Burning but not enough space on computer

Hi there,
I am trying to burn some cd’s, but when I use nero OR clonedvd, there is an error message saying theres not enough space on my c drive. I have gone to the temporary directory folder that it burns to, but it’s empty, I’ve even cleaned out all the temp internet files, music I dont need anymore, photos etc to make more room on my computer, but it says theres 4.38gb required and only 3.38gb available… what do I do??

Bin some more stuff or buy a bigger hard drive.

Is your C drive the only drive you have? There isn’t a D drive or other that has more room on it. You will need anywhere from 4.5 gigs to 12 gigs of space for DVD work depending on your process. Also check your recycle bin to see that it is empty.

download ccleaner. it will remove temp files, manage startup programs, register cleaner(not very effect) and uninstall unused programs. if you dont have much hard drive to work with better get alot of the unused programs, music and video files out of there, this is where you will gain the most space.

be sure to run windows disc cleanup and defrag after deleting everything.

troy

[QUOTE=kerin82;1931257]Hi there,
I am trying to burn some cd’s, but when I use nero OR clonedvd, there is an error message saying theres not enough space on my c drive. I have gone to the temporary directory folder that it burns to, but it’s empty, I’ve even cleaned out all the temp internet files, music I dont need anymore, photos etc to make more room on my computer, but it says theres 4.38gb required and only 3.38gb available… what do I do??[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to defrag and clean out unneeded files or downloaded internet temp files. Also what size is your HDD? When it says it doesn’t have enough space it means your HDD is too small and need more room on the HDD or you need to get a bigger drive. Also files created by nero and clonedvd can be bigger then 4.38G when it creates the image or temp files. What kinda cd are your burning are you sure they aren’t dvd??? Also what kinda of CDs are you burning???

it’s a dvd I’m burning, I’ve never had any trouble before… I’ll try and delete some more things, but I really don’t think I have too much on my hard drive compared to others… I’ll give it a clean out after work today and report back…

Cheers guys :slight_smile:

Ok, after more cleaning out of photos and music and stuff I really don’t need, I can now burn dvd’s again.

Just another question- when I’m burning with nero, is it normal for it to take over an hour to write the dvd to the blank disk? with clonedvd, it only ever took 10 mins max.
I can see the movie playing in fast forward while it is burning in nero- seems to need to fast forward through the whole movie as it burns…

I really just glad I can burn again, but if theres a way I can speed nero up, it would be a bonus!..

Cheers

If all you are doing is burning files to disc, then something is wrong. If you’re converting files (say from .avi to DVD-Video) as well as burning the result then that will take some time.

I would check three things as well:

[ul][li]Your hard drive might be really fragmented with all the cleaning you’ve been doing. This can slow the writing speed down a lot.
[/li][li]Check the DMA settings of the burner in Device Manager. It should be set to DMA and not PIO mode
[/li][li]Turn off the display of the movie, since it’s wasting a lot of time refreshing that window.
[/li][/ul]

Ok, firstly…

I am downloading .avi movies- is this wrong?

secondly…

How do I check the DMA?

and thirdly…

I can’t work out how to turn the display picture off (I use nero startsmart)

I’m so sorry, I really don’t know alot about this stuff!! I’m actually pretty impressed I’ve got this far without killing the computer!!! :iagree:

I use nero startsmart, and while it’s burning it displays the whole movie in the top right hand corner of box which I think is slowing it right down because it’s taking an hour to write the movie to the blank disk…:confused:

someone has suggested de-fraging, which I have done, anymore suggestions would be lovely!!

Cheers

Hi [B]kerin82[/B]: I’ve merged your new post into the older thread because that’s where the important information is. :slight_smile:

[quote=kerin82;1932599]I am downloading .avi movies- is this wrong?[/quote]We’re assuming you have read the rules on what type of downloaded content we can help you with.

Both .avi and DVD-Video burned to a DVD disc should play on your PC. However a standalone player in your living room must be able to play XviD or DivX for you to watch the .avi. If it won’t accept them, then they have to be converted from the XviD/Divx files to DVD-Video, and this can take a long time.

Can you tell us whather you are burning the files to watch on PC or player; and if the latter, whether it will accept the .avi file type.

[quote=kerin82;1932599]I can’t work out how to turn the display picture off (I use nero startsmart)?[/quote]Lets sort out the other problems first. You might not have to use the Start Smart interface of Nero.

[quote=kerin82;1932599]I’m so sorry, I really don’t know alot about this stuff!! I’m actually pretty impressed I’ve got this far without killing the computer!!! [/quote]Don’t worry, we’ve all been there :slight_smile:

Ok thats fine, but could you elaborate on your previous post about ways to fix the problem?? I’ve been trying for hours to work it out!!

Just need to know whether you are burning to watch on PC, or living room DVD player :wink: … and what make and model number that player is.

99% sure it is converting your video file to another format.

as you stated it was an .avi file, it is prob converting it to mpeg4 or similar

bottom line is this, if you only watch your videos on your computer->leave the file in .avi format

otherwise i would suggest converting your movie first and then burning it, this might speed things up a little…however you will prob need double the free disk space you have right now.

imkidd, It’s to watch on any DVD player,

and hellbringer, what should I convert the .avi to, and what the easiest way to do it…

I really appreciate your help

the easiest way is to do it the way you been doing it…

it sounds like your hard drive is full anyways so your problly out of luck until you upgrade. and you might not save much time converting the file on the hard drive anyways.

[B]kerin82[/B]: unfortunately the info you are giving us is too vague to provide specific help, because not all DVD players will play MPEG4 .avi files and we need the name of the one you’re using. If yours does, then you can follow [B]hellbringer[/B]'s advice and just burn the .avi files straight to DVD disc.

Otherwise you’ll have to convert them and there’s no escaping a much longer time to get them on to disc.

just to be clear, i was assuming the way he was doing it was converting the file, it sounded like his main problem is that its taking a long time to burn it, which i was assuming was because it is converting it on the fly during the burn