Burning DVD, Booktype, Error checking program

vbimport

Burning DVD, Booktype, Error checking program

1. I wonder if I should use a DVD- or DVD-RW in the following situations.
    Eg: I burn a film or music. Is it necessary I need to close a CD/DVD before it can be read by a DVD standalone player?

2. How about if I clone a CD/DVD, is it necessary I have to close the CD/DVD?

3. What does a booktype do? It seems it is used to change the the disc type. But what’s the point of it?
    And if I change the disc type to either DVD-ROM / DVD-R, will this close the VD as well?

4. Is there any program which can check whether the burnt CD/DVD is REALLY error-free, or burnt properly?
    I once experienced the burning program said the CD was burnt successfully. In fact it couldn’t be read by others.

5. Is there any program which can check whether files (in my computer) is error-free or readable or uncorrupted?

Thanks.

[v2] 6) Which types of DVD should I buy, plus or minus?
Why?
I will burn the DVD and be read by both DVD standalone and computer DVD drive.
I will also format the DVD as UDF which can be accessed as if it were a floppy disk.

Thanks.

With most burning softwares, you shouldn’t have to actually close the cd or dvd, but with some programs it is necessary. Many of us burn +r dvd’s and bitset to -rom for greater compatibility. Both of my standalone units prefer -R or -Rom dvd’s. Some high quality +r’s will work, but not many. Other people have standalones that like -r’s. It depends on your needs. Only certain drives allow bitsetting or booktype changes. Check the forum for your particular burner and read up, and see what media is best for your burner. Always use high quality media, and you shouldn’t need to check quality, but if you do need to, NERO CD/SPEED is one that works with most drives. Some drives have their own specific software which is used to check/verifiy burned cd’s/dvd’s. Even the cheapest burner will burn good working dvd’s as long as you use the current firmware and good quality media. But if you require high quality all the time, look at burners like Plextor, Pioneer, Benq, LG, NEC.

With most burning softwares, you shouldn’t have to actually close the cd or dvd, but with some programs it is necessary.

This is what I am asking about.
When can I know I should close the CD/DVD (since the drive or DVD standalone couldn’t read it if I don’t oo)? When, I shouldn’t?

If it has to be closed, is it possibe to workaround it,leave it open and still readable by DVD players?

Thanks.

If you are burning with a pc, I don’t know of any softwares that specifically request/require you to close the cd/dvd. What software are you using…