Burning a bluray

vbimport

Hi,

Im new to bluray burning as Ive just bought the LG super multi blu. It came with a25gb BD-RE, so I thought Id have a go at backing up one of my blurays.

I know there are allready threads on this but my problem is that the damn thing just refuses to burn bluray! It burns dvd and cd no probs.

Ive ripped the movie disc no probs with AnyDVD HD
Ive formatted the blank BD-RE to UDF 2.50
Then I TSREMUXED the rip (not sure if necessary as original rip was 22b but tried this to see if it burnt) no problem
I can create an ISO or IMG (not sure which I should use) in nero 8 or IMGburn

Now the fun part. I tried burning the ISO (and IMG) with Nero burning ROM and IMG burn. Ive tried to do build mode (the BDMV and certificate folder) in IMG burn directly onto the disc. Ive tried to burn the BDMV and certificate folder from nero express (I made sure both were set to UDF 2.5).

No matter how I try and burn it takes about 8 hours to get to 15%ish then just says burn failed (IMG burn and nero).

As far as I can tell from this forum Ive done everything correctly its literally just getting it to actually burn to disc. The image files play when i mount them to a virtual drive. At one point i burnt in 43 mins but when i tried playback in ps3 it was a data disc. i have not been able to repeat this.

Please if anyone has any ideas let me know. Sorry this is so long but I want you to realise I have actually read up on this b4 posting. Thanks!

Mick,

If the original movie is in 25GB single layer as you said, making the back up is pretty easy, here is what I usually do:

• Rip with AnyDVD HD
    Right click the icon and select “Rip Video DVD to harddisk…” Wait until finish, will be around 30 minutes for a single layer movie. It will be saved in a folder (usually the folder name is the title of the movie) and contain BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders.

• Open ImgBurn.
    First you will need to set ImgBurn to burn without verification so the burning process will be faster. Click Tools - Settings and select Write tab. Make sure the “DVD-RAM / BD-RE Fastwrite” is checked. Then press OK to go to the ImgBurn main menu. Select Mode - Build. Drag using Explorer both BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder into ImgBurn, and then Burn. ImgBurn will automatically check if it’s a Blu-ray structure then it will set to UDF2.50 (you need to read the warning and OK).

That’s all you need to do, only 2 steps process for burning a single layer movie.

If you want to make an ISO so that you can mount and watch it later on your PC, your method above is also correct, although I would only use ImgBurn with AnyDVD HD enabled in the background.

If it’s stuck at 15%, I would say it’s a bad disc but to make sure please attach ImgBurn log file next time.

Hi zaina,

Thanks for you help. I tried your method and it burnt fairly quickly and got to 100% this time!

When I put it in my PS3 it still said data disc though.

I think you might be right about my disc as it is refusing to format right now. I just want to get this to work once. if i was using BD-R id have about 50 coasters right now.

Please do a couple things.

Open ImgBurn Read Mode and please verify that the file system is UDF2.50 as in attachment arrow #1.

Then secondly, please let us know what is the Disc ID (#2 arrow).

I was using an LG disc, it was definitely udf 2.50, i formatted it a hundred times with instant burn, its buggered now i think as it wont format with instant burn or windows.

File Sys: Unknown
BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: LGEBRE-S01-00
Disc Type: BD-RE

I got some verbatim bd-rs (details below) is it worth trying one of those?
Disc ID: VERBAT-IMa-00
Disc Type: BD-R

I copied the img file off the old disc b4 i formatted it to death. the mds file was on there too, would that make a difference? i was going to try and write just the img file but i killed the disc

[quote=Mick0204;2091886]I was using an LG disc, it was definitely udf 2.50, i formatted it a hundred times with instant burn, its buggered now i think as it wont format with instant burn or windows.

BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: LGEBRE-S01-00
Disc Type: BD-RE[/quote]This disc have blu-ray movie in it? Or was it after you reformatted? If it has a blu-ray movie and File Sys “Unknown”, that will be the issue. File system should be UDF2.50 in order to work (on your PS3 or other players).

I got some verbatim bd-rs (details below) is it worth trying one of those?
I really would suggest you try with a BD-RE first until you’re comfortable burning blu-ray. If your LG BD-RE disc is bad, maybe you can try getting a Verbatim, Panasonic, TDK, or Sony BD-RE disc. Try with one BD-RE until your succesful and then you can go with BD-R. Just a suggestion.

It had a bdmv on it data disc style. I reformatted it so i could try writing just the img file but it got messed up and is now a coaster. It was definitely 2.5 before its horrible death. See my instant burn settings. So yes NOW it is unknown because its f***ed, but prior to that it was 2.5.

Ive ordered a tdk bd-re so guess il wait 4 that.

Im guessing that my long burning times were caused by “DVD-RAM / BD-RE Fastwrite” not being checked, and if i write just the img file without the mds it will work on the ps3, but il play it safe and wait for the bdre. I dont want another coaster, at least that disc was free!

i got a verbatim bd-re today. I put that in and tried burning the iso file with img burn and… success! Looks like it was that crappy free disc all along.

Thanks for your help guys.

Thanks for getting back to us Mick. Verbatim is a very good disc.
Let us know your burning progress and come back here often! :wink: