Burning duel layer for first time,

vbimport

I’ve been using the DVDFab HD Decrypter /DVD shrink/Imgburn combo to backup my DVDs to single layer DVD-Rs.

Ive just ordered some Ritek duel layer DVD+Rs so I can get the whole DVD on to one disk uncompressed, can I use the same trio of software? if so what settings have to changed, or can anyone recommend any better way to back up onto D/L media.

Yes you can, but I would try different disc brand if this one give you a problem. Something like Verbatim.

I always seem to order the wrong brand:( whats wrong with these?

[QUOTE=solidamber;2174962]I always seem to order the wrong brand:( whats wrong with these?[/QUOTE]

They may not burn properly, but try and see. They may be OK for your player.

OK I have a Pioneer and a tsscorp so hopfully it will suit one

Only recommended brand to use for Dual Layer is Verbatim. One option would be to do a full rip (DVD9) with DvdFab & if you want you can burn that output with ImgBurn using the link I will give you. You can also run the output from DvdFab through FixVts & then burn with ImgBurn.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742

why do you use fixvts after dvdfab? just wondering

Cleanup, but it’s an “option” I use & I only use it on movie DLs, not on episodic DLs.

what does it cleanup? sorry for the ?'s just always looking for other ways to do my dvd backups.

For a technical reply you will have to ask somebody else. Basically it cleans up the VOBs, removing the useless unnecessary crap that is found in Dvds nowadays.

gotcha, thanks

No worries.

Well when I try to burn I get the error message

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_04)

This image has not been mastered corectly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the ‘DVD-Video specification’ criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?"

I have tried ISOs made on dvd shrink (no shrinking applied) and directly from dvdfab.

A search sugests i need a MDS file instead of a ISO can anyone advise me?

Well when I try to burn I get the error message

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_04)

This image has not been mastered corectly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the ‘DVD-Video specification’ criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?"

I would have said yes.

You could always look around the following.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

I downloaded a 30day trial of DVDfab platinum which copied and burned a couple of my DVD collection to D/L Ok so the Ritek pioneer combo seems to work.

how can I do this using imagburn/dvd hd decrypter, what settings need to be changed? what do any of you use for a sucessfull D/L backup

A search sugests i need a MDS file instead of a ISO can anyone advise me?

When you rip the dvd to your HD and you know that you’re going to burn to a DL disc, you should always have the ripping program create a mds file along with the iso. That’s the file that has the layer break info. The burning program has to know when to switch to the second layer. If you’re doing a data dvd i don’t think it matters though. When you burn cue up the dvd using the mds file and the layer break placement should be fine then.
When i burn a DL dvd i always rip in file mode ( ifo, vob, bup files)because i like to blank the fbi warning at the beginning of the movie. You can use Vobblanker for this. It’s a nice little free program that basically allows you to edit a dvd. I also like to make sure all of the restrictions are removed, for example, sometimes when watching a movie on my cpu, i can’t fast forward or use the slider in PowerDVD.

Full rip (DVD9), with DvdFab then burn with ImgBurn using the following if you want.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742

http://www.imgburn.com/

@ solidamber, your question has been answered numerous times in this thread, not the least of which Post #6 & now again in Post #17.

Thank you all for the advice, I will try using dvdfab to output as a file and set imgburn to manually set the layer break, I’m learning a lot.

and will try the MDS file method
Dvdfab decryptor does not have the option to create one which other ripping program would be recommended.

I will keep you informed of how i get on.

In a nutshell:

Rip DVD files to HDD. Load files in IMGBurn, chose a layer break, and create an ISO/MDS combo. Use IMGBurn to burn to DVD+R DL.