Burning cdr problem

vbimport

i just made a backup of ebooks on a 650mb cdr using nero 5.5.7.8 /w simulation then actual burn @ 8x, single closed session.. the burning process went fine, but i'm having problem access the cd.. when i put the cd into my cdrom, my cdrom was able to recog it in a couple seconds.. there are about 101 ebooks.. the whole cd consist of 13612 files and 1648 folders.. i was able to access, by opening the pdf or chm file, the 1st 65 ebooks(the 1st 65 ebooks contain 6106 files and 965 folders), but i always get error messages like "please place the cdrom into the drive"(the cdrom is in the drive already.. windows somehow forgot that the cd is in the driver) or "file contain invalid msdos filename" when i try to access any ebooks after the 65th ebook.. does anyone know what's wrong here? is there anyway to find out whether it's the problem with my burner or the cdr? did my cd compilation exceed the number of files allowed to be written on a cdr?

i've burned a couple cd's using the exact same brand/type of cdr disc before and i've never encountered this kind of problem before..

my system spec:

cd burner: sony crx 140
cd reader: sony 52x
cd media: 74 mins(650mb) memorex cd-r discs /w jewel box.. the disc is made by fujifilm(got this info off cdridentifer).

i am not sure…but i think you use to much folders.

are these folders subdirectories of eachother?..only a certain depth is allowed

did you close the session or the disk??

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]i am not sure…but i think you use to much folders.

are these folders subdirectories of eachother?..only a certain depth is allowed

did you close the session or the disk?? [/B]

i have 101 folders/dir in the root dir of the cd and the max depth of the subdirectory in a main directory is about 4.

the session is closed.

hmm…strange

can you try to close the cd on a cdrw…just for testing

[B]hmm…strange

can you try to close the cd on a cdrw…just for testing [/B]

i tried opening the cdr using the “continue multisession disc” option, but nero gives me an error message saying that the media isn’t writable and asked me to insert a new disc… i think disc is closed already…

just wondering could this mean i got a bad disc or a bad burner?

Originally posted by izz
[B]i just made a backup of ebooks on a 650mb cdr using nero 5.5.7.8 /w simulation then actual burn @ 8x, single closed session… the burning process went fine, but i’m having problem access the cd… when i put the cd into my cdrom, my cdrom was able to recog it in a couple seconds… there are about 101 ebooks… the whole cd consist of 13612 files and 1648 folders… i was able to access, by opening the pdf or chm file, the 1st 65 ebooks(the 1st 65 ebooks contain 6106 files and 965 folders), but i always get error messages like “please place the cdrom into the drive”(the cdrom is in the drive already… windows somehow forgot that the cd is in the driver) or “file contain invalid msdos filename” when i try to access any ebooks after the 65th ebook… does anyone know what’s wrong here? is there anyway to find out whether it’s the problem with my burner or the cdr? did my cd compilation exceed the number of files allowed to be written on a cdr?

i’ve burned a couple cd’s using the exact same brand/type of cdr disc before and i’ve never encountered this kind of problem before…

my system spec:

cd burner: sony crx 140
cd reader: sony 52x
cd media: 74 mins(650mb) memorex cd-r discs /w jewel box… the disc is made by fujifilm(got this info off cdridentifer). [/B]

Turn off the CD-ROM caching completely! Windows is trying to cache the directory tree that causes the freeze and error. See whether it helps!

Alternatively, use programs like ISO Buster or CD Scan to see whether you can access all the files correctly … it can be a bad burn. Sometimes when the burn laser gets weak on old drives, the recorded CD will have weak sectors that only certain CD-ROM can handle, once a while. That happens to my previous CRX-140E too.

Enjoy! =)

Originally posted by Emilex
[B]

Turn off the CD-ROM caching completely! Windows is trying to cache the directory tree that causes the freeze and error. See whether it helps!

Alternatively, use programs like ISO Buster or CD Scan to see whether you can access all the files correctly … it can be a bad burn. Sometimes when the burn laser gets weak on old drives, the recorded CD will have weak sectors that only certain CD-ROM can handle, once a while. That happens to my previous CRX-140E too.

Enjoy! =) [/B]

how do turn off the cd-rom caching? do i just go to my computer/cd-drive/hardware/highlight cdrom/property/policies and uncheck “enable write cache on the disk”?

is there a program that i can use to test whether my burner’s weak or not?

[B]

Alternatively, use programs like ISO Buster or CD Scan to see whether you can access all the files correctly …

[/B]

i tried to extract files from the cd using iso buster and i get the same error… i also tried the same disc in 2 difference cd rom and i got same error… so this could be a bad disc/bad burn?

Originally posted by izz
[B]

how do turn off the cd-rom caching? do i just go to my computer/cd-drive/hardware/highlight cdrom/property/policies and uncheck “enable write cache on the disk”? [/B]

If you’re using WinXP or Win2K then probably the caching isn’t the cause of the problem! And turning off the “write cache” will not help as the option is neglected on ATAPI devices.

However if you’re using Win98/Me, try using X-Setup to lower the cache settings.

To what I see your problem sounds more like a burner worn out issue.

Originally posted by izz
is there a program that i can use to test whether my burner’s weak or not?

Burn a few discs of different format and play it on your DVD player, discman, CD-ROM, etc. For audio CD, look for noise (not just pops but like scratching “sssss” sound as though you’re playing a LP); for VCD, see whether the video is corrupted (jerk, green blocks, freezes, etc), for DATA CD mode 1 or 2, use a program to compare the content and see if the copy differs from the original.

Then use a green dye CD-R to burn an audio CD. If your burner is new and the laser is calibralised, you should be able to see “track gaps” in between tracks clearly. For my worn out CRX-140, I hardly can see any.

Lastly, if you keep getting partial or completely working disc from the burner, then get it changed!

Originally posted by izz
[B]

i tried to extract files from the cd using iso buster and i get the same error… i also tried the same disc in 2 difference cd rom and i got same error… so this could be a bad disc/bad burn? [/B]

Yes, definitely. It could also be caused by bad / incompatible burning programs … but after all, the disc is faulty.

[B]

Yes, definitely. It could also be caused by bad / incompatible burning programs … but after all, the disc is faulty. [/B]

i tried to burn the exact same content with another brand, disc made by vanguard(i bought these discs in year 2000 as weel), and cd works fine, so i guess it’s the disc problem…

i just checked my drawer… i still have about 20 of these somewhat problematic fujifilm discs… i bought these discs back in year 2000… will these discs work fine with audio? i don’t think they are reliable for backing up data anymore… what’s the life time of blank cdr? these disc are made by fujifilm… i thought fujifilm made excellent disc and my noname(vangaurd) discs outlasted fujifilm discs. :frowning:

you do not seem to burn a lot when you have that many discs from 2000 left…lol

Originally posted by izz
[B]

i tried to burn the exact same content with another brand, disc made by vanguard(i bought these discs in year 2000 as weel), and cd works fine, so i guess it’s the disc problem…

i just checked my drawer… i still have about 20 of these somewhat problematic fujifilm discs… i bought these discs back in year 2000… will these discs work fine with audio? i don’t think they are reliable for backing up data anymore… what’s the life time of blank cdr? these disc are made by fujifilm… i thought fujifilm made excellent disc and my noname(vangaurd) discs outlasted fujifilm discs. :frowning: [/B]

Normal branded blue/green dye CD-R will last from 5-10 years (according to experients conducted at whether chambers) while some good ones (like those so-called gold) can last up to 25 years and above.

However, disc conditions are also affected by storage method. To me, i think the most important is the coating - where u write the text. A disc with bad coatings will develope “seeing through holes” throughout the surface very soon …

Not very sure about your Fujifilm … but as long as its speed capabilities are within your drive’s speed, i think it’s safe …

Tried to write at 8x on a 1-6x Mitsubishi (spelling?) CD-R … resulted in tons of errors …

you do not seem to burn a lot when you have that many discs from 2000 left…lol

yeah… i don’t burn a lot… that’s why i don’t see how my burner’s laser can be weaken and i only connect/power my burner when i want to burn cd… i’m glad that it’s the disc problem… :slight_smile:

[B]

Normal branded blue/green dye CD-R will last from 5-10 years (according to experients conducted at whether chambers) while some good ones (like those so-called gold) can last up to 25 years and above.

However, disc conditions are also affected by storage method. To me, i think the most important is the coating - where u write the text. A disc with bad coatings will develope “seeing through holes” throughout the surface very soon …

Not very sure about your Fujifilm … but as long as its speed capabilities are within your drive’s speed, i think it’s safe …

Tried to write at 8x on a 1-6x Mitsubishi (spelling?) CD-R … resulted in tons of errors … [/B]

if i lower the writing speed, will that solve the readiblity problem on the discs? i’ve made a couple disc using these fujifilm discs, write them in 8x, before and they worked fine… recently, they are starting to cause problems…

lowering the speed can make your disks more compatible with other cd-rom players

Originally posted by izz
[B]

if i lower the writing speed, will that solve the readiblity problem on the discs? i’ve made a couple disc using these fujifilm discs, write them in 8x, before and they worked fine… recently, they are starting to cause problems… [/B]

Yes definitely. The lower the burning speed the higher quality of the output. But burners are designed to burn an “acceptable” and within specifications disc at the rated speed. So if you have to lower the burn speed to achieve a stable copy, then again, it’s a sign of a worn out burner.