Burning audio cds. Speed make diff?

vbimport

I’ve heard that most cd players can read cds burned at 12X or lower. Is there any advantage besides compatibility for burning at below 12X?

Is there a quality difference?

I have heard that burning speed makes a difference but I would like to know why if that is true. It seems that if data is burned and it has no errors it should sound the same, I always burn at max speed, but… I would like to hear pros and cons if there are any. (Hate to think I’ve been listening to substandard sound and I can’t tell the difference!)

as far as i know, the only advantage to burning at a slower speed is compatibility, and even then it’s not necessarily true for all media. some tests have shown that discs that were designed for high speed burning have higher error rates when burned at low speed, presumably because the dye was designed for high speed.

there are some people who claim that higher burn speed lowers sound quality, but as of now it’s all hearsay to me. i have yet to see any evidence that supports this (such as tests conducted, etc).

As long as good (and compatible) media is used, there should be no problem with audio burned at higher speeds.

I usually burn audio at 16x, as I know this gives really good results, even on cheaper media. Not that I’m having problems with disks burned on higher speeds, but I just want to be shure my discs can play on any drive…

Plextor has a special writing mode for audio on their newer drives. This technique is called Varirec. With this feature, you can adjust the laser power slightly, to increase/decrease the quality of the sound, just as the compatibility of the written media. This technology is limited to 4x write speed.

i cannot argue with the experts, but i have herd that burning at 4x is the best for quality. Or the highest u wanna go with good quality is 8x…

but i have herd that burning at 4x is the best for quality.
Don’t believe everything which you read on cdrinfo…
Several people have told me that their player does only read CDs written at 4x, and till now, I was able to disprove all of them, without any exception, by using Taiyo Yuden media :slight_smile:

u r probably right master. :bow:

well, anyways my buner can go up to 4x :slight_smile: CHEAPass :wink: HP

Originally posted by Uberclocker
[B]I’ve heard that most cd players can read cds burned at 12X or lower. Is there any advantage besides compatibility for burning at below 12X?

Is there a quality difference? [/B]

I have burnt Audio CDs from 4x - 48x. No problems as yet.

But, CD-R media does make a difference. Some are compatible & some are not.

Even my sony disc-man which is not CD-R compatible can read 48x burnt audio cd fine.

Even my sony disc-man which is not CD-R compatible can read 48x burnt audio cd fine.

Eh? That means it IS compatible with CD-Rs!
:wink:

Originally posted by Bhairav

Eh? That means it IS compatible with CD-Rs!
:wink:

Yeah you can say that. :bigsmile:

But, the compatibility is not certified by Sony.

Latest players have the CD-RW & CD-R & other logos which ensure that they are 100% compatible.

My Sony VCD-Discman cannot read CD-RWs.

Plextor has a special writing mode for audio on their newer drives. This technique is called Varirec. With this feature, you can adjust the laser power slightly, to increase/decrease the quality of the sound, just as the compatibility of the written media. This technology is limited to 4x write speed.

and in some cases with the latest fw, also at 8x´s.(That goes with my 48x:er there is)/gs

The thing about the compatibility (CDR vs CDRW issue) is that the CDR (IIRC)is less reflective, allowing the laser on older CD devices to readit better. That is certainly the case on an older Philips CD Player (circa 1999), and Discman (c 1997) I have. They play CDrs burnt at 52X fine, yet even a 2X recorded CDRW will make them choke.
Only in recent times have the newer decks and portables begun to have CDRW compatibility, which is a GOOD thing. The burning at lower speeds was to ensure that jitter was eliminated, and good reads were obtained.

Originally posted by Bhairav
The thing about the compatibility (CDR vs CDRW issue) is that the CDR (IIRC)is less reflective, allowing the laser on older CD devices to readit better. That is certainly the case on an older Philips CD Player (circa 1999), and Discman (c 1997) I have. They play CDrs burnt at 52X fine, yet even a 2X recorded CDRW will make them choke.
Only in recent times have the newer decks and portables begun to have CDRW compatibility, which is a GOOD thing. The burning at lower speeds was to ensure that jitter was eliminated, and good reads were obtained.

Bingo :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: