Burner won't recognize DVD's

vbimport

Recently, my burner suddenly stopped recognizing any DVD’s (DVD+R, DVD+RW). It still works with CD’s though. I tried a cleaning disk. I have reinstalled my Nero software. I have tried accessing a disk though other multimedia programs and even through Linux with no success.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I buy a replacement drive?

Thanks…John :confused:

Burner: LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Model #: GH22np20)

Possibly laser issues…Or maybe a firmware upgrade is needed…Did you use Nero’s clean tool to uninstall properly before re-installing?.Try it if you didn’t already…Here’s a thought, you could just un-install Nero and go with Imgburn instead…Just my 2cents is all!..Good luck!..:wink:

Probably a faulty laser. The drive uses different lasers for dvds vs cds.

Try booting from a bootable DVD to be sure it’s not a software problem.

According to the initial post, the drive has been tried in a Linux environment also.
For me, this indicates a hardware fault. Must not be necessarily the drive that’s defective, I have seen similar issues (DVD media not recognized) with a faulty power supply.

Michael

Thanks for the responses. I agree. It’s probably the hardware. Guess it’s time for a new drive.

@JRalph:

Before attaching another optical drive to the controller of the drive that does not seem to be working correctly, examine and test the controller the optical drive is connected to.

It has been my experience (especially with DELL branded computers) that, due to a bad controller (often were the IDE one on the DELLs), optical drives could become damaged.

When a good optical drive is connected to the bad controller, the drive might become defective (damaged). For DVD discs supporting drives, multiple times, I have noticed such damage manifest as an inability to read CD type discs while still being able to work with DVD type discs.

^since the storage controllers are part of the motherboard chipset, then a “defective controller” (interesting how to find out) means the entire motherboard has to be replaced.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2568724]^since the storage controllers are part of the motherboard chipset, then a “defective controller” (interesting how to find out) means the entire motherboard has to be replaced.[/QUOTE]If the controller being used is defective, the motherboard might not have to be replaced if either:[ol]
[li]The defective controller is not on the motherboard (such as on a daughterboard or expansion card)
[/li][li]The defective controller can be repaired (not often performed)
[/li][li]The defective controller is not necessary (another controller might be usable)
[/li][/ol]
Testing the controller may be done with specialized equipment or by pluging-in a known working device into the controller and testing the device on the controller (this could lead to the damaging of the connected device).