Burning Double Layer DVD+Rs

vbimport

I’m trying to make a backup of a Region 2 DVD and then burn it to a Double Layer DVD+R. I’ve never burned a DL blank DVD before so thats why I’m asking about it here.

I’ve got some Verbatim Double Layer 8x DVD+Rs (Made in Singapore) which I want to use to burn my Region 2 DVD backup. I bought those Verbatims a while ago and I haven’t really had the chance to use them until now.

My DVD Burner is a Benq DW1650 and I’m using DVD Decrypter as my ripping and burning program.

How do I burn my DL DVD+R and maintain the Layer Break from the original Region 2 DVD? And is there a 100% definitive way of burning DL discs? Please bear in mind that these discs are really expensive and I want to make sure that I burn them properly to increase compatability with my DVD equipment.

Rip to the hard drive using DVDDecrypter in ISO Read mode. This will give you an ISO file and a small mds file. The mds file contains the layer break information. Load the mds file into DVDDecrypter in ISO Write mode and have at it.

Or better yet, get ImgBurn, which is the updated burning engine from Decrypter. www.imgburn.com Load the mds file into it to burn.

Another method is to use ImgBurn for the whole process. You rip to the hard drive in File mode (Imgburn can’t handle encrypted dvds), then build the image and mds file using ImgBurn. Here is the guide for that: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

Nothing in life is 100% by the way. One possible problem I foresee is using 8x DL disks in a relatively older burner like the 1650. Perhaps someone more familiar with that drive will chip in and tell you if they are supported in your firmware. I wouldn’t burn faster than 4x.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2065127]Rip to the hard drive using DVDDecrypter in ISO Read mode. This will give you an ISO file and a small mds file. The mds file contains the layer break information. Load the mds file into DVDDecrypter in ISO Write mode and have at it.

Or better yet, get ImgBurn, which is the updated burning engine from Decrypter. www.imgburn.com Load the mds file into it to burn.

Another method is to use ImgBurn for the whole process. You rip to the hard drive in File mode (Imgburn can’t handle encrypted dvds), then build the image and mds file using ImgBurn. Here is the guide for that: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

Nothing in life is 100% by the way. One possible problem I foresee is using 8x DL disks in a relatively older burner like the 1650. Perhaps someone more familiar with that drive will chip in and tell you if they are supported in your firmware. I wouldn’t burn faster than 4x.[/QUOTE]

Is it okay to have both DVD Decrypter and ImgBurn installed on my PC? Are they gonna cause conflicts? Because as far as I can see, they are basically the same program.

I’ve always ripped my DVDs with DVD Decrypter in ISO Mode anyway. I did always wonder what that .mds file was there for. At least I know now that I can use it to burn my DL disc.

I’m pretty sure that my Benq 1650 does support Verbatim 8x DL DVD+Rs. I put it in my drive the other day and it said that it will support 2.4x, 4x and 8x recording speeds. I think I might burn at 4x anyway like you said just to be on the safe side.

You won’t have any conflicts by having both ImgBurn and DVDDecrypter installed at the same time. They are similar, having the same author, but ImgBurn has been updated many times since the death of Decrypter, and it is a better program for burning video.

Good luck on your DL burns.

I just thought I’d post an update. I did manage to successfully burn my Double Layer disc.

I installed ImgBurn and it installed okay. It seems to be working fine with DVD Decrypter.

I followed your instructions to the letter and it all went smoothly. The disc passed the Data Verification test.

It looks like my Benq 1650 is fine for burning Double Layer discs. Now I’m wondering how long will this disc last for?