Burner won't read/write burnt cds

Hey, I’ve been having a bit of trouble with my CD burner lately. It used to work fine (well, not fine … but it worked). Nowadays, it’s decided it doesn’t want to work.

Ok, the problem: the burner will read normal CDs fine, but if a recordable CD (blank or burnt) and it will REFUSE to read / accept the CD. If I pop a burnt CD in, it will not load, it will act as if there is no CD in the drive. If I try and burn onto a blank one, it will again refuse to accept that there is a CD in the drive. The CDs are all different brands / speeds, and the burner used to read / write them fine.

I suspect the problem may have something to do with the Windows service pack that I recently installed. I have Windows 2k, and I recently installed service pack #3, and after I installed it (or a while after, I’m a little unsure of the specifics), I found I couldn’t burn or read CDs. However, I’m not sure, as I can’t remember if the problem did start before the installation. I also removed another CD drive around the same time (just a normal CD drive, not a burner) but I doubt this has nything to do with it.
My CD(s) are both running off a separate IDE buse / channel to my two hard-drives. The burner is drive f as my old CD drive was drive e, and it didn’t change.

Alright, here are my system specs –

CPU: Duron 800
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7ZM (Via KT 133 Chipset)
CD Burner - Creative Labs CDRW 8x4x32 (its old I know …)
Heres the crap I found in the CD-ROM properties

Driver Provider: Microsoft (thats probably the problem …)
Driver Date: 11/14/1999
Driver Version: 5.0.2183.1
I have enabled and disabled digital audio with no success.
ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dear god someone plz help me!

Maybe the laser lens is dusty and/or dirty :confused:

Try cleaning it carefully!
If that doesn’t help… :frowning: