Burning DL DVD

vbimport

I’ve read the stickied guide and still am not completely sure the correct process to burn backed up DVD files to a DL disc using ImgBurn.

I have a Pioneer DVR-108 drive and a not-quite-as-new Pioneer DV-578A. It doesn’t officially support playback of +R DL discs, so I’d like to make sure I have the right settings down on the first try so I don’t waste a DL disc.

In build mode - I just select the AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS, and JACKET_P folder correct? For settings, I don’t know which would offer the most compatibility. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think my drive supports changing of booktype either.

Check ImgBurn / Tools / Drive / Capabilities & the following link, Post #18.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/reading-dual-layer-dvds-235705/

Under Tools / Drive / Capabilities I don’t see a category for book type (in other words, no checked/unchecked entry).

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10114&PageId=20

Hmm cool. Guess that’s settled then.

In your screenshots you skipped over the options tab in ImgBurn - is there anything to set there for max compatibility?

Default settings in ImgBurn have worked fine for me, you will of course have to set the write speed.

Unless you know what you are doing, we strong recommend that you use the default settings.

Regards

I apologize for jumping into this thread, but my questions seems to fit here . .

I am about to attempt burning to double layer media for the first time. I expect Imgburn is my best bet to use. I have a ripped dvd created by DVDDeCryptor in file mode. I’m thinking I’d like to burn it keeping the original layer break. Does DVDDeCryptor retain the original layer break - or is it removed when ripping in file mode?

Also - can I process these files with something like vobblanker and still salvage the layer break from the original (if DVDDeCryptor left it there, of course).

I’m assuming I can always use the preview feature in Imgburn to select a decent spot for a layer break, or re-rip the disc in iso image mode to retain the original layer break? :cool:

In file mode DVD Decrypter doesn’t save the Layer Break information, so the LB must be calculated again. You can use ImgBurn for this, but the best alternative is to rip again the original in ISO mode :slight_smile:

Thanks - It looks like I am 1 for 1!
Benq 1655 burner - booktype set for dvd-rom for dvd+r/dl media
Media = Ricoh 8x DVD+R/DL
Program = Imgburn version 2.4 - speed set for 2.4 (took LUK’s advice in the guide to use a slow speed).
I created an image with DVDDeCryptor (still an awesome program) rather than using the files I had stored on the hard disc earlier.
Image used almost all of the available space on a DL media.
The burn went perfectly.
I have not watched the entire disc yet, but I have sampled it in every chapter through to the end credits and it seems to work perfectly - and my player appears to like this media in double layer.
Great - and Thanks. :cool:

You’re welcome:)

I suggest however to use only Verbatim DL media: all other brands, too bad, give very disappointing results :frowning:

[QUOTE=geno888;2009371]You’re welcome:)

I suggest however to use only Verbatim DL media: all other brands, too bad, give very disappointing results :([/QUOTE]

Yes - I am aware of the strong recommendations to Verbatim media in these forums and I appreciate your advice. I like Verbatim media - but their DL media is very expensive, so I decided to experiment a little with 1 or 2 other brands. I expected to make a number of coasters before finding success. But, as it turns out, it worked perfectly - I expect thanks go to LUK’s ImgBurn - and Benq’s wonderful 1655 burner. I have a small supply of this Ricoh 8x DVD+R/DL media - and we’ll see if the rest of it works as well as the first. Thanks again.

Just burnt the first DL and tested it. Playback was good - I didn’t test to see where it jumped from the first layer to the second, however it was playing fine overall. There was a frame or two where I saw some corruption (small blurred boxes).

One thing I noticed is, at the Layer Break Position window, it showed all average… what’s the reason for that and which should I choose?

Where did that files come from, directly from DL???

A Full Disc backup (DVDFab Plat) with the AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS, and JACKET_P folders in build mode (ImgBurn) produced those results.

The only time you get away from ‘average’ is when SPLIP is false, the VOB ID (in V/C ID) changes at the given cell, it’s Cell 1 in the PGC or the LB position lands on an actual file.

As none of yours fit any of that, they’re all considered ‘Average’.

Without seeing the actual content (i.e. via the preview), the best position (technically speaking) would be as close to 50/50 as possible and with the least padding.

Interesting that all your cells are marked as seamless. Was it a superbit DVD? Or did DVDFab remove the layer break. Anyway, unless you check the seamless box, the non-seamless cell at the LB will be re-inserted by ImgBurn.

In any event, pick any one of the offered cells.

Regards

[quote=LIGHTNING UK!;2015813]The only time you get away from ‘average’ is when SPLIP is false, the VOB ID (in V/C ID) changes at the given cell, it’s Cell 1 in the PGC or the LB position lands on an actual file.

As none of yours fit any of that, they’re all considered ‘Average’.

Without seeing the actual content (i.e. via the preview), the best position (technically speaking) would be as close to 50/50 as possible and with the least padding.[/quote]

I ended up choosing the first (30124 padding) since, in preview mode, it seemed like between cell 1 and 2 it was a better place to have a pause (if any) versus the second with 14 padding.

[quote=blutach;2016834]Interesting that all your cells are marked as seamless. Was it a superbit DVD? Or did DVDFab remove the layer break. Anyway, unless you check the seamless box, the non-seamless cell at the LB will be re-inserted by ImgBurn.

In any event, pick any one of the offered cells.

Regards[/quote]

Just looked in DVDFab settings. Under DVD -> Protection -> Remove layer break was checked by default. Why would this setting fall under protection? Wouldn’t it be desirable to keep the original layer break?

Also, in the future if there is no layer break, should ‘seamless’ be checked?