Burning a dvd

:smiley: Hello and good day to all,
I know this is going to sound really stupid to 99.9% of the people in this forum, but if I knew the answer I wouldn’t need to ask the question…Here goes.
I have a cd burner on my computer but I would like to make a copy of a dvd that I recently purchased. I see free downloads for dvd burning but I assume that you must have a dvd burner to begin with. What do I need to accomplish my goal? I have a dvd player that is hooked up to my tv, so should I just purchase a dvd recorder and go that route? Thank you for any down to earth, easy to understand info any one might be able to impart to this “Granma”

Hi, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Not stupid at all!

It may be simplest to purchase a DVD burner (for your PC), and replace your existing CD burner with it. They’re pretty cheap these days.

Then download a free software, like DVDFlick, to back up your new DVD. :slight_smile:

What’s the make and model of the CD burner in your computer, just out of curiosity? You can find this in Device Manager if you’re using Windows.

Correction to the suggestion above, my brain isn’t switched on today :wink:

To backup a commercial movie DVD, you’ll need to download software like either DVDFab or the AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo (neither of which are free, but all offer trial periods, so you can see which suits). Rather than something like DVDFlick, which converts movie files to DVD format.