Burning a DVD (Optiarc AD-7203S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7203S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Firstly ‘Hello’ to everyone, and apologies in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong place (hope not :confused:)

I bought my Son new PC for Christmas, and for the last 3 weeks or so we’ve been trying to figure out how to burn DVDs. It’s something I’ve never done before. I’ve been googling for ages and found myself going round in circles, the whole thing is driving me mad now!

Whenever we burn a DVD it takes a while to complete but then when we remove and reinsert the disc it asks do we want to format the blank disc!
We’ve tried various freeware and shareware products to convert the files and burn them, as well as Windows DVD maker, but we keep getting the same message.

The machine is Packard Bell iMedia X2426 running Vista

The drive is Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S SCSI CdRom device

I’m sure I’m probably just overlooking something simple. If anyone can offer any advice it’s apreciated, I feel like chucking the thing out of the window!

Thanks, Bob’s Mum

Welcome to the forum Bob’s Mum.

What types of files are you trying to burn? Vista has a native burning engine that allows you to drag and drop data files to the dvd drive, but I prefer to use a dedicated burning program.

If you are trying to burn dvd-video, you will have to use a third party program. I like the free program called ImgBurn. www.imgburn.com
It is a burning program only, so if you need to convert video to dvd-video format, you’ll have to use something else. What format are your files in now?

We recommend Verbatim brand 16x disks. Have you tried these yet?

Ok, just to make things more complicated… I’ve just tried again and now I have a new problem:
It stopped at 99% and said "The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn’t exist"
Can anyone tell me what’s going on? :sad:

I’m not sure if it’s relevant but we did have a trial version of Nero that came installed on the computer, which I deleted.
Also, again, not sure of relevance, but I installed CCCP codec pack.

Cheers, Bob’s Mum.

Hi Kerry56, thanks for reply. Sorry, I hadn’t refreshed page and read your post before my second post.

We have sucessfully burned a data disc by simply copy and pasting as you said.
The files we are trying to burn are .avi files. I haven’t used the specific programmes you have reccomended, but I have tried others, none of which worked.

the discs we are using are maxell DVD+RW 1-4x speed (I’m not sure what the 1-4x bit means!)

That does sound like a codec problem. You might want to get the Nero cleaner tool from their site and get rid of any traces of Nero on the system. Removing the CCCP codec pack might be necessary, but before you do that, here is the first hit I got on your error message using a Google search: http://atpeaz.placidthoughts.com/index.php?/archives/244-The-owner-SID-on-per-user-subscription-doesnt-exist-error-on-DVD-Maker.html

Take a look through it.

If you are converting avi to dvd, you should look at a few other alternatives, most of which are free to use.

DVDFlick, AVStoDVD and FAVC all work on Vista and all are free to download and use. You can burn the output from any of those with ImgBurn.

ConvertXtoDVD is a popular commercial product for avi to dvd conversions. It is free to try, but leaves a watermark until you buy the program.

Here is one thing to help you on burning with ImgBurn.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86750

There are more here.

Hi Kerry56 & beef barley,

I had used the Nero removal tool, but found there were still traces of Nero left which I removed myself.
Regarding the message “The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn’t exist” I read through the helpful link you posted.

Whatever I read it seems to make references to codecs which leads me to think this could be the underlying problem. I’m not really sure I understand what they are, doh. We had to download codecs because originally the .avi files wouldn’t even play (using Windows Media Player) As far as I know we have the CCCP pack which includes FFDshow. I have also read about K-lite, but depending on what I’m reading one says it’s better than the other!

I’m willing to give other converting programmes and burning programmes a go, thankyou for the reccomendations, but as I’ve already tried some I’m thinking maybe I need to sort out these codecs first.

Can someone give me some expert advice on what codecs I should have please??

Hi,
I thought I’d provide an update…

I decided to remove the CCCP which incorporated FFDShow & DivX codecs/filters. I installed the Vista Codec Package instead.

Then I installed the programmes Kerry56 & beef barley suggested: DVDFlick & IMGBurn.

Everything was going well until the final stages of the burn and IMGBurn didn’t complete.

I joined the IMGBurn forum, posted the log file, and someone advised me that the problem was my discs.

I am going to buy Verbatim DVD R discs and try the whole process again.

I will keep this thread updated just incase anyone else may be experiencing similar problems.

Thankyou Kerry56 & beef barley for all the advice :slight_smile:

Cheers, Bob’s Mum.

:clap: Hoorah! :clap: It worked! :clap:

I’m so pleased, good old Verbartim!

Now that put a smile on my face knowing alls well now with you Kerry :slight_smile:
I read your thread, as am clueless in this field, so am perusing relevant info on the how to’s :slight_smile: