[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-710A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]hi,
I have some problems on burning with DRU-710A. Please bear my explanation.
When I burn to optical media, I follow these steps:
- Prepare checksums (MD5+CRC32) for the files I want to burn on HDD
- Burn the data (for CD, I use half of the max burning speed of the media, usually 16-24x; for DVD, I use the lowest speed available, usually 4x; always finalize)
- Load the burned disc to my Samsung DVD-ROM (TSSTcorp SH-D162C) and re-copy the data from the disc to a temp folder on my HDD
- Recheck the copied files against the prepared checksums
For the most part, I have no trouble with CD. DVD is another matter, it "inconsistently" failed on step #3. By "inconsistently" I meant that some DVD passed step #3 flawlessly, while other failed. Re-burning (using new disc) the same set of files can fail on step #3 at different points (i.e. disc #1 failed on file A, disc #2 failed on file B, disc #3 failed on file X).
Sometimes I can burn 2-3 discs without problem, while other times all my burns is bad (usually I stop after 2-3 consecutive botched burns, grumbling).
If a DVD passed step #3, it usually pass step #4 also. Trying to repeat step #3 and #4 at any other times will give consistent result (passed disc will always pass, failed disc will always fail at the same point).
I also tried to "CHKDSK /F" and defrag the partition where the source files reside, no avail.
All in all, my success rate on burning DVD with this burner is below 60%.
As a side note, using "track-at-once" setting on Nero when burning CDs give me more consistent success, as oppose to "disc-at-once", which is why I usually use Nero for CD burning. "disc-at-once" can sometime give the same "inconsistent" failure, although much less frequently than DVD. Sadly, there's no "track-at-once" setting for DVD on any burner sw I use (see below)
Here's my system:
- PentiumD 3Ghz
- MSI 945P Neo3 - i945 chipset
- DigitalAlliance 7200 - NVidia 7200 chipset
- 2GB Corsair Xms2
- Seagate ST3160211AS 160GB SATA
- Samsung TSSTcorp SH-D162C DVD-ROM on IDE Master (firmware: TS05)
- Sony DRU-710A DVD-RW on IDE Slave (firmware: BY03)
OS: WinXP Professional N Service Pack 2
- Nero Burning ROM 8.0.3
- DeepBurner 22.214.171.124
- UltraISO PE 126.96.36.1996 (occasionally)
Media: Verbatim DVD+R
I also tried on Ubuntu 7.10 with the default burner sw. Same result
Plz help. My files are dear to me.