Burning a movie..help

vbimport

Okay I used to burn movies from my pc, make back ups, home movies. All of it. Its been about 2 years since I have done anything (burner died) and I totally forget what to do! I have some programs still. (I have formatted my pc since.) But I don’t know which ones do what. I have an avi home movie that I would like to start with, then a couple of kid movies I would like to back up. Can anyone point me in the right direction…and please-in English! I dont understand a lot of the conversations I read on here. I am just a step over novice in the pc world. :smiley:
If it matters my new burner is an lg gsa-h42l and I installed the software that came with it. Nero express Incd, powerproducer, & powerdvd.

Thankx.

Christine

Ok, lets start with backing up the kids’ movies. I’m assuming they are commercially made dvds. Download a free program called RipIt4Me. Found here: http://www.ripit4me.org/
Read the guide at that site, it is very thorough. In wizard mode, it is simple to use and will produce a dvd movie that is the correct size to burn to a recordable dvd disk.

You can use Nero to burn your dvd-video, so that is probably the simplest path to take.

Now for the avi movie you have. Since you already have PowerProducer, you could try it. I’m not a big fan of Cyberlink’s software, other than PowerDVD, but it should be fairly simple to import the avi and convert it to dvd format. Just open the software, select dvd as the output and import the avi. Making a menu may be an option as well. There should be a guide included with the software, or you can download it from Cyberlink’s online site.

There are other choices for this process of course, including software from Ulead, Nero and others. One popular program around here seems to be ConvertXtoDVD.

I’m not sure how much in the way of details you are looking for, so I may not be helping much here.

P.S. If you buy your blank dvds locally, get Verbatim brand. Safest choice for good quality.

You can’t have better advise than above given.

Okay, thanks for all the advice. Another question. when I burned the movie in the power producer it plays back okay (which I was actually pretty excited about!) but the image is stretched looking (up & down). Even when I just open an avi in the producer before its even burned, in the preview it looks stretched.???
Do you know where I can get ConvertXtoDVD?? I tried a download but it says it leaves a watermark. I thought maybe somewhere else might have a full version?
Thanks.

Oh just wanted to add, I have dvdsanta, a bunch of different divx “things”, and ulead video studio. I am not sure if any of these would be better or not, and the divx things…well, I don’t even remember why I got them! lol

Sounds like your avi had a different resolution than the dvd standards and PowerProducer didn’t do a good job of converting. Not surprising. If you are in the US, dvd resolution is usually 720 x 480, in Europe and other places that use PAL, the normal resolution is 720 x 576.

ConvertXtoDVD is a commercial program, so if you want the version that doesn’t leave a watermark, you’d have to pay for it. $40 or so I believe. There is an older version that some people still use that is free. You can find it here: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/Audio-Video/vsoDivxToDVD.html
The user interface isn’t as polished, but it is free after all.

I don’t use dvdsanta, so I’ll leave that for someone else to advise you. Your Ulead program may be a better choice than anything else we’ve mentioned, depending on which version you have. I would explore that program’s capabilities if I were you. It should work in a similar fashion to the Cyberlink program you tried, but I’d hope it would give a better result.

Here is another free conversion program that you can try, called Super: http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html You’ll have to click on download on three successive pages to actually start downloading by the way. What a stupid way to set up their site!

So, that should give you some things to try. Let us know how it goes.

Well one thing I noticed is that the movie was in wide screen and it was playing/and burned in full screen. Don’t know if that made a difference or not, but I did another movie and it worked great! I converted in dvdsanta, then I burned in nero. I want to try the other programs next. And I can’t wait to back up a dvd! My son is a Polar Express-aholic! We have actually purchased [B]3[/B] movies already(the same one)! I am ready for a back up!!!
Thanks so much for all your help AND your quick replys. I’m sure I will be back with more questions with my next burn :wink: , but I just want you to know that its great to have help.
It is very frustrating when you don’t know what the heck your doing!!