Burner won't recognize blank DVD discs

Hello, I’m having an issue with my dvd/cd burner. It reads cds and printed dvds fine–but it doesn’t detect blank dvds. I mean by this when I go to My Computer and double click the drive, it says to insert a disk into the drive. I’ve tried multiple blank disks, and none have worked as of yet. As a note, I’ve never burned using this drive before. It’s a LG GSA-H20L that came with this HP (Windows Vista). So far I’ve tried uninstalling the drive and rebooting–which didn’t work–and tried using different burning software to see if that would make a difference. I’m stumped on what to do, thanks for any help.

I downloaded the firmware for it to see if that would help, but I have no clue on how to load a .bin file on windows vista…

Help??

[QUOTE=k10magic;1942833]Hello, I’m having an issue with my dvd/cd burner. It reads cds and printed dvds fine–[B]but it doesn’t detect blank dvds.[/B] I mean by this when I go to My Computer and double click the drive, it says to insert a disk into the drive. I’ve tried multiple blank disks, and none have worked as of yet. As a note, I’ve never burned using this drive before. It’s a LG GSA-H20L that came with this HP (Windows Vista). So far I’ve tried uninstalling the drive and rebooting–which didn’t work–and tried using different burning software to see if that would make a difference. I’m stumped on what to do, thanks for any help.

I downloaded the firmware for it to see if that would help, but I have no clue on how to load a .bin file on windows vista…

Help??[/QUOTE]

Because windooze/explorer cannot deal with BLANK dvd media.
Please install a proper burning app like Imgburn, Nero, cdburnerxp, etc. then try again. Do not use explorer - its a buggy tool and would be a futile attempt.
BTW, I see you are using vi$ta?!? Then the dvd burner should be able to burn the dvd media without a problem, if the media is supported.

[quote=chef;1942861]Because windooze/explorer cannot deal with BLANK dvd media.
Please install a proper burning app like Imgburn, Nero, cdburnerxp, etc. then try again. Do not use explorer - its a buggy tool and would be a futile attempt.
BTW, I see you are using vi$ta?!? Then the dvd burner should be able to burn the dvd media without a problem, if the media is supported.[/quote]

That’s the thing, I know for sure that the LG GSA-H20L should be able to burn a movie on to a DVD+RW disc… but it won’t even detect the disc despite what program I use!

I’ve tried the burning software that came with Vista, I’ve tried Ashampoo Burning Studio 7, I’ve tried express burn… and a couple of others. None of them detect the disc either!

Then you need to use other media, probably the DVD+RW youhave is not supported or fake.

Like I said I already tried multiple different discs.

I tried DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD double layer or something… I forget what it was called.

I’m stuck.

Drive might be dead, as far as burning is concerned?

Here’s an idea. Is there any emulation software (Alcohol, Daemon Tools, Virtual CloneDrive etc) installed?

No Clue. How would I go about finding that out, or installing it?

If you don’t know whether you have it, chances are you don’t. :slight_smile:

No need to install it if you don’t, BTW - I only asked because there’s a setting in that type of software that hides the media type.

Here is a screenshot from yet another burning software I tried:
http://bizkitproductions.com/screenshot.jpg

There is a disc inside but it still says “No Disc”… again it always says this no matter what options I select, and what program I use.

I’ve tried a FujiFilm DVD-R disc (compatible with 1x to 16x drivers & recorders) and I’ve tried a fujifilm DVD+RW disc (up to 4x)… both are 120 min and 4.7 GB

I’ve also tried a DVD double layer disc.

None of the discs worked, on all of the software I used.

I guess I’ll just need to buy a new DVD drive.

http://bizkitproductions.com/screenshot.jpg