Burner wont recognise my CDs

Hey there, except for a few small issues with my burner I’ve always been able to make CD/DVDs successfully.

I have just bought some new DVDs and none of them seem to work. They are DVD-R. When i put them in it just tells me there is nothing in the drive and sometimes causes the PC to freeze for minutes. I tried my friends DVDs too which are DVD-RW and the same thing happens.

Is this because something has gone wrong with my CD burner or is it that im using minus instead of plus DVDs (i don’t know what DVDs i used to use when it worked). DVD-R is older than DVD+R so surely if i can do +R then the burner should be compatible for -R too!

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edit: I just tried to burn an ISO to a regular CD and it worked fine. The above problem i have is when i try to burn a movie to DVD.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What model burner do you have, and what brand/speed are the DVD-Rs you’re trying to use?

Also, do you have Alcohol or Daemon Tools on your PC?

Thanks.

I’m not sure what model it is, it came with my 5year old-ish HP pavilion PC.

These are the ones which are causing all the problems:

I also bought these and am using them as we speak, no problems yet:

I have alcohol 120% installed.

Any ideas?

Device Manager (under “DVD/CD-ROM drives”) should tell you the model of your drive. :slight_smile:

Though if your drive can burn +R DL fine (and non-Verbatim ones, no less!), I suspect it will have no problems burning -R media.

However…the -R media you’re using (RITEK G05) has been known to degrade badly shortly after burning, so perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise that you can’t use them.

I would suggest Verbatim -R media, or even Sony or HP -Rs.

Onto Alcohol…to eliminate this as a possible problem, now or in the future, go into Alcohol’s Settings, and under Emulation, make sure “Ignore Media Type” is not checked.

That, along with a switch to better media, should solve the problem :slight_smile:

Didn’t you answer your own question? You say you are now using some that are working… Many burners have problems with certain cheap media. All burners should do fine with good quality media, such as verbatim or taiyo yuden.

[quote=Arachne;2012751]Device Manager (under “DVD/CD-ROM drives”) should tell you the model of your drive. :slight_smile:

Though if your drive can burn +R DL fine (and non-Verbatim ones, no less!), I suspect it will have no problems burning -R media.

However…the -R media you’re using (RITEK G05) has been known to degrade badly shortly after burning, so perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise that you can’t use them.

I would suggest Verbatim -R media, or even Sony or HP -Rs.

Onto Alcohol…to eliminate this as a possible problem, now or in the future, go into Alcohol’s Settings, and under Emulation, make sure “Ignore Media Type” is [B]not[/B] checked.

That, along with a switch to better media, should solve the problem :)[/quote]

Thanks for the help, i checked alcohol and that’s not the problem.

This is what my device manager shows:

So you think its not the fact the the DVDs are -R, its because they are cheap?

The ones which worked were DL DVD+R and i later found that even those didn’t work! I burnt a few ISOs which apparently went fine, but when i put the DVDs in to load it up it wouldn’t recognise a DVD was even in the drive.

:sad:

Try some better quality media, and see if that changes things…

I just tried with some Maxell DVD-RW ver1.1 4.7GB DVDs and had the exact same problem. Are these still too cheap?

Unfortunately yes. :frowning:

Maxell rebrand discs by different manufacturers, and the only RW media I’d use is Verbatim.