Burning 100GB BDXL discs

vbimport

What software might be needed to burn a 100GB TL BDXL data disc? I’m assuming my trusty old Nero v8 might not like these discs.

Imgburn should be able to burn BDXL, but I don’t have any personal experience with this:

[QUOTE=CDan;2783949]What software might be needed to burn a 100GB TL BDXL data disc? I’m assuming my trusty old Nero v8 might not like these discs.[/QUOTE]
Another factor is can the drive read 100GB media? If it can then it should be able to burn 100GB media. The problem then lies in what program can do it-unless the software maker states it can then you will have to first insure the program can do it before buying 100GB media.

1. Can drive read 100GB
  2. Can software burn to 100GB media
  3. Can drive burn to 100GB media

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2783968]Imgburn should be able to burn BDXL, but I don’t have any personal experience with this:

I wouldn’t have thought of that, thanks.

Well I was wrong about my ancient Nero-8 software. Its happily burning away on a BDXL disc. Sometime later today I’ll know if it actually worked. Burning at 2x it’ll take somewhere between 3 and 4 hours to complete an 80GB burn.

If Nero 8 doesn’t work, try CDburnerXP.

I still use Nero 8 most of the time, but it doesn’t work properly with my Lite-On eHBU312 (constantly stopping & starting while writing BD-R discs). Although it worked fine with BD-RE discs (:confused:) and my Pioneer drives. (And IIRC my 1st generation Sony-badged iHAS112.)

Using CDburnerXP instead solved that problem. Also problems I was having with my PX-716a/al, when used with non-JMicron USB bridges.

Tip: Make sure you chose the download link on CDburnerXP’s web site which doesn’t include the ([I]alleged[/I]) spyware. Or chose the portable version.

So it worked fine. Don’t seem to be able to find anything to do a full transfer rate test though. Optidrive freaks out and goes into an endless error loop just trying to read the disc label.
An old version of DiscSpeed will TRT the disc but only displays the first 2 layers.

ImgBurn should be able to verify the disc by reading it and it can also show a graph of the verify-speed. I don’t remember if you need to install a plugin or if ImgBurn can show the graph on its own.

EDIT:

You’ll need to use something like BurnPlot to view the graph from within ImgBurn:

^^^
That sorta works, but still doesn’t correctly mark the data size.

Opti can open my graph data files too. Maybe that’ll handle bdxl better.

Failing that, you will be out of luck unless dvdinfopro can do it.

Anyway its interesting what’s happening with the RPM vs data rates on the different layers. Apparently the data density is changing across the 3 layers. At least when reading.

Burnplot’s rpm line is incorrect. Don’t rely on it for anything :slight_smile:

^^^
Perhaps but I was seeing similar RPM indications in DiscSpeed.

My point being, the layers are the same and burn from beginning to end in OTP style of inner to outer, outer to inner, inner to outer, outer to inner.

It probably doesn’t know how to adjust the x axis label for bdxl either, so it’s using what it would for normal 50gb media.