Burning Audio CDs from Wav

Hi,

I tried to lessen the time it takes for my Nero Sample Program takes to burn by first converting my MP3s to Wav files. However, when i burn these Wav files (using an altered version of the NEROCOM Sample , to accomadate MP3,WAV and WMA), it takes the same amount of time to burn. I would have thought that burning Wav files would be much quicker. Is there any reason for this?

Thanks.

Ryan

Generally, the format of your audio files should not influence the writing speed. What matters is your recorder speed and your media speed. For instance, some old rewritable discs can be written at max 4x so no matter if you use WAV or MP3, burning the disc will always take the same amount of time.

You should check your media’s supported writing speeds as well as your recorder’s. Also, if you haven’t modified the sample application much, I believe it has a hardcoded speed of 4x in BurnIsoAudioCD. If you change this to 0, the disc will be written at maximum possible speed.

Alex,

Thanks for the response.

I modified it to burn at 52X. And am burning using 52X CDRs on a 52X (max) burner. I may have confused you by referring to it as burning speed. I actually meant the time required to convert to CDA and burn onto the CD. I recorded almost identical times burning the same audio CD from WAV and from MP3 Files. I would have thought that converting from MP3 to WAV to CDA would make the burn process much lengthier than if just converting from WAV to CDA. (CDA and WAV are not completely identical ? is it safe to assume that?)

Thanks.

Any help would be Awesome.

Ryan

Well, in your first post you said that it takes you the same time to burn an audio cd both from MP3 as well as from WAV. This should imply that the format itself is not very important. Nowdays with really fast processors decoding speed for an MP3 file is not a big issue. Now, I am not sure about 52x but generally it shouldn’t matter if your source files are WAV or MP3.

As far as CDA and WAV being identical, that is hard to say. WAV file is only a file format and it can contain audio data encoded with many different codecs. If you assume a 16 bit, stereo, PCM WAV file then I guess you can say that CDA and WAV are identical. It is better said that audio tracks are RAW uncompressed audio but it is hard to refer to it as a file in terms of disk files.

Thanks Alex.

That makes a lot of sense what you said.
So if the preprocessing required to convert MP3s to WAVs are almost negligible is there any other way you can think of to decrease the ‘burning’ time? I was under the impression that initially this ‘conversion’ factor was a bottleneck to the time of the burn.

Ryan

The bottleneck is both the speed of your recorder and the speed of your media. I can’t be too sure about high burning speeds (e.g. 52x), but for lower speeds the conversion should not be an issue. You can always perform a test and see if it makes a difference.