit Cards or Phone Cards. One (1) Free Vacation Certificate is given away with every order.

Sounds to me like a cd with a few links on it

Yeah! It’s totally scam!
I didn’t read through…Sorry for bothering…:bigsmile:

Heat,
DL a copy of freeware called DVDx 2.2 and go to town. All in one, maybe NOT the absolute best quality, but VHS at least. About an hour of movie to a cd-r. Only a couple things to set to get it to go.
I’ve DLd tons of diff recipes, and if you want to go to 24 hour lengths to make a “backup” you’re welcome to, but I think DVDx is about the easiest. Did I mention it’s free and you don’t need to DL all the support software and codecs? 100 min DVD converted to 2 CD-Rs in approx 3 hours, on 1800XP, 3 hour movie took about 6 hours, 4 disks. If you use Nero, don’t re-encode, click make non-standard disk. Plays in Apex1201, Koss, Pana, JVC, that I know of.
Luck

There is a freeware to make a copy with just one click?
Oh~ God…
I bought dvd-dup for about 40 dollars, because I don’t want to cope with all process to make a SVCD.
Anyway, with DVD-DUP it usually need about 15 hours with my AMD 1800… How come DVDx is so fast? Isn’t the quality very bad? And also I tried to download DVDx, but it required the none-free ID… I don’t want to spend any more money for this %$$%.
Would guys tell me how much time you spend to make a SVCD for 2 hrs DVD movie?
With DVDx or DVD2SVCD…:bow:

DVD2SVCD is pretty much just one click after u set everything up the way u want in the settings (which doesn’t take long). the time to encode a movie depends on how fast ur comp in the encoding process is (most important factors are cpu speed and ram), quality settings, and the length of the movie. i haven’t ripped a dvd in a while so i don’t quite remember exactly how long it takes for me, but 15 hrs is probably a good ballpark figure to get near dvd quality on a 2 hr movie. the $40 u spent on dvd-dup would’ve probably been better spent going toward purchasing CCE Basic cuz i’ve never heard of dvd-dup, so the quality probably isn’t as good as even DVD2SVCD + TMPGEnc, which is 100% free.

and yes, the quality of DVDx is pretty bad. as gmatov said, about vhs quality.