Burning DVD

I am trying to burn a movie to DVD from avi file and it is taking forever. So far it’s been 14 hours and not even halfway through.

Not sure what info you need but am using:

Dell Dimension 1100 - Intel Celeron processor 2.53 ghz
DVD Burner - Sony DRX-840U
Pinnacle Studio 10 for encoding and burning
Memorex DVD - DVD+R-DL 8.5 gb 2.4x

Should it be taking this long? Have burned other movies before (not this long and on DVD-R 4.7 gx 16x and two hour movie took about eight hours.

[QUOTE=swolfer;2228307]I am trying to burn a movie to DVD from avi file and it is taking forever. So far it’s been 14 hours and not even halfway through.

Not sure what info you need but am using:

Dell Dimension 1100 - Intel Celeron processor 2.53 ghz
DVD Burner - Sony DRX-840U
Pinnacle Studio 10 for encoding and burning
Memorex DVD - DVD+R-DL 8.5 gb 2.4x

Should it be taking this long? Have burned other movies before (not this long and on DVD-R 4.7 gx 16x and two hour movie took about eight hours.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about encoding and burning together or just burning?
For encoding, times are about OK for your processor, but burning to disc itself should not take longer than about 20-30 minutes at worse case, that include verification.
Is your burner set to DMA?

You would think 8-10 hrs encoding time, is more realistic…Try a different conversion app…ConvertxToDVD, is pretty darn quick…Or AVStoDVD,FAVC…

Yes, encoding and burning. How do I set burner to DMA?

Go into a Device Manager and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
Click on each IDE Chanel and open Advance setting, make sure it say DMA if available, if it say “PIO only”, change it to DMA.
This is important if your drive is IDE, if it is SATA, than it make no difference.

Ok checked that and both primary and secondary channels say “DMA if available.”

Is there anything that would help to speed things up?

tOnee1 - Are those programs that you are talking about? And where would I get them?

OK.
Try those other programs. You can Google them to see where they are available. Good site is VideoHelp.com, go to Tools there.
Are you using (I mean running other programs) your computer during conversion. If that is so, I do not think any other software will be faster.

I am running a word processing program, but can’t stop that because I work at home during the day and need to use that while it’s burning. Other than that no programs running.

So no other way to speed things up? Do you think it is my burner, DVD burning software or processor that is making it so slow, or all of them? Would you recommend any upgrades?

BTW - Appreciate all the help you’ve given!!

Video encoding times depend primarily on the speed of your cpu. You might be able to get a faster cpu for your current computer, but you’d be better off getting a new rig with a dual core or quad core processor. Using an encoder that can make use of all the cores will speed things up immensely.

Something else that is recommended is to have two separate hard drives in the system…two physical drives, not just partitions on one. Use one as the source, and the other as the target for your encoding jobs. This will speed things up too.

Don’t use Memorex DL media. You’re just setting yourself up for grief. Verbatim is the only DL media consistent enough for us to recommend around here.

I would not bother with upgrade. What I do, when it come to encoding, let it run over night with no other program running and than it does not bother anybody how long it takes.
For burning it is a good idea not to run anything while burning, since it may interrupt data flow and you end up with coaster.

Yea I do try to encode and burn overnight and started this one at about 6:00 PM yesterday and it’s still not even halfway through now at 11:0 AM the next morning. I just don’t understand why 2 hours of a movie only takes about eight hours to encode and burn, as opposed to more like 36 hours for a 2 1/2 hour movie to burn.

As far as the two drives. I’m not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I do have a Maxtor One Touch 500 GB external drive that I store the movies on because they take up so much room on C. Don’t know if that would matter or not. However, it’s only able to hold files and not programs and not sure if I can do that thing about using source drive and target encoding drive.

Good to know that about not running anything while burning. I think that’s what happened the other day when I tried to burn the same movie. After about 48 hours of encoding it said that burning failed. I was so mad!!! And I’ll stay away from Memorex in the future. Thanks!!

If you are encoding from external drive and back to it, I do not think that will go any faster, it use USB connection and that is not too fast to start with.
If you have room I would get internal drive and do it that way.
You can copy from external to C and encode to new internal drive, it should go faster.
If you get new SATA drive with 7500 rpm it should go better.
If you do not have SATA connection, you can always get SATA card for PCI or other slot type available on your machine.
Yes, stay away from Memorex.

Thank you all for the help!!!