Burning an .MKV File to

Hey everyone,

Long time reader here, finally had the reason to write :slight_smile:

First off I’d like to point out that the only “HD” piece of hardware I have is my 22" LG monitor 2ms-GTG 5ms 8000:1. My computer is more than capable to run 1080p, I would just rather have it on my TV. Also what I am burning are TV shows recorded by my HDTV tuner.

Essentially, I would like to run my .MKV files off of my 360, but I would also like to have them available for a future BD Player. Is that possible? That would make this so much easier…If so what programs would I need to encode the file to get this done?

My assumption is that if I burn the .MKV file to a DL disc for a DVD player I would lose the quality and the resolution thus having .mkv is pointless, as I might as well convert to .avi and burn those rather than do .mkv and let my 360/future BD player upconvert.

That being said, since I’ve gone HD I really do not want to go back to non-HD thus converting to .avi is what I’m trying to avoid.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

MKV is a container as is AVI, MP4…If you research the xbox 360 supported formats you’ll see that you cannot just burn an .MKV file to disc and expect the xbox to play it…

You need to convert or better yet,extract the video and audio streams from mkv and re-package/re-mux back to a supported container…AVI or MP4…
Of course you can just play the MKV on your PC and not sweat it…
I’ve used both Megui and Xvid4PSP to convert mkv to .mp4 with great results…Xvid4PSP is a little more user friendly…
For extraction try mkvextract Gui…

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv_content_on_xbox_360.cfm

Will a BD player be able to play such disc? Or would I be looking into burning it again for BD playback?

Chances are that they may work for a PS3, but not guaranteed to work on BD player as most(if not all), need a BD structured file ( AVCHD/BDMV,Certicate folder)…Xvid4PSP has a Xbox/PS3 profile that will/should create a compatible file…Try it…

Thanks for the help :slight_smile: If it doesn’t work I think I’ll just resort to converting to .WMV.

Cheers

No prob! Good luck!:cool: