Burning CD-Rs - Use a DVD, BD, or CD burner?

Is there any advantage to burning a CD in an older CD-R/RW drive vs. using a DVD burner or BD burner? Do CD burners do a better job burning CDs than their more modern counterparts due to the laser wavelength or focus of the laser?

I’ve found that older CD-R/RW drives are able to rip CDs that DVD or BD drives can’t read successfully. I’ve got a few old Plextors (12x10x32 & 8x4x32) and a Lite-On 52x24x52 drive I’ve kept around for burning CDs. Am I working from a mistaken assumption or what?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2696690]Lite-On 52x24x52[/QUOTE]I was mistaken about this. It’s a 52x32x52 drive, Lite-On SOHR-5239S.

Do CD burners do a better job burning CDs than their more modern counterparts due to the laser wavelength or focus of the laser?

Do you really think that BD-drives use blue laser to read and write CD-discs? :slight_smile:

FYI: Blu-Ray drive uses THREE laser diodes which produce the beams with different wavelength, and it also uses TWO different lenses and optical systems - one for CD and DVD and another for BD.

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2696722]Do you really think that BD-drives use blue laser to read and write CD-discs? :)[/QUOTE]If they could get passable results with it, yes.

CD’s were design with a 780nm laser in mind. DVDs with a 650nm laser in mind. How do you know there are diodes for each in a BD or DVD burner? I’ve taken some DVD burners apart and can’t say that it was immediately obvious there were multiple laser diodes.

If they have multiple diodes and optical systems, why do old CD drives rip CDs that newer drives won’t. Wouldn’t the CD optical system in a DVD or BD drive be just as good if not better as the ones in an older CD drive?

Also, while I appreciate the reply and education, my question still stands. Do older dedicated CD drive do a better job burning CDs than the newer multi-format drives?

The reading ability of a drive CD, CD/DVD , & I guess CD/DVD/BD has a lot to do with the chipset. The available firmware too.
Then of course the quality of the laser or lasers the manufacturer used.
That may go for other drive parts also .
Even the same model could vary some. I sometimes have thought this was due to the motor of the drive. On one motor everything went right during manufacture .That motor is extra smooth.
Then the next drive got a poor motor that has some vibration .
I would think that effects the read & burn.

Since the main concern of BD capable drives is BD the manufactured may be skimping on the quality of the CD laser & not as concerned with the programing of the chipset in the CD area.

may be skimping on the quality of the CD laser & not as concerned with the programing of the chipset in the CD area

I think same. And also I guess that old CD drives use higher quality lenses, mirrors and diodes, do you remember their prices when they were new? Today’s BD-RE drives cost is even less!

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2696738]Do older dedicated CD drive do a better job burning CDs than the newer multi-format drives?[/QUOTE]

What discs are you burning?

Older media? Yeah, the older drives do better. Newer media? The older a drive, the less likely it supports newer media…

Besides, media support & write quality varies too much from drive to drive to say that a newer DVDRW or BDRE drive will always fare worse than one of the last CDRW drives. For example, LiteOn had variable CD write quality from generation to generation of its DVDRW drives, though some of its early 52x drives could do a better job. (The later 52x CDRW drives they did weren’t of a decent quality). Meanwhile, Optiarc, Samsung, and Pioneer had at least one or two drives a couple of years back with fairly good writing quality.

Long story short, no, there is no guarantee that a newer drive will do any better or worse than an older dedicated CDRW drive (or DVDRW drive, for that matter). It all depends on the variables, as cholla stated.

[QUOTE=Albert;2696830]What discs are you burning?[/QUOTE]Good question. I don’t burn many CDs. I was thinking to get some of the Verbatim Archival Grade 52x Gold discs for when I do need to burn one instead of relying on whatever I’ve got lying around on spindles from years ago.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2696883]Good question. I don’t burn many CDs. I was thinking to get some of the Verbatim Archival Grade 52x Gold discs for when I do need to burn one instead of relying on whatever I’ve got lying around on spindles from years ago.[/QUOTE]

In that case, maybe a well-known GOOD CD-RW drive (likely 48x or 52x) could do a respectable job. But in theory, a Pioneer DVR-x12/x15/x16/x17 could do a good job, too.

But if you had something like a Plextor Premium, Premium 2, or any other drive that was made specifically to have good CD writing capabilities, there might be a slight edge to that dedicated drive. Nothing that would guarantee the disc would last any longer or be more easily read years down the road, but the scan could easily be cleaner.

I’m not sure if its better but I use a couple of Plextor cd only burners for my cd burns with TY discs for at home use. Never had a problem so far. If I am burning cd’s for car use I use the cheapest blank cd I can find and burn them in whatever is available at the time since I consider them disposable. I also backup a lot of my flac files on bluray because the dollar/gb ratio is better and I don’t always convert my flacs to wave. My next car stereo will have the ability to accept a thumb drive and then I will be burning less cd’s.
budzos

[QUOTE=Albert;2696913]In that case, maybe a well-known GOOD CD-RW drive (likely 48x or 52x) could do a respectable job. But in theory, a Pioneer DVR-x12/x15/x16/x17 could do a good job, too.

But if you had something like a Plextor Premium, Premium 2, or any other drive that was made specifically to have good CD writing capabilities, there might be a slight edge to that dedicated drive. Nothing that would guarantee the disc would last any longer or be more easily read years down the road, but the scan could easily be cleaner.[/QUOTE]Well, I’ve purchased a few BenQ clones on ebay so I can do advanced quality scans on CDs. Once I have the clones working via a PCIe to IDE card I will do my own tests and see what I find. I’ll probably start testing with some cheaper blank CD-Rs though.

Well the Lite-On SOHR-5239S CD burner didn’t exactly have a good first outing vs. some of its friends.

Verbatim 52x Printable (MiT)
24x burn in Lite-On SOHR-5239S

24x burn in Optiarc AD-7200S

12x burn in Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32A

24x burn in BenQ DW1650

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697424]Well the Lite-On SOHR-5239S CD burner didn’t exactly have a good first outing vs. some of its friends.

24x burn in Lite-On SOHR-5239S[/QUOTE]

That would be one of the later CD-RW drives that I would NOT include in the list of dedicated CD-RW drives to consider when doing this comparison. LiteOn’s LTR-52327S (both revisions) and earlier were much better and more well respected. (Even the SOHR-5238S was okay, allegedly, just not much after that was said to be okay).

Any other drives you plan to test?

[QUOTE=Albert;2697459]Any other drives you plan to test?[/QUOTE]Yeah, I’m going to test my Blu-Ray burners, and some other DVD burners I have. I didn’t get to it last night.

24x burn in Lite-On iHBS112 2

24x burn in Pioneer BDR-206

I suppose I should point out these CD-Rs are Verbatim DataLife Plus 52x printable (non-hub) discs that were purchased several years ago, not the cheaper non-AZO variety. The hub of the discs have A5L13F2007952 printed on them. I’m not sure if that means they’re from 2007 or not.