Burning 800 Meg?

i’m trying to burn a 813 meg mpeg movie onto 1 700 meg cdr. is this possible ? my burner is a Plextor Plexwriter capable of overburning. i just downloaded Nero 5.5.9.9. I tried to burn and it successfully burn’t a frisbee LOL !!! What am i doing wrong ? Thank you for your help.

joso the newbie

800mb into 700mb? Not with Nero or any normal software, you got three choices:

-Get some 90/94min (cause Plextor seems to be able to use 94mins of a 99min cd-r) and burn it on that.

-Use one of those programs that changes your data into audio waves and then burn it like that, but its experimental, have less error correction, and u need the software to be able to convert it back to usable data again.

-Or split the data into two cds.

thanks for the reply.

I have been successful converting the 800 meg mpg file into a vcd .bin/.cue using VCDImagerGUI. I then loaded the .cue into CDRWin 4.0 and burnt the cd. I can now play the vcd cd on my dvd player as well as using Windows Media Player 6.4 !

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

CD-r’s actually have 800 megs of space but use about 100 megs for error correction. You need to create a image file using Nero. Simply make a data disc like normal except check the box for create image. The image needs to be Mode 2/XA so make sure to Toggle between the wizard and regular dialog and change the output to Mode 2/xa.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
-Get some 90/94min (cause Plextor seems to be able to use 94mins of a 99min cd-r) and burn it on that.

Most/all(?) Plextor drives are limited to 94:59 minutes. I never tested it on my Plextor, since 89:99 gave many problems.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
[B]800mb into 700mb? Not with Nero or any normal software, you got three choices:

-Use one of those programs that changes your data into audio waves and then burn it like that, but its experimental, have less error correction, and u need the software to be able to convert it back to usable data again.

-Or split the data into two cds. [/B]

I can burn 855mb (including finaliztion) onto a 700mb cd using nero in mode 1 can 4x burn(using a Asus 4012a)

This has been talk about before:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51555&highlight=mode1

Originally posted by PaRaNoiD
[B]I can burn 855mb

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51555&highlight=mode1 [/B]

Apparently you didn’t understand the explanation in the link you provided yourself. Your 855MB is raw data which translates to 745MB of mode 1 data.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

Apparently you didn’t understand the explanation in the link you provided yourself. Your 855MB is raw data which translates to 745MB of mode 1 data. [/B]

Get over it,so i wrote it the wrong way,im sure they would have worked it out.

So seeing i don’t understand it why don’t you explain the difference’s between Raw and Mode1.

Ok.
Measuring CDs in “Megabytes” is actually crap!

A CD which is labeled as “700 MB” contains 360.000 sectors. Overburning is, depeding on the media, usually possible up to 367.000. The most I achieved once on a Taiyo Yuden media was 371.000.

If you burn normal data CDs (“Mode 1”), a sector can store 2048 bytes of your data. Then, 360.000 sectors are 737.280.000 bytes, which is about 702 MB. In Mode 1, your burner will add 276 bytes of C3-error correction data.

If you burn “Mode 2 Form 1”, then you can still only store 2048 bytes of user data per sector, but the burning software must calculate the C3-or correction data. Therefore, burning unreadable sectors is possible (in simply writing crap error correction data).

If you burn “Mode 2 Form 2”, no C3-error correction data is stored, so there is more space for your files. One sector can then store 2324 bytes of user data, so 360.000 sectors can then store 836.640.000 bytes, which is 798 MB.

If you burn RAW, which is only done for audio and “raw images”, one sector can store 2352 bytes, so 360.000 sectors can then contain 846.720.000 bytes, which is 807 MB. Burning of plain data files in RAW mode is not possible, it would result in an unreadable disc.

If you have a clonecd image, then there will be additionally 96 bytes per sectors subchannel data for each sector, which is additional 96*360.000 = 34.560.000 bytes, i.e. 33 MB.

That’s why a full clonecd image of a “700 MB”-disc is 840 MBs large.

The burner will add more error correction data later, so that one sector contains 3232 bytes later, but current burners do not allow to interfere into this process in any way, so “RAW”-burning and subchannel writing (“RAW-DAO-96”) with 2352+96 bytes/sector is the “best” mode.

How do you burn using Mode 2 Form2? I only see Mode2/XA in Nero and it doesn’t seems to go above 800MB when I use that option.
And also when using Form2, will your data damage by any way? :confused: Just wondering… :slight_smile:

You must make an image using Mode2CDMaker if you want to burn Mode 2 Form 2.

No, it won’t damage your data, but some writers (such as Cyberdrive 058D) can’t write these images, and some crappy readers, as LG 16x DVD-ROM, can’t read such discs.

Of course, since you have less error correction with M2F2, you must make sure not to use crap discs and not to scratch them.

1. Is there any way to convert an existing image into Form2?
  2. If not, is there any good GUIs out there that can measure the image size and a feature to mark all files in Form2?
  3. LiteOn Drives can burn Form2 images, am I right?
  4. Well, can you give a example about the “error correction” that you are talking about? Like in Normal mode, a little scratch won’t do anything to the disc and in Mode2, a little scratch will do a lot? Please Explain! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1: You can af course mount an existing image into daemon tools, extract your movie file, and make a new image from it.

2: There is a GUI for Mode2CDMaker: Mode2CDMaker GUI (no, i don’t know if the page is available in english, my french is good enough at least to get the main idea)

3: Most drives can burn these images correctly, LiteOn also can:

4: A small scratch on a mode 2 form 2 disc won’t do anything either (there’s still C1 and C2 error correction), but a bad scratch which is still readable in mode 1 can cause read errors in mode 2 form 2. Therefore, you must not use crap discs.

1. No, I just want to do BIN -> BIN converting. Or I can say (Form1 -> Form2)

2. This program isn’t English at all, can’t get around with it…

3. That’s great news to hear! :slight_smile:

4. I see. :wink:

New Question:
5. Is it only this tool that can do it? Is there any other tools? or can I somehow do it in Nero? :confused:

I though i’ve seen that program in english, too…here it is.

As to your questions.

1: No
5: you can also use the command line version, but you won’t like it.