Burning a lot of coasters since V6 was released

I am burning a lot more coasters than usual. I used to get one failure every 200 disks. Now I am having to try 2-3 times per DVD to get a functional backup.

I have tried both the VSO burning engine and IMGburn. I have a 16x capable burner and I have tried setting the burn speed to 8x.

Disk will not play in any of my 3 DVD players and my portable DVD player actually identifies the media as DVD-R rather than DVD+R.

Here is the log from my latest failure.

I 19:35:33 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!
I 19:35:33 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)
I 19:35:33 Total Physical Memory: 3,142,684 KB - Available: 1,725,628 KB
I 19:35:33 Initialising SPTI…
I 19:35:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 19:35:33 Found 1 DVD±RW!
I 19:35:33 Operation Started!
I 19:35:33 Building Image Tree…
I 19:35:33 Checking Directory Depth…
I 19:35:33 Calculating Totals…
I 19:35:33 Preparing Image…
I 19:35:33 Checking Path Length…
I 19:35:33 Contents: 41 Files, 2 Folders
I 19:35:33 Content Type: DVD Video
I 19:35:33 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 19:35:33 Volume Label: CHRYSALIS
I 19:35:33 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled
I 19:35:33 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
I 19:35:33 TV System: NTSC
I 19:35:33 Size: 3,790,233,600 bytes
I 19:35:33 Sectors: 1,850,700
I 19:35:33 Image Size: 3,790,897,152 bytes
I 19:35:33 Image Sectors: 1,851,024
I 19:35:33 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00
I 19:35:33 Operation Started!
I 19:35:33 Source File: -==//[BUILD IMAGE]/==-
I 19:35:33 Source File Sectors: 1,851,024 (MODE1/2048)
I 19:35:33 Source File Size: 3,790,897,152 bytes
I 19:35:33 Source File Volume Identifier: CHRYSALIS
I 19:35:33 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.4.4.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
I 19:35:33 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 19:35:33 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 19:35:33 Destination Device: [0:1:0] PBDS DVD±RW DH-16W1S 2D14 (E:) (ATAPI)
I 19:35:33 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00) (Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
I 19:35:33 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
I 19:35:33 Write Mode: DVD
I 19:35:33 Write Type: DAO
I 19:35:33 Write Speed: 8x
I 19:35:33 DVD+R Reserve Track: No
I 19:35:33 Link Size: Auto
I 19:35:33 Lock Volume: Yes
I 19:35:33 Test Mode: No
I 19:35:33 OPC: No
I 19:35:33 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 19:35:33 Filling Buffer… (40 MB)
I 19:35:35 Writing LeadIn…
I 19:36:09 Writing Session 1 of 1… (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 1851023)
I 19:36:09 Writing Track 1 of 1… (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 1851023)
I 19:42:16 Synchronising Cache…
I 19:42:20 Closing Track…
I 19:42:22 Finalising Disc…
I 19:43:11 Exporting Graph Data…
I 19:43:11 Graph Data File: C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\PBDS_DVD±RW_DH-16W1S_2D14_FRIDAY-MAY-29-2009_7-35_PM_SONY-D21-00_8x.ibg
I 19:43:11 Export Successfully Completed!
I 19:43:11 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:07:31
I 19:43:11 Average Write Rate: 10,114 KB/s (7.3x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,353 KB/s (8.2x)
I 19:43:11 Close Request Acknowledged
I 19:43:11 Closing Down…
I 19:43:11 Shutting down SPTI…
I 19:43:11 ImgBurn closed!

If it’s in the log I missed if you are booktyping that +R media as DVD-ROM or not. I would reccomend that you do if your drive supports booktyping. A +R DVD booktyped to DVD-ROM is the most compatible format for the most players out there.

Yes, I have that setting on.

I just got done doing some backup for a friend who supplied his own DVD which was Sony with the MID SONY-D21-00 and out of a 50 pack I ran into 7 or 8 disc’s that ImgBurn failed during the burn process and each time I got the failure to burn messgae all I did was pop in another blank and it would burn.
It is the reason I myself only use top quality media like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim anything else are low to poor quality and be a hit and miss.

Just my .02 cents :bigsmile:

Exactly where I was going next SJ. Also what is the rated speed of the media, the 16X rated speed of the drive is a lot less important than the rated speed of the media. Set the write speed to half of the media rated speed if not TY or Verbs.

I should have been more specific. I am not getting the failure to burn message when copying. The copy completes successfully but the disk is unplayable.

The first 10 or so of these spindles have worked fine for me, then I upgraded.

This media is rated for 16x.

The quality of SONY disks will vary from spindle to spendle, are these failures from a new spindle? Can even vary within a spindle as SJ said.

[QUOTE=SPHinTampa;2283932]Yes, I have that setting on.[/QUOTE]

The quality of the media you use is important…yes…but so is the burner.

From what I could read of your burn log you’re running Vista on a Dell Laptop with the PBDS burner installed (actually a Lite-On burner re-branded as a Dell product), and most of what I’ve been able to find on that burner is not flattering.

It apparently has a horrible time with dual layer discs (whatever brand) and its handling of single layer discs is dicey, at best.

That it’s worked so far up to your update is lucky for you, but things may be catching up to you.

Would suggest, if you can, to see if Dell can update you to a better burner, as the Imgburn log doesn’t show anything wrong, and by rights, the burned DVD should play.

If you have VLC Media Player on your system, try one of your non-playing discs on it, see if it will play, and if there are any problems with the burn.

Please let us know.

OC

:slight_smile:

I agree with O Canada. I use an Acer laptop. :sad: and yes I had issues after a while burning dl’s on the drive. Can I suggest you get an external burner. The quality of media you are using is not an issue to you. So why spend money that you may not need. If your dvd reads on your laptop then just use it for that or get a good external burner and read and burn. I have great results with this. I use Imgbrn in build mode and no coasters. Just a suggestion.

:bigsmile:

Media and Burner are very important, but using a Laptop like a Workstation won’t cut it either. Laptops are portable computers that usually run very hot, and terrible to do any heavy Video work.

I am running on a Dell 2.4 GHz quad core desktop with 2 GB of memory.

Does anyone have suggestions on a better drive than the lightscribe.

The disks behave as follows

• will work in same PC DVD drive, playable via windows media player
  • will not work in toshiba portable DVD player (5 years old)
  • will work occasionally in samsung upscaling DVD player (6 months old)
  • will not work in panasonic DVD-Recorder

Here is the sample profile of a disk that will not work

PBDS DVD±RW DH-16W1S 2D14 (ATAPI)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,198,048
Size: 4,501,602,304 bytes
Time: 488:29:23 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
Session 1… (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2198047)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 2198048)

Track Information:
Session 1…
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, TS: 2198048, LRA: 0)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,394,655
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

And here is the drive speed analysis

General Information
Drive: PBDS DVD±RW DH-16W1S
Firmware: 2D14
Disc: DVD+R (SONY D21)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 1581
Average: 15.07
Total: 253570
PI failures
Maximum: 202
Average: 0.76
Total: 101873
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:34
Number of samples: 111701
Average scanning interval: 1.21 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

As an update to a previously asked question … the disks are only randomly readable on the same drive they were burned. One time I can access the DVD and play the movie in WMV and with other attempts on the same physical disk, the drive will not recognize the disk.

Booktyping is +R so it looks like your burner isn’t changing it to a DVDROM so that might be your problem with the movies not playing in your standalone players, so you might need to switch to -R’s opr like what was mentioned get another burner which will support booktyping

This might interest you.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43495&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

[QUOTE=SPHinTampa;2284162]As an update to a previously asked question … the disks are only randomly readable on the same drive they were burned. One time I can access the DVD and play the movie in WMV and with other attempts on the same physical disk, the drive will not recognize the disk.[/QUOTE]

Kind of a sad state of affairs, if the drive that burns the disc can’t even read it afterwards…

OC

I appreciate the helpful suggestions that I have received. I have purchased another spindle of disks to test (I am using single layer disks) and may just buy another burner from newegg.

I am confused why the burner would “go bad” within 6 months of purchase. Up until two weeks ago, it burnt pretty reliably. I have made no major changes to the system other than to upgrade to v6.

[QUOTE=SPHinTampa;2284888]I appreciate the helpful suggestions that I have received. I have purchased another spindle of disks to test (I am using single layer disks) and may just buy another burner from newegg.

I am confused why the burner would “go bad” within 6 months of purchase. Up until two weeks ago, it burnt pretty reliably. I have made no major changes to the system other than to upgrade to v6.[/QUOTE]

I hope that new spindle of discs were -Rs, and not +Rs.

It’s not a matter of your drive ‘going bad within 6 months’ …it’s a poor drive getting worse, and if you use the drive alot (=burn many DVDs), then it doesn’t take as long as you might think to age a drive.

A good one (Pioneer, Plextor, Sony, LG, etc.) will stand up to the pounding, but others just (if they don’t fold) bend under the load, and that affects your results.

As you’re aware, all products have a ‘built-in-obsolescence’ (sp??), and some reach their limit faster than others.

If your new spindle is -Rs, they will probably work a little better, but don’t expect sterling results.

OC

[QUOTE=SPHinTampa;2284888]I appreciate the helpful suggestions that I have received. I have purchased another spindle of disks to test (I am using single layer disks) and may just buy another burner from newegg.

I am confused why the burner would “go bad” within 6 months of purchase. Up until two weeks ago, it burnt pretty reliably. I have made no major changes to the system other than to upgrade to v6.[/QUOTE]

I wonder why all the responses to this post have focused on the hardware. The poster did not have this problem or the same magnitude with the prior version of the software. What if the problem is the software? I tried using version 6 and have left it off until something (whatever it is) that is wrong with it is resolved. Seems version 5 is the end of the road and the newer versions are about making money off those who paid for lifetime upgrades. Not quite charitable I guess but version 6 has been problematic for some, including me, and this present post says that much. It seems the problem is not so much the hardware but version 6.

[QUOTE=OmoJesu;2284902]I wonder why all the responses to this post have focused on the hardware. The poster did not have this problem or the same magnitude with the prior version of the software. What if the problem is the software? I tried using version 6 and have left it off until something (whatever it is) that is wrong with it is resolved. Seems version 5 is the end of the road and the newer versions are about making money off those who paid for lifetime upgrades. Not quite charitable I guess but version 6 has been problematic for some, including me, and this present post says that much. It seems the problem is not so much the hardware but version 6.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know if you’re going to read this or not, but I’ll take a stab at it.

First and foremost…when we consider a problem to look for an answer, one of many considerations is whether others are having a similar problem to the one we’re looking at. If, as in this case, it’s just this poster, so far, then if the problem was software, more people would be having the same problem, and we’d be aware of it.

Secondly, many of us, me included, try to duplicate the op’s problem on our systems, as a check to see if it might be software based. So far, no luck there. I can’t replicate his problem on my system.

You may have noted that the original comments seemed to focus on his media, as that is usually a good source area for his type of problem. But Sony discs, at least here in the frozen North, work very well (I have 2+ years of hard experience with them, and after hundreds of discs, have had 2 coasters…not a shabby result).

So I started looking elsewhere. Read product reviews, check out other forums (we certainly don’t have a lock on all the computer knowledge on the web), and various other areas. My search led me to focus on the drive the op has, because not much else satisfied all the parameters for the issues he was having.

Yes, there seems to be certain problems with v6.0.1.0, but this problem, in my estimation, ain’t one of them, and if one does this sort of thing long enough (help others) one soon learns that most problems are caused by inexperienced people using software they don’t fully understand.

Now, if you know any differently, please outline your methods for nailing the problem, and your solutions.

After all, I’m here to learn, too.

OC