Burners don't last

Does anyone have any idea how long burners usually last? I have had to replace about 5 burners in about 6 years? It doesn’t seem right. They have all been HP lightscribe burners. Everything will be fine, then read and burn times will go through the roof.
I have an HP which has a “Restore” feature built in which returns the computers settings to a specific date I chose. This seems to solve the problem at first, but then the problem returns. After this process repeats a few times, it doesn’t seem to make a difference at all.
I have 2 burners on my system and the problem is definately with just one of them. I ran a test of the burner with PC Doctor, but it passed? Any ideas?

Burners are all like electrical equipment it can fail the day you put it into use or never or last so many years and finally just go out. There isn’t a real world test to see how long it will last as each person usage varies to much to give a definite answer. It’s like asking the chicken and the egg. You can do what you can in maintenance and cleaning of the laser lens to prolong it lifespan usage but as anything electronics will eventually stop working. But if you overwork the equipment it will shorten it’s lifespan as well. I stop using HP long time ago with bad experiences with their cdrw drives that for me was enough to say switcht to another drive. And now I use liteon drives and they have served me well. If your drives are still warranty I would say get it replaced and if not go with a different drive.

Maybe you could try resetting the DMA and DVDFab has an option in common settings to reset DMA and here’s a screenshot of it

[QUOTE=georgek49;2468058]Does anyone have any idea how long burners usually last? I have had to replace about 5 burners in about 6 years? It doesn’t seem right. They have all been HP lightscribe burners. Everything will be fine, then read and burn times will go through the roof.
I have an HP which has a “Restore” feature built in which returns the computers settings to a specific date I chose. This seems to solve the problem at first, but then the problem returns. After this process repeats a few times, it doesn’t seem to make a difference at all.
I have 2 burners on my system and the problem is definately with just one of them. I ran a test of the burner with PC Doctor, but it passed? Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

As my good Friend GJ pointed out resetting the transfer rate back to DMA mode usually takes care of most read and write issues, as far as “how long burners usually last” that can depend on how well you maintain the drive/burner.

I have 7 drives/burners dating back to 2002 and they all are still working great, I personally find that by cleaning the disc whether it is brand new or not before you put it into the drive tray helps eliminate the chances of the lens getting dirty, if the lens gets to dirty the drive has to work harder because it has to keep refocusing during the read process :eek: course this is only my .02 cents and how I do things but hey works for me :bigsmile:

[B]SJ[/B]

Thanks for the replys, I’ll try the DMA reset. It must have something to do with settings or software, because as i said, if I “Restore” my computer, it usually helps at first.

As my good friends said it sure sounds like that 1 burner fliped back to the PIO mode instead of the DMA mode, resetting it back to DMA should fix your problem, and I have a Pioneer burner that is 8 years old and still burns just fine but it is only a 4X burner so I don’t use it very much anymore but it still works

I just reset the DMA and it worked on the first try! Hopefully it continues. If that was the problem, I’ll be a little pissed since I’ve easily replaced 3 burners in the past for the same problem. Which would mean I wasted my $.
What exactly is “DMA” and “PIO” anyway?

DMA = Direct Memory Acess, PIO = Program Input Output, Here this will explain it better http://winhlp.com/node/10

Well glad you got it working again and do you still have those drives in the closet.